Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#4581 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 11:45 AM

WJA has pulled its YLW (Kelowna) -> YYZ (Toronto) service due to lack of aircraft with the Max 8's parked up.

"Flights between Toronto and Kelowna have been suspended from June 3 through June 27, 2019. We are in the process of contacting affected guests who will be rebooked through either Calgary, Toronto or Edmonton on WestJet-operated flights." -
@WestJet

#4582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:13 AM

Air Transit has apparently nixed its seasonal services out of Kelowna, but it will maintain its services out of YYJ (for now).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4583 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

Yes, they nixed YYJ a few weeks back.

what a shocker, another airline has dumped YYJ

#4584 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

Delta says it plans to eventually offer free Wi-Fi on flights. The first step to achieving that goal, however, involves testing it on a handful of planes, beginning later this month. Starting May 13, the carrier will begin offering free service on 55 domestic flights per day.

https://www.google.c...this-month/amp/

#4585 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 07:23 AM

Victoria Airport Authority Shares 2018 Accomplishments and Future Plans with the Community at Annual Public General Meeting

May 10, 2019

Yesterday evening, Victoria Airport Authority (VAA) updated the local community on another exceptional year at its Annual Public General Meeting held at the Mary Winspear Centre in Sidney.

VAA highlighted some of the key accomplishments of 2018 including:

—  Marking the significant milestone of welcoming the two millionth passenger – serving 2.049 passengers representing 5.9% growth and another record-setting year for passenger volumes;

—  Strong financial results.  Revenues improved by 6.3% resulting in an improvement to the operating surplus by 4.2%.  YYJ Victoria International is one of two airports in the country debt-free;

—  Investing $15 million in capital investments in 2018 including the ongoing construction of the Lower Passenger Departure Lounge, the addition of 520 parking stalls and resurfacing Willingdon Road;

—  Receiving the Silver Wings Award from BC Aviation Council recognizing environmental protection and remediation of TenTen Creek and maintaining our Level 2 carbon accreditation by Airports Council International (ACI);

—  Maintaining strong ACI Airport Service Quality results among participating Canadian airports;

—  New air service for 2018 included Air Canada Montreal service, Air North Whitehorse service, and the introduction of the ultra-low cost carrier Flair Airlines with new service to Edmonton.

2019 will bring the completion of the expanded portion of the lower passenger departure lounge and start of renovations to the existing space, expansion of the main aircraft apron for commercial operations, Apron IV, the extension of Taxiway Echo East and planning for curb-side improvements for better utilization and passenger experience.

“Continuing to keep costs low for our air carriers while providing a first-class airport for our region will always be our focus,” said Geoff Dickson, President and CEO.  “Ensuring our costs remain among the lowest in the country while continuing to pursue new air service, improve the customer experience and maintaining safety is where our efforts remain.”

Guests in attendance received a detailed progress report of the $19.4 million terminal expansion underway.  This 27-month project is the third phase of a multi-phase terminal and apron expansion program that will see a doubling of the lower passenger departures area.  The new area will see dedicated boarding gates, covered walkways, new and expanded washrooms, additional food & beverage and retail facilities.

A copy of the 2018 VAA Annual Report is available at www.victoriaairport.com/library

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4586 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

Was there too  ( at the VAA meeting last night ). Highlights were from 2018 ! 

CEO did speak to the recent retraction of FlairAir from YYJ noting a return of leased 737-800 aircraft that

were being used to replace grounded 737 Max in leasers fleet.

Did not touch on the loss of Delta, or United or Air Canada to Edmonton.

Or how market growth was going, just hopes..... 

#4587 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 11:59 AM

Were you expecting the 2019 results?  :banana:

• jonny likes this

#4588 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

Dickson acknowledged that public transit ridership to the airport is relatively small. “It is one of those things,” he said. “‘Build it and they will come,’ but an empty bus is not environmentally friendly, and it is not that economic. There is a lot of demand for bus service everywhere, and it is expensive.”

According to BC Transit’s route planner, travellers who want to reach Victoria International Airport by transit from Downtown Victoria have two broad choices. They can take a bus from there, then transfer at the Mctavish Road Interchange for a connecting bus to the airport. Or they can walk from a nearby stop after taking a bus that does not stop at the interchange, but nonetheless gets them close to the airport.

https://www.vicnews....t-improvements/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 May 2019 - 02:48 PM.

#4589 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

The bus obsession I don't get. Spend four figures on a vacation and then cheap out on a taxi fare to the airport and have you lug your suitcase to the sidewalk, on the bus, etc.?
  • Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

#4590 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 09:58 PM

Especially when the airporter is like 20 bucks.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4591 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 10:09 PM

The bus obsession I don't get. Spend four figures on a vacation and then cheap out on a taxi fare to the airport and have you lug your suitcase to the sidewalk, on the bus, etc.?

Same reason people take the bus to the ferry, if not driving on, I imagine. It's about the only time I do take the bus.

Pay $100+ for parking for a week vs. about that in return taxi fares or $5 on busses. Lots of people take transit to the Vancouver airport because there is efficient public transport available. Why spend $100 unnecessarily when I can use that towards a massage on my trip?

The YYJ Airport Shuttle is only useful if you're coming from specific areas. I live up the Gorge, and there is a stop nearby at one of the motels, but last time I checked I would have had to leave 3 hours before my flight. 

#4592 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 02:47 AM

most people that fly from our airport go to vancouver. so that’s a $69 to $199 flight. some people don’t want to spend an additional $75 on a taxi.

#4593 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:13 AM

A typical bus trip from downtown Victoria or Langford to the airport is between 90 and 120+ minutes. That does not factor in the time it takes you to get to the bus stop or time that have to wait for the bus. Given the time and the fact that buses don't really have any room for luggage, public transit is not a viable option for most people.

• jonny likes this

#4594 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:23 AM

A typical bus trip from downtown Victoria or Langford to the airport is between 90 and 120+ minutes. That does not factor in the time it takes you to get to the bus stop or time that have to wait for the bus. Given the time and the fact that buses don't really have any room for luggage, public transit is not a viable option for most people.

local buses to airports in other cities have extra cargo areas.  they can also travel much more directly than 90-120 minutes.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2019 - 08:24 AM.

#4595 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:27 AM

Go to most major cities and they have subways right to the airport.  Even one of my lawyers in Vancouver told me that even wealthy people take Skytrain with all their luggage to the airport.

Now for me personally I could care less, I live on the peninsula and its around a $25 cab ride to the airport.  On another note I am always reluctant to tell taxi drivers how long I will be gone for, details of the trip, etc.  Wouldn't take much to sell that info to criminals that the house at 1234 Fifth St will be vacant from May 12 to 25th and the owners will be in Toronto

#4596 kxl

kxl
  • 206 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:29 AM

^ A bit of an exaggeration. From downtown (Capital City Station) it is 70 minutes, and that includes the transfer at McTavish or walking from Bazan Bay. That’s a 90% savings over taking the shuttle, excluding the “fuel surcharge”. Whether the extra 35 minutes is worth $23 is a matter of preference.

#4597 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:37 AM

^ A bit of an exaggeration. From downtown (Capital City Station) it is 70 minutes, and that includes the transfer at McTavish or walking from Bazan Bay.

and every single year more and more of the ferry/airport passenger percentage comes from the west shore.  and that requires a ridiculous transfer.  or 2. 

i mean is it odd that the regions most popular single destination (the ferry terminal) and by far the largest growing region (the west shore) have no direct connection?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 11 May 2019 - 08:48 AM.

#4598 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:45 AM

Sure, but if they ran a dedicated express bus from downtown, stopping for pickup at major intersections only outbound, and dropoffs inbound, it’d do fine...much better than the current convoluted system. Trial run it for the summer, and see what happens...
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#4599 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:20 AM

the largest growing region (the west shore) have no direct connection?

That is incorrect as year over year growth for the west shore (Langford, Colwood, View Royal*, Metchosin) saw a growth of 1655 people

the core (saanich, victoria, oak bay, esquimalt) saw a population growth of 2291

*View Royal is technically part of the core, but I thought I would move it to the west shore to help your argument

https://www.crd.bc.c...vrsn=c5f1feca_4

#4600 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 09:24 AM

ah yes.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users