Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7615 replies to this topic

#4621 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:42 AM

ONEX, parent of one of America's least popular airlines, Spirit.

#4622 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

... and you can’t hang out in your vehicle any more ...

That's only for enclosed vehicle decks (i.e. the lower deck), so for the over-height or the unlucky.  Even if you can, you are still subject to the cacophony of car alarms that sound whenever the ship trembles enough.

#4623 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:39 AM

100%. I’ve done the Seattle trek a couple of times and never again.

I've done that in the past pre-Delta when Alaska was charging $400+ for the YYJ-SEA leg.  I always combined it with other things

With airlines dumping YYJ like the plague I worry that stupid prices will soon return

#4624 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:45 AM

This isn’t a gripe against PC, but introducing another airline that is not code-shared with your other flight(s) is a risk.

Doesn't matter.  I remember when my brother flew Alaska to Seattle, but because of fog at YYJ he couldn't leave.  As a result he couldn't make his connection in Seattle with another major airline (I think it was American), he lost the connecting flight.  even thou he phoned ahead and explained the circumstances their answer was "too bad so sad"

#4625 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:25 AM

Surprising that Gerry Schwartz didn't buy IndiGo instead of WestJet! LOL

They could have sold Heather's magazines and pillows on-board.

Speaking of which, IndiGo that is, they have become the the largest airline in India by passengers carried and fleet size in the space of 13 years. Pretty impressive. Lucky for them, they don't fly any Boeings, MAX or otherwise.

Perhaps Onex intends to take WestJet back to its' low-cost carrier strategy, rather than simply matching AC pricing and having friendlier staff.

#4626 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:12 AM

They are likely to start absorbing other carriers.

Cheap fares and a unionized workforce will be very difficult to match up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4627 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:24 AM

For this type if investment company, I agree. They are going to look at building a more international carrier.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4628 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:07 PM

Doesn't matter.  I remember when my brother flew Alaska to Seattle, but because of fog at YYJ he couldn't leave.  As a result he couldn't make his connection in Seattle with another major airline (I think it was American), he lost the connecting flight.  even thou he phoned ahead and explained the circumstances their answer was "too bad so sad"

I don't believe that for a minute.  There's no way they said, "so sad".

#4629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:16 PM

If you’re flying different airlines and one messes up, that’s not the fault of the other and they have no obligation to extend courtesies for which you did not pay.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4630 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,997 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

If you’re flying different airlines and one messes up, that’s not the fault of the other and they have no obligation to extend courtesies for which you did not pay.

You are 100% correct, if the itinerary is split then you are out of luck if you miss a flight. If you have status then the airline might take pity on you but I have been caught in the past having to buy a new ticket. That is the reason why booking agencies only book with code sharing partners.

#4631 Torrontes

Torrontes
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:03 PM

ONEX, parent of one of America's least popular airlines, Spirit.

I don't think that is correct. Onex used to control Spirit AeroSystems Inc., which is an aerostructures manufacturer, not an airline

I don't believe they have an interest in Spirit Airlines Inc..

#4632 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:23 PM

^Oh, you're right. Two different Spirits.

#4633 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

^Oh, you're right. Two different Spirits.

I believe the term is "Two-Spirit."

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#4634 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:48 PM

It is actually "two-spirited"
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4635 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:03 PM

You are correct, Knees-Touch-Tray-Table.

• Bob Fugger, jonny and sdwright.vic like this

#4636 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:30 PM

Spirit is a Boeing spinoff, in case anyone might be wondering.

Know it all.

#4637 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 07:46 PM

Earlier in this thread we were talking about flying into YVR from an international port and then continuing on to YYJ. I did that out of Phoenix a few weeks ago and you do get your bags checked all the way through. It was a little less organized than some locations but they had people standing at bridge head handing out connecting passenger signs for you to take with you. When you get into the customs hall you turn right and go to where another person is collecting the yellow signs. If you have Nexus you turn left where the flight crew goes do your thing at the machine and then get back in line to go to the one customs officer doing the connecting passengers. Then you head down the passageway to get a shuttle bus that takes you to the domestic terminal. Then it is a fairly long walk to get to your departure gate. 

It's much better than schlepping your bag through customs and then going back through security to be sure, but the first time you use it is not exactly seamless or intuitional.

• Mike K. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4638 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 602 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:25 AM

Were you expecting the 2019 results?  :banana:

Well the CEO touched on a few topics that related to current changes in 2019 that had started in 2018...

#4639 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 602 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:39 AM

Looking at Flightradar right now it appears Kelowna has lost A/C and Westjet Toronto flights. Whether this is due to the continued 737 Max groundings and/or perhaps they aren't operating daily, this will help YYJ numbers stay close to YLW.

A/C also appears to be operating smaller planes between YVR, YYC and Kelowna as well - most are DH8C's and Q400's and zero A319's in use.

Kelowna may see more seasonal sun destinations but the year round schedules, I think, certainly suggest YYJ ultimately a bigger player.

Has anyone heard if Alaskan will add flights once Delta departs? I remember Alaskan used to have five daily flights prior to Delta's invasion.

YLW hasn't lost AC Rouge service to YYZ Toronto, even tho it is late very often. WJ has pulled direct service for fleet reasons with Max jets sidelined. Jazz normally operates D-8-300's from YLW to YYC and the 320 service from YVR to YLW was seasonal.

As for Alaska/Horizon, I see no change to their freq of service into the new year after Delta leaves. Just 3 a day, 4 at peak travel times. VAA CEO stated at the AGM that Delta was bleeding millions on the route which I don't buy fully. 

#4640 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,428 posts

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:30 AM

April data is now in.

YYJ saw a drop in its passenger volumes to 159,441 from 165,858 last year, representing a 3.9% decline. Kelowna also saw a drop from 156,816 to 155,532, or a 0.8% difference.

YoY YYJ is down 2.5% with 593,638 passengers. Kelowna is up 2.5% at 710,015.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)