Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7624 replies to this topic

#4681 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:17 AM

“We are currently dealing with a security breach. Our departure lounge has had to be evacuated and all passengers will be re-screened. This will cause minor delays to a few flights. Please check w/ your airline or our website for latest flight information.”

is this the airport?  or vv?

• Nparker likes this

#4682 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:23 AM

How come I never get invited to the VV departure lounge?  :(

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4683 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:40 AM

More info here: https://www.cheknews...ecurity-583802/

Airport officials say screening staff discovered that an aerosol can, a prohibited item, made its way through around 10:30 a.m.

#4684 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:47 AM

Airport officials say screening staff discovered that an aerosol can, a prohibited item, made its way through around 10:30 a.m.

and substantially overreacted accordingly.

• Nparker likes this

#4685 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:53 AM

How come I never get invited to the VV departure lounge?  :(

It’s really just the men’s washroom at the Strathcona Hotel.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#4686 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:30 PM

I was at the airport at this time picking up a lost bag from yesterday... super chill on the arrivals side, nothing going on anywhere.

Did you know that White Spot will give you a dollar off if you show your receipt from the short term parking lot, which coincidentally costs a dollar?

Matt.
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#4687 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 01:36 PM

that’s a good deal.

#4688 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 03:46 PM

I thought the dollar off could be applied to any purchase in the airport?

From the outside the extension to the departures wing looks to be quite plain and also a fair bit shorter than the older part.

#4689 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

Airport officials say screening staff discovered that an aerosol can, a prohibited item, made its way through around 10:30 a.m.

No one spotted an aerosol can attempting to board a plane?

#4690 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 11:54 PM

I thought the dollar off could be applied to any purchase in the airport?

Oh that could well be, I don’t remember the last time I had the need to pay to park in short term parking.

Matt.

#4691 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:23 AM

How come I never get invited to the VV departure lounge? :(

You were inches away a couple of times.
  • Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#4692 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:56 AM

The abrupt cancellation of 30 Swoop flights over the first 10 days in July sparked anger and confusion, with some customers paying out-of-pocket to salvage travel plans. 

Radek Romanowski got his cancellation notice the evening before his July 8 return flight from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to Hamilton. A second email that night informed him that he was rebooked to fly on July 15 — one week later. 

That didn't work for the small business owner who needed to return home to Komoka, Ont., for work. But he couldn't call Swoop to complain — because it was Sunday and the call centre was closed. He did send an email, but received no reply. 

"It's very, very bad business practice," said Romanowski. "No communication, no conversation, no answering, nothing."

Kevin Blenkhorn found out his Swoop flight was cancelled when he and his wife showed up at the Hamilton airport on July 7 to take their return flight to Edmonton.

"I was not happy," said Blenkhorn who lives in Fort Saskatchewan, Alta. Swoop had rebooked him on a flight that departed six days later, but Blenkhorn needed to get home immediately to return to his mining job. 

He found a flight leaving the next morning on WestJet  — Swoop's owner — totalling $1,462 for two last-minute tickets. He was surprised that WestJet wouldn't waive the cost. 

"I called WestJet and they said, 'Well, we really don't have anything to do with [Swoop].'"

https://www.cbc.ca/n...s-cta-1.5210121

"ya, sorry you are stranded in fort lauderdale/hamilton, we can just fly you out next week, that ok?"

"westjet here, how can we help?"

"it's about swoop"

"swoop?  never heard of it"

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 July 2019 - 04:59 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#4693 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 14 July 2019 - 09:13 AM

Oh that could well be, I don’t remember the last time I had the need to pay to park in short term parking.

Matt.

The $1 short-term parking receipt is good for $1 off a bill of $10 or more at Starbucks, Tim Hortons or White Spot.  But yes, only in the airport,

I was dropping someone off yesterday for a departure in the afternoon and before we left the house the security wait was estimates at 120 minutes or more (!).  I thought it must be a glitch in the reporting, and when we got there around 12:30PM it was quiet and the wait was 0-5 minutes.  I guess we just dodged the security crisis earlier.

• Matt R. and todd like this

#4694 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:34 AM

June numbers are out for both YYJ ( Victoria ) and YLW ( Kelowna ) airports.

The slow down is real and numbers for YYJ are creaping ahead of YLW in the long math of year to date.

With WJA ( WestJet ), seasonal service added this winter to Los Cabos, gates are going to be very close to capacity this winter in YYJ. Looks like all the regular players and destinations are back this winter as well unless anyone has heard other wise.

#4695 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:49 AM

By Jim Liu
Posted
17 July 2019 10:30

American Airlines in the last few weeks filed service changes for Vancouver, as selected routes converted to seasonal service, instead of year-round. Affected routes include the following.

Chicago O’Hare – Vancouver Service suspended from 04SEP19 to 03JUN20. Currently served 1 daily with 737-800

Phoenix – Vancouver Service suspended from 21NOV19 to 03JUN20. Currently served 1 daily with 737-800

#4696 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

Swoop just added Kelowna-Vegas.

I suspect American's problems relate to the MAX.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4697 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

June numbers are out for both YYJ ( Victoria ) and YLW ( Kelowna ) airports.

The slow down is real and numbers for YYJ are creaping ahead of YLW in the long math of year to date.

With WJA ( WestJet ), seasonal service added this winter to Los Cabos, gates are going to be very close to capacity this winter in YYJ. Looks like all the regular players and destinations are back this winter as well unless anyone has heard other wise.

YLW should ultimately stay ahead of YYJ though. YYJ always has better numbers April-November, but YLW is so strong in January, February, March, and December because of ski season and snowbird travel that they absolutely crush YYJ in those months. Whereas the gap isn't so significant in the months where YYJ is ahead. YLW currently sits about 100,000 pax above YYJ on the year...so really they just need to keep within 20,000 pax per month of YYJ for the next 5 months (which they have done the last few years) and then their December will give them the 10th place crown again.

As for winter service, Sunwing cut Puerto Vallarta but that traffic should be replaced by the WestJet Cabo service.

• Missed Approach likes this

#4698 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 04:50 PM

YLW should ultimately stay ahead of YYJ though. YYJ always has better numbers April-November, but YLW is so strong in January, February, March, and December because of ski season and snowbird travel that they absolutely crush YYJ in those months. Whereas the gap isn't so significant in the months where YYJ is ahead. YLW currently sits about 100,000 pax above YYJ on the year...so really they just need to keep within 20,000 pax per month of YYJ for the next 5 months (which they have done the last few years) and then their December will give them the 10th place crown again.

As for winter service, Sunwing cut Puerto Vallarta but that traffic should be replaced by the WestJet Cabo service.

I'm sure it was TA and WJ doing PVR, SW was doing Los Cabos and Huatulco last winter  

#4699 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 05:25 PM

I'm sure it was TA and WJ doing PVR, SW was doing Los Cabos and Huatulco last winter  

Sunwing introduced Huatulco last winter but they had been running PVR and Cabo prior to that. They had three services last year. All three airlines did PVR last year. Sunwing used Viva Aerobus to operate the PVR route.

#4700 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 03:25 AM

It's the height of the summer travel season, and if the country's major airports are anything to go by, commercial flights are humming along at a brisk clip, but there's not a 737 Max jet in sight — and likely won't be for months.

Boeing's bestselling plane, which was grounded last March after two 737 Max jets crashed, killing 346 people, including 18 Canadians and at least four permanent residents of Canada, likely won't be back in operation until December or January 2020, industry watchers predict. 

That doesn't mean that Boeing has stopped making the planes. And even as investigations and hearings into the cause of the air disasters are taking place, including one held Wednesday by U.S. lawmakers in Washington, the company is still producing about 42 Max jets a month.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...aring-1.5214337

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users