Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7568 replies to this topic

#5061 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:50 AM

Can not Alaska use YYJ was an in between stop on the way from Alaska to US destinations?

Would be very limited demand for passengers to hop on of off between, say, Anchorage and Seattle. Not worth the cost of having the extra stop, not to mention the inconvenience to other passengers. Makes more sense for those folks to connect via Seattle.

#5062 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:09 PM

When Horizon started flying into YYJ back in the late 80's, they operated the 18 seat metro-liners pencil planes and departed YYJ, stopped in Port Angeles to clear customs and then onto SEA.

At one time QX ( Horizon) had 6 Daily flts out of YYJ in the mid 2000's. Horizon/Alaska have cut back their service in the last 5 years to their minimums of 3 a day and even with the departure of Delta and United covering cross border travel.

Either less passengers are traveling to the states or taking alt routes, but one would think Horizon/Alaska would lay on an extra flight for capacity. There seems to be no interest in US carriers flying to Victoria, where's United's return in 2020? 

The VAA has been touting the LAX route for years but has nothing to show for it, I don't think the numbers show for it, or they probably sent the marketing team out to post an ad in used Vic for interested carriers to operate the route. I don't think they will be doing anything to help encourage US carriers when fees are so high and no pre clear customs.

• Kilo95 likes this

#5063 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

Did they not operate up to eight flights daily prior to 9/11?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5064 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:11 PM

Would be very limited demand for passengers to hop on of off between, say, Anchorage and Seattle. Not worth the cost of having the extra stop, not to mention the inconvenience to other passengers. Makes more sense for those folks to connect via Seattle.

One reason to consider it would be the airport fees for the plane, I suspect SeaTac is expensive, but this is just me thinking about possible reasons why it might make sense.

#5065 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 02:16 PM

When Horizon started flying into YYJ back in the late 80's, they operated the 18 seat metro-liners pencil planes and departed YYJ, stopped in Port Angeles to clear customs and then onto SEA.
At one time QX ( Horizon) had 6 Daily flts out of YYJ in the mid 2000's. Horizon/Alaska have cut back their service in the last 5 years to their minimums of 3 a day and even with the departure of Delta and United covering cross border travel.
Either less passengers are traveling to the states or taking alt routes, but one would think Horizon/Alaska would lay on an extra flight for capacity. There seems to be no interest in US carriers flying to Victoria, where's United's return in 2020?

The VAA has been touting the LAX route for years but has nothing to show for it, I don't think the numbers show for it, or they probably sent the marketing team out to post an ad in used Vic for interested carriers to operate the route. I don't think they will be doing anything to help encourage US carriers when fees are so high and no pre clear customs.

Just the amount of people I know that fly to LA for Disneyland would likely fill a plane a week. LAX would be such a no brainer. PDX is a hub for Alaska so it would open up many more options for flights if there was a flight from Victoria plus Portland is a fun city on its own.
  • Bernard and Missed Approach like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5066 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:58 PM

Click on the link, under the Fall community consultation meeting, the CEO presentation offers departing passenger numbers for domestic and trans border destinations.

I assume airlines seek out these numbers and since YYJ is in a free fall, maybe steering clear, but the numbers to LAX don't lie, they are up. Just need a airline willing to do only weekly service tho.

https://www.victoria...rt.com/library

In the CEO presentation from the Oct session, you'll see the numbers several pages into the PDF of the slide show

Edited by Missed Approach, 14 February 2020 - 10:00 PM.

#5067 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 07:26 AM

Cool. Would a city pair indicate the final destination?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5068 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

this airport "suffers" from the fact that most of its flights are to nearby destinations (vancouver and seattle or even calgary) so the time spent in the waiting area or processing or baggage check and pick-up etc. is often longer than the flight. so what to do in that case?  make your airport have the best fast screening and the best amenities ever once inside the gate area.  even if that costs a few bucks.

• Bernard and Missed Approach like this

#5069 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 579 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

AC Jazz ran QK 8551/8552 YYC->YYJ->YYJ->YYC today with a CRJ 9 in place of the normal D Q400 .......

They can sub in a RJ but can't run it three times a day ….

Next they will down grade the route to C172 …. 

• Mike K. likes this

#5070 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

Plane crash Saanich: http://mobile.twitte...818291029336064

#5071 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

YYJ Jan 2020 numbers out, over all down 6.3%, mainly domestic and trans-boder. International up tho, 29%. Back to pre 2017 numbers.

Charter flights are the only thing growing. Even cargo leveled off after growing alot.

#5072 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 02:35 PM

Victoria International Airport [VAA]  has emerged as one of the best places to work in British Columbia. The editors of Canada’s Top 100 Employers selected VAA as a top employer in the province. Cited reasons include its training programs and tuition subsidies; its airport’s on-site fitness facility; its multi-use path on the property as well its support of employees to get involved in the community...

https://www.vicnews....ployers-in-b-c/

#5073 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:53 PM

Yyj is handing out surveys and zero questions about what matters most which is scheduled flights. I wrote a comment about how that's key to me. I know the delta Alaska war wasn't their fault but losing yyj/SFO sucks big time

Edited by tanker, 20 February 2020 - 08:54 PM.

• Daveyboy and Missed Approach like this

#5074 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 579 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 02:08 PM

March 1st, VAA is jacking its rates for airlines and aircraft parking / terminal use ….

https://www.victoria...m/aviation-fees

Killing off airlines, dollars at a time.

Swoop will be first to pull the pin, how do you fill a 189 seat aircraft to YWG when fees are per landed seats and more.

#5075 tanker

tanker
  • Banned
  • 575 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

I think I'm pretty much done with yyj. Just on schedule alone it's faster to ferry to YVR. Pathetic.
  • Missed Approach likes this

#5076 kenmuir

kenmuir
  • 84 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:08 PM

Only as long as the winds are calm enough that the ferries can sail, or that protesters haven't blocked the access road on either side.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#5077 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:22 PM

so the engine had trouble and the propeller fell off.  plus oil got all over the windshield.  guy did a pretty good job of landing considering.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 February 2020 - 06:26 PM.

#5078 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 09:49 PM

Alaska ( operated by Horizon Air ) has a roller coaster of time table changes over the next few months.

Already started is the first flight has been rolled back from 0535am to 0605am for March and most of April

Then in early May goes back to 0530am before going to 0500am, yes 5AM! o dark zero.

The last arrival is arriving earlier soon, 23:59 or 1159pm, in late March and later toward April at 1105pm.

Not till the fall are they going from 3 to 4 flights daily, as the time table shows the old 7pm departure from YYJ is coming back.

Hard to imgine a YYJ airline counter open at 3am.............ugh.

Edited by Missed Approach, 02 March 2020 - 09:55 PM.

#5079 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:34 PM

Nice to see Horizon going back to 4 flights.

With Alaska's upcoming entry into oneworld and enhanced partnership with American, these flights will provide a great alternative to AC/WS for flights beyond Alaska's traditional West Coast/Hawaii footprint.

#5080 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 04:43 AM

i like this part:

“I was thinking: ‘Where’s the rest of the plane?’ because this is the most important part,” said Francis. His grandmother remembered there had been a recent plane crash in the area and got on her computer, “and that’s when I learned that there were two occupants and everyone was OK.”

but hold on.

https://www.timescol...ured-1.24088806

Where the 56-inch propeller ended up was a mystery until Sunday, when Jeremy Francis came upon it embedded in his grandmother’s field.

With the go-ahead to remove the more than six-foot sharp blade, he started tugging. “I realized it was the complete propeller with the flywheel still attached to it,” said Francis.

how did it go from 56 inches (under 5 feet) to over 6 feet within four paragraphs?

unless jeremy (whose name also changes to jeremiah within the same article) is a very small man the photo would suggest it's over 6 feet.

03032020-plane-jpg.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2020 - 04:46 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users