Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:20 AM

You been living under a rock??
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5323 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:25 AM

What the heck is a "zoom call"? 

A poor substitute for face-to-face interactions.

#5324 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:29 AM

A poor substitute for face-to-face interactions.

Spoken like someone who hasn't spent a big chunk of their life traveling to pointless meetings that could easily have been accomplished with a video chat.

• lanforod, m3m and Victoria Watcher like this

#5325 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:34 AM

Spoken like someone who hasn't spent a big chunk of their life traveling to pointless meetings that could easily have been accomplished with a video chat.

Or probably an email or other written communication. But if the goal of a meeting is have an involved and effective dialogue between all attendees, nothing is better than in person.

• FogPub likes this

#5326 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 11:43 AM

In some ways an in person meeting is not great at producing an effective dialogue between all attendees, as it is often dominated by certain personality types to the detriment of more thoughtful and introverted participants. But that's a whole separate discussion!

To be fair, I think video conferences are an excellent substitute when all of the parties already know one another. I doubt they are as effective at building new relationships.

#5327 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:06 PM

^They also lack any opportunity for informal networking or chat about other things during breaks, lunch, etc.

• Nparker likes this

#5328 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:47 AM

Edmonton-based Flair Airlines will be returning to the skies of Victoria this August with $49 flights to Vancouver, $69 flights to Edmonton and Calgary, and $99 to Fort McMurray.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5329 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,957 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:59 AM

all flights to vancouver should always be $49.  or $69 at peak/premium (friday and sunday).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2020 - 07:00 AM.

#5330 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:09 AM

Or probably an email or other written communication. But if the goal of a meeting is have an involved and effective dialogue between all attendees, nothing is better than in person.

There are pros and cons, for sure. Zoom (and Teams) calls have resulted in more efficient meetings personally. A lot more efficient.

• Greg likes this

#5331 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 07:59 AM

Edmonton-based Flair Airlines will be returning to the skies of Victoria this August with $49 flights to Vancouver, $69 flights to Edmonton and Calgary, and $99 to Fort McMurray.

It should also be worth noting that Flair is only offering a direct Victoria to Vancouver service. The other routes require a connection in Vancouver. It's also now possible to connect to Toronto through Vancouver with Flair.

#5332 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:04 AM

for $49 i would not complain if the flight was one-stop at ganges or sturdies bay.

seriously though when was the last time we had scheduled 737 flights to vancouver?  never?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 July 2020 - 08:06 AM.

#5333 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:09 AM

You been living under a rock??

No, just never heard of it.

I am familiar with Skype and Facetime, and have have used Doxy for an online meeting with my doctor as well as Microsoft Teams for a meeting with my daughter's teacher during COVID. 

#5334 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:18 AM

for $49 i would not complain if the flight was one-stop at ganges or sturdies bay.

seriously though when was the last time we had scheduled 737 flights to vancouver? never?

A319 and A320 sometimes, depending on how Air Canada routes flights.

Air North operates a 737 to Vancouver from Victoria then flies on to the end of the earth. Not sure if that’s how it’s operated this year, though.

For quite a while AC also ran an A319 as one of the early departures normally operated by a Q400.
  • shoeflack and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5335 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 July 2020 - 08:54 AM

No, just never heard of it.

I am familiar with Skype and Facetime, and have have used Doxy for an online meeting with my doctor as well as Microsoft Teams for a meeting with my daughter's teacher during COVID. 

Wow. I'm amazed you haven't heard of it. It is literally a household name now, thanks to Covid.

Zoom is now worth more than the top 6 US airlines combined.

#5336 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:43 AM

Wow. I'm amazed you haven't heard of it. It is literally a household name now, thanks to Covid.

Zoom is now worth more than the top 6 US airlines combined.

I guess I fall outside of knowing what's hip and cool by being in my 50s... and having a daughter that hasn't quite achieved cool-awareness by having just turned 8.  ;)

PS: What's "Covid"?  :confused:

Just kidding.  :D

#5337 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:39 AM

I guess I fall outside of knowing what's hip and cool by being in my 50s... and having a daughter that hasn't quite achieved cool-awareness by having just turned 8.  ;)

PS: What's "Covid"?  :confused:

Just kidding.  :D

So you could give us a detailed review of TikTok? :D

#5338 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:43 AM

So you could give us a detailed review of TikTok? :D

Thankfully, no.

But I know what it is!  :thumbsup:

#5339 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:23 AM

Air Transat has nixed all sun destination flights from western Canada for the 2020-2021 season.

Know it all.

#5340 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 03:43 AM

last week:

Virgin Atlantic became another victim of COVID-19’s rampage through air travel, as it filed for bankruptcy protection today. Virgin, based in the U.K., filed for Chapter 15 protection despite asking for nearly $1.5 billion in assistance last month; the airline says it will run out of cash in September without an infusion. According to reports, the company will recapitalize over the next year and a half and continue to operate while in bankruptcy protection.

https://www.avweb.co...for-bankruptcy/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users