Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#4601 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

^ A bit of an exaggeration. From downtown (Capital City Station) it is 70 minutes, and that includes the transfer at McTavish or walking from Bazan Bay. That’s a 90% savings over taking the shuttle, excluding the “fuel surcharge”. Whether the extra 35 minutes is worth $23 is a matter of preference.

Most people don't live next to the downtown exchange! I used google maps to sample times from places like the Hillside mall, Oak Bay rec, and the Langford town centre.

#4602 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:52 PM

If I'm flying to Vancouver just to wait around to then fly to somewhere else then using either local transit/ferry, or the BC Ferries Connector bus, or even Harbour Air to get to YVR are all viable (and sometimes preferable) alternatives to going through Victoria airport.

Local transit/ferry - takes lots more time but saves gobs of money

BC Ferries Connector - used to be good when it ran more often; now close to useless unless by sheer luck one gets you to YVR just when you need to get there

Harbour Air - saves tons of time but costs more...though not all that much more than a YYJ-YVR flight

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4603 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

Harbour Air is risky though due to weather cancellations. Much more susceptible to cancellation than YYJ-YVR flights.

A bit of wind or low cloud and you've just messed up your whole itinerary. If not cancelled, then you have to spend time waiting for a shuttle and heading over to the main terminal and starting the check in process from the beginning vs. departing from YYJ & connecting.

#4604 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:22 PM

I give friends rides to the airport and/or ferries all the time, I expect them to reciprocate.

• jonny, tjv and Victoria Watcher like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4605 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:26 AM

I give friends rides to the airport and/or ferries all the time, I expect them to reciprocate.

i bet that's actually the most common scenario for pleasure travel.  it's always fun to get rid of friends and family for a while.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2019 - 03:27 AM.

• tedward and jonny like this

#4606 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:44 AM

Do you know how I know I am not saving money by flying out of YYJ? I never look at any other option except a YYJ departure. My time is worth more than a hour bus ride to Swartz Bat, an hour and 35 minute ferry crossing, another hour from Tsawwassen to YVR, lugging two piecea of luggage around that entire time, arranging all this so that I get to YVR the required amount of time you need to get to the airport.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4607 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 06:47 AM

100%. I’ve done the Seattle trek a couple of times and never again.
  • Matt R. and sdwright.vic like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4608 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:27 AM

Do you know how I know I am not saving money by flying out of YYJ? I never look at any other option except a YYJ departure. My time is worth more than a hour bus ride to Swartz Bat, an hour and 35 minute ferry crossing, another hour from Tsawwassen to YVR, lugging two piecea of luggage around that entire time, arranging all this so that I get to YVR the required amount of time you need to get to the airport.

A 9 hour travel day is sooooo much better than a 16 hour travel day.

#4609 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:35 AM

The ferry component is absolute misery on the return leg of a long trip.

I can’t even remember the last time I sailed on a BCF to the mainland. If I can’t fly, I don’t go. And with the volume of passengers now the terminals are overrun, if you don’t reserve you’re stuck waiting two sailings, and vessels can be so busy that it’s just unpleasant to be on board after a long day (and you can’t hang out in your vehicle any more).
  • m3m likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4610 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:16 AM

Especially since most the places I am going require me to be physically at YVR by 7:30 to 8:30 AM. Which means with an international flight, I would need to be at YVR at 4:30 in the morning.

#4611 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:07 AM

I agree with you when I am travelling by myself. When you have a larger family and are travelling on a longer trip, the difference can amount of thousands of dollars which pays for a lot of meals and upgrades.

#4612 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:08 AM

Especially since most the places I am going require me to be physically at YVR by 7:30 to 8:30 AM. Which means with an international flight, I would need to be at YVR at 4:30 in the morning.

Or if you have a Nexus pass then you can show up at 7:25 :-)

#4613 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:39 AM

My travelling is never in a pack larger than two.

#4614 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

I agree with you when I am travelling by myself. When you have a larger family and are travelling on a longer trip, the difference can amount of thousands of dollars which pays for a lot of meals and upgrades.

The savings is unlikely to be thousands of dollars unless you have an unusually large family or have booked first class tickets to Dubai. The per ticket cost difference is almost never more than 200 dollars round trip. If it is just fly Pacific Coastal. So to save thousands you would need to be buying at least 10 tickets.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4615 ryno8097

ryno8097
  • 93 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:43 AM

Looking at Flightradar right now it appears Kelowna has lost A/C and Westjet Toronto flights. Whether this is due to the continued 737 Max groundings and/or perhaps they aren't operating daily, this will help YYJ numbers stay close to YLW.

A/C also appears to be operating smaller planes between YVR, YYC and Kelowna as well - most are DH8C's and Q400's and zero A319's in use.

Kelowna may see more seasonal sun destinations but the year round schedules, I think, certainly suggest YYJ ultimately a bigger player.

Has anyone heard if Alaskan will add flights once Delta departs? I remember Alaskan used to have five daily flights prior to Delta's invasion.

#4616 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:43 PM

I would love it if they added a YYJ - Portland instead as it is a bit of an Alaska hub too and you could skip out on some of the SEA craziness. Plus Portland is a fun city.
  • pennymurphy2000, m3m and Victoria Watcher like this

It has a whole new look!

#4617 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 01:49 PM

The savings is unlikely to be thousands of dollars unless you have an unusually large family or have booked first class tickets to Dubai. The per ticket cost difference is almost never more than 200 dollars round trip. If it is just fly Pacific Coastal. So to save thousands you would need to be buying at least 10 tickets.

Sure it can be. Just a few weeks ago we compared flights here and we didn't even look at discount airlines or charters that fly directly from YVR or SEA

Edited by spanky123, 12 May 2019 - 01:49 PM.

#4618 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 04:50 PM

It is literally impossible for it to be unless you purposely trying to make more expensive. It is max 200 more RT unless you doing it on purpose.

It has a whole new look!

#4619 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,471 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 07:02 PM

If you schedule via Pacific Coastal you run the risk of missing your connection and forfeiting your flight. On the return leg you also run the risk of missing the last PC flight (~7PM departure), losing that flight, and still having to make your way back to Victoria.

This isn’t a gripe against PC, but introducing another airline that is not code-shared with your other flight(s) is a risk.

Know it all.

#4620 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:47 AM

ONEX is buying WestJet for a 67% premium.

does that make some employees wealthy?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users