Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7575 replies to this topic

#4841 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 12:34 PM

Omni Air is going to be handling some AC routes for them due to the 737Max issue.

The Max issue looks to be resolved by mid January 2020.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4842 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,340 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:12 PM

Flight attendants at Air Canada will no longer greet passengers as "ladies and gentlemen" or "mesdames et messieurs" as they have for years.  Flight staff will no longer use gender terms in boarding announcements as the company will be replacing scripted greetings with neutral words like "everybody" or "tout le monde".

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 October 2019 - 12:12 PM.

#4843 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

We live in a truly bizarre age.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4844 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:22 PM

just when we finally got servers to stop calling groups of people "guys" this comes along.

• Nparker likes this

#4845 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 06:52 PM

^similar reactions were had when it was first thought to acknowledge ladies alongside gentlemen. Somehow we survived that change too.

#4846 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:29 PM

The YYJ Youtube channel has readjusted the webcam and now showing progress on Phase 2 of the expansion project. 

#4847 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

The YYJ Youtube channel has readjusted the webcam and now showing progress on Phase 2 of the expansion project. 

https://www.youtube....76b7szhQ/videos

#4848 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:44 PM

That would be the Terminal 3 janitor closet at Heathrow.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4849 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

Found on Youtube ...

Anyone else have pictures to share. I have heard it is still very bare of amenities like vending machines. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=KJVsaEgS7FA

Edited by Missed Approach, 16 October 2019 - 07:09 PM.

• Kilo95 likes this

#4850 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

Found on Youtube ...

Anyone else have pictures to share. I have heard it is still very bare of amenities like vending machines. 

I haven't been through it since it opened, but I don't find the supposed lack of vending machines a big deal. There is still Spinnakers and that gift shop, plus the new Fresh Cup Cafe/Bistro place has opened up. Phase 3 is supposed to "expand food and beverage", though that could just mean expanding the seating area of Spinnakers? 

#4851 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:07 AM

I think there are a couple vending machines upstairs, no? Not really a huge deal at an airport like YYJ. The newsstand shop is open from the first flight in the morning until about 9:00 pm, so covers most departures of the day if you want to buy a snack or drink.

#4852 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:55 PM

I haven't been through it since it opened, but I don't find the supposed lack of vending machines a big deal. There is still Spinnakers and that gift shop, plus the new Fresh Cup Cafe/Bistro place has opened up. Phase 3 is supposed to "expand food and beverage", though that could just mean expanding the seating area of Spinnakers? 

Pre security and those waiting for late flights when everything closes … some want food for on board of the small snack verity... 

Edited by Missed Approach, 17 October 2019 - 09:58 PM.

#4853 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:00 PM

This article is a few days old but worth a read, some insight or guesses to why the numbers are so down this year. 

https://www.saanichn...senger-numbers/

Sept YYJ numbers are out, I'm blown away by the 48% drop in Trans-border after Delta and United departure. Wow, just wow 

#4854 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

Pre security and those waiting for late flights when everything closes … some want food for on board of the small snack verity... 

Pre-security there is a wall of vending machines across from the Budget counter in arrivals, and I believe another bunch in the seating area behind Starbucks/Tim Hortons.

Post-security there is a wall of them at Gate 1/2 (same area as the Best Buy vending machine). The area under "Phase 2" of renovations is where the vending machines were previously located in the main holdroom, so certainly they will return to the main floor in some capacity once renos are done. If the growing pains of this reno are to be without vending machines in the main holdroom for a few months, it's worth it. You can still get something if you venture upstairs.

Either way, despite the renos, you can still access vending machines both pre- and post-security.

#4855 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

September had a larger passenger decline by percentage than August did (10.9%) which at the time was the biggest month of losses in years.

156,363 passengers travelled via YYJ in September, exactly 12% fewer than in September of 2018 with 177,589. Transborder traffic plummeted by 48.4%, as Missed had pointed out earlier, while domestic travel fell 5.3%. There were no international flights either last September or this September.

YYJ's stats show a year-over-year decline of 5.8%.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4856 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:21 AM

The 48% drop in transborder makes sense, considering Delta operated a very similar schedule to Alaska plus the 1x daily United flight, so we essentially lost half the capacity with only Alaska remaining now. 

#4857 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:22 PM

Another industry read for Canadian airports in general.

https://westernaviat...nadas-airports/

#4858 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:10 AM

Human guinea pigs prepare to board longest non-stop flight: Scientists on 19-hour Qantas 787 trip from New York to Sydney will conduct tests on passengers to see how they cope

https://www.dailymai...ork-Sydney.html

#4859 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,340 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:16 AM

i'm not so sure a 20-hour flight in first-class is the sheer hell this reporter seems to think it is.  this reporter would last about a 1/2-day in military basic training.

Three Hours In

The physical pressure of this experiment is clear. Around me, passengers are standing up just to stay awake. The crew have been asked to keep sleep diaries, and to use iPads to rate their fatigue, reaction times, workload and stress. That dozy frequent flyer at the front of the plane is asleep, again.

https://twitter.com/...515219775119360

comment:

I do several 12 hour plus flights a year (14 hours average) and have done a 16 hour flight on a couple of occasions. Stop making it sound like you just went to the moon. If you did it in economy, I'd be more sympathetic. I usually do them without sleeping. It is not that big of a deal. I would trade a 14 hour business flight for a 7 hour economy ANY DAY. In fact, I limit my Europe travel for that very reason. I cannot wait to get on the NJ to Singapore direct. The alternative is a 14 and a 9, or a 7 and a 12. Bring it on, the less connections the better. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 October 2019 - 06:18 AM.

#4860 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 28 October 2019 - 08:05 AM

The 787 is definitely the right plane to do this with. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users