Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7575 replies to this topic

#4761 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

Some interesting items to pass along.

Completely distracted on the computer and floating around and these items I found 

All the gate numbers on FIDS via YYJ website have all changed from the 1-12 from 3-28. Odd.

Tried booking YYJ-YEG flights on Air Canada Express for next summer, no direct flight(s) found. 

And PCA, Pacific Coastal seems to want to break into the US market on behalf of WestJet Link.

https://www.otc-cta....ling/a-2019-164

• Mike K. likes this

#4762 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:23 PM

And PCA, Pacific Coastal seems to want to break into the US market on behalf of WestJet Link.

https://www.otc-cta....ling/a-2019-164

oh that's very interesting.

#4763 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:31 PM

Keep in mind that WestJet and Delta have a very close relationship. Maybe WestJet Link picks up some routes to Seattle to compete with Alaska. The smaller aircraft would allow them to serve some smaller airports such as Nanaimo, Prince George, etc.

• Mike K. likes this

#4764 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:37 PM

Wow, that's interesting. Are we thinking they'll operate a YYJ-SEA connection?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4765 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:52 PM

I would think that the Saab would be too small to operate on the YYJ-SEA route, capacity wise? Considering Alaska operates with a Q400 and Delta previously used E175 jets, I'm sure WS could fill more than the 34 seats on PASCOs Saabs. 

• Missed Approach likes this

#4766 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 07:49 PM

It would be pretty unprecedented for Westjet to offer a Link flight to anything but a hub.

#4767 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 09:05 PM

It would be pretty unprecedented for Westjet to offer a Link flight to anything but a hub.

True, which is why I think the joint venture they have with Delta is key, as SEA is a Delta hub.

I just don’t see what US cities would benefit from 30-34 seats out of YYC or YVR. Boise? Missoula? Both Vancouver and Calgary have one stop flights on Delta via SEA or SLC to most cities within the Saab’s range as is, so I just can’t see why WestJet would want to compete with their partner on those routes.

#4768 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:32 AM

^ The YVR-Cranbrook WestJet Link service starts next month, perhaps a YVR-Spokane service is next? Currently no direct flight, you have to connect through Seattle.

#4769 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:00 PM

^ That's a market that came to mind for me as well (Spokane).

#4770 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:34 PM

For context, Boise and Spokane are the only two airports in the "Northwest" United States (WA, OR, ID, MT, WY) with over 1 million passengers annually that aren't currently served with direct flights from either YYC or YVR. If we expand that range a bit, you could also include Reno/Tahoe and Omaha, but those are tight for the Saab's range.

Certainly a mystery as to what's up here. WestJet loves to bite into AC routes though, so perhaps it's a simple YVR-PDX (Portland) to complement the existing YYC-PDX service on Encore. AC Express currently operates both routes. Or YYC-SEA...AC Express does that seasonally, but maybe WestJet dips their toes into year-round on the Saab.

At this point I think it's far more likely that this is for Seattle or Portland than a smaller airport.

#4771 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 01:39 PM

YYJ supplied us with some context the gate renumbering:

Our gate numbers are temporarily renumbered to allow us to do the necessary pre-scripting in our Flight Information Display System (FIDS) in advance of the opening of the Lower Passenger Departure Lounge Expansion.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4772 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:41 PM

At this point I think it's far more likely that this is for Seattle or Portland than a smaller airport.

Link isn't designed for large markets. I don't see why their strategy would be different US vs. Canada.

YYC-SEA is already served by DL. Link service makes zero sense on that route.

YVR-PDX slightly more likely but for a small market it's already served by AC & AS so if I were WS I would add to a thin route with no non-stop competition.

#4773 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

With Westjet’s international services it might make sense now to feed US cities into the network, so Billings Montana might be the target here. Or even Boise?

Know it all.

#4774 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 04:58 PM

Through July YYJ lost 55k passengers YOY compared to 2018, which finished 48k passengers above the two million mark. It doesn't appear likely that we'll break two million this year.

Know it all.

#4775 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

Glimpses of the addition from August...

It really is a lot shorter than the older part.

Edited by aastra, 09 September 2019 - 05:54 PM.

#4776 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:00 PM

It looks about the same, no?

Know it all.

#4777 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:10 PM

No big deal, but the new part seems a fair bit shorter to my eye because of how much higher the windows extend on the old part. (Maybe saying it was "a lot shorter" was hyperbole on my part.)

YYJ_Addition_Aug2019.jpg

Edited by aastra, 09 September 2019 - 06:12 PM.

#4778 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:41 PM

Oh that could be it. I think the footprint is about the same.

Know it all.

#4779 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 03:42 AM

'I LOVE YOU MUM' 

Terrified passengers write ‘goodbye messages’ after plane engine catches on fire forcing emergency landing

https://www.thesun.c...re-bird-strike/

#4780 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,347 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 05:53 AM

Imagine being that bus driver going in to see the Icbc adjuster. "Now I just need some clarity here, it says the other vehicle was a 737-800, I don't have that in my book. What make is that, BMW?"

the cop has a ticket book and he has to draw on the car diagram where the damage is. does he have one with a 737 predrawn on it?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 September 2019 - 06:00 AM.

• lanforod likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users