Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7575 replies to this topic

#5441 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:53 AM

You got two accurate answers and protest?  What did you put in your morning coffee Mike?

They're both wrong, though. You wouldn't say Sooke is south of Victoria, would you? You'd say it's west.

So why would you say Waterloo is south of Toronto, when it's actually west of Toronto (nearly due-west, and due west of Mississauga!)?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5442 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,342 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:54 AM

i've now looked at a map to determine i was right.   i never said it was "mid way" etc. i just said it was generally between toronto and windsor.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2021 - 10:01 AM.

#5443 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:04 AM

You didn't specify, because you didn't know!

I asked for specifics. ASE gave us south, you gave us left. Sorry, but you both lose.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5444 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:10 AM

i said left and down.

didn't know we had to specify the exact meridian.

speaking of meridian:

https://www.cbc.ca/n...wsuit-1.5908570

The group also says it tried to sort things out with Mill Street for months but were unsuccessful.

"They didn't take us seriously and were frankly disrespectful," the band said in its statement.

read:  "we tried to shake them down for money, they would not give us any/enough!"

mill street is owned by anheuser busch inbev.  pretty sure they know where they stand.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 February 2021 - 10:13 AM.

#5445 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:13 AM

99% of Victorians would say Sooke is west, but you guys are saying Waterloo is south?

I'm telling ya, 99% of Canadians have no idea where Waterloo is on a map.

sooke-2.jpg

i said left and down.

didn't know we had to specify the exact meridian.

I specifically didn't ask for the meridian.

Know it all.

#5446 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:16 AM

don't try to throw us off with your map hijinks.

#5447 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:22 AM

...I'm telling ya, 99% of Canadians have no idea where Waterloo is on a map....

I might not be able to find it on a map, but, my, my, it's where Napoleon did surrender.

• North Shore likes this

#5448 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:38 AM

ASE used a very accurate descriptor.  South/southwest.  Properly punctuated for the extreme nit-picky, south-southwest.  Accurate for both Victoria to Sooke and accurate for Toronto to Waterloo.  I won't stand in your way of trying to frame yourself as being right Mike as this is certainly a common theme here!  Winner winner, get yourself a chicken dinner!

• AllseeingEye likes this

#5449 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:50 AM

South-southwest would be Hamilton relative to Toronto. You also can't find Waterloo, even after looking at a map.

ssw.jpg

Know it all.

#5450 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:51 AM

Anyways, relax, Transplanted. I'm just having some fun with the guys.

You Albertans are so serious.

Know it all.

#5451 TransplantedEdmontonian

TransplantedEdmontonian
  • 39 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:55 AM

Well damn, I mixed my west-southwest with south-southwest.  I prefer left and down now.  This is all too complicated.  At least no one said it was east!

#5452 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 12:18 PM

99% of Victorians would say Sooke is west, but you guys are saying Waterloo is south?

I'm telling ya, 99% of Canadians have no idea where Waterloo is on a map.

Probably more like 35%.

Matt.

#5453 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 February 2021 - 03:21 AM

Waterloo - the only one that matters, anyway - is a great big train station just south of the Thames in London.

I really don't think there's room to land a plane there.

#5454 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 09:59 PM

Vibrant Victoria; Victoria International Airport discussions..........

Dropped a family member off today at YYJ for their flight back to YXS Prince George on PCA.

Flight was 12 / 19 seats today. Not bad when all loads seem to be very low on all carriers.

#5455 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 11:40 AM

Air Canada Time Table no longer shows BCS3 or A223-300 on the YYJ -> YYZ route in April on a trail basis.

Short stint if AC A320 early morning service, followed Rouge mid day service on A321 aircraft.  

#5456 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,342 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:57 PM

yikes.

video:  https://twitter.com/...243654635225088

news:

https://www.dailymai...ing-debris.html

39556354-9282215-image-a-1_1613856116318

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 February 2021 - 01:58 PM.

• todd likes this

#5457 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 02:33 PM

Shades of Donnie Darko.

#5458 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 12:36 AM

Can't recall if this video has been posted previously in this thread, but was going through my old YouTube playlists and came across this old video of a Wardair 747 at YYJ. This would have been before my time but cool to see such a large aircraft being used at YYJ as part of regular scheduled operations. I'm assuming this flight started somewhere else first and made a stop at YYJ before continuing on to Hawaii?

https://youtu.be/tbxii9qLNjg

• Missed Approach likes this

#5459 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 February 2021 - 06:33 AM

I came to Canada on a Wardair 747!

I thought how it worked is the plane flew from YVR, picked up passengers, then flew back to YVR, fuelled up, loaded up and flew off to wherever. I chatted with an airport exec once about this and he said YYJ’s taxiways could not and still cannot handle the weight of a large plane with a large payload so operations were limited. Maybe to Hawaii the fuel load was just low enough to make it work.
  • Kilo95 likes this

Know it all.

#5460 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 08:22 AM

Two customer service awards were handed to YYJ for 2020:

Victoria International Airport’s (YYJ) commitment to providing excellent customer service has earned it two prestigious Airports Council International (ACI) Award for Airport Service Quality (ASQ) in 2020.  Victoria International Airport has earned the 2020 ASQ Award for Best Airport by Size and Region (under 2 million passengers per year in North America) and Best Hygiene Measures by Region (North America).

“The ACI Airport Service Quality Awards represent the highest possible distinction in the industry and we are honoured to be recognized.  The new hygiene measures award is particularly special for our team as it directly reflects the extraordinary efforts that went into the implementation of our TravelSafe YYJ program.  At YYJ, the continued health and safety of passengers, partners and employees is our top priority and to be recognized by our customers for the level of hygiene measures in place, the clarity of those measures and the confidence they have while in our care is especially meaningful at this time,” said Victoria Airport Authority (VAA) President and CEO, Geoff Dickson.

This is YYJ’s third time being recognized by ACI after earning honours in 2012 and 2014.  Since its creation in 2006, the ASQ Awards have become the world’s leading airport passenger satisfaction benchmark with close to 400 airports participating across 95 countries.  Its scientific methodology, strict quality control procedures and commitment to impartiality have established the ASQ suite of surveys as the global standard for measuring customer satisfaction.  The ASQ Awards recognize and reward the best airports in the world based on the passenger satisfaction surveys.  This year’s revamped awards also recognize how airports have responded to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The ASQ customer satisfaction benchmarking program measures 33 aspects of customer service including airport ambience, efficiency and courtesy of staff, security screening processes, overall cleanliness, and food and beverage and retail outlets.  New safety and hygiene performance was based on effectiveness of measures, clarity of signage, availability of staff to apply safety and hygiene measures and, the level of confidence to travel based on those measures.  Without the efforts of our airport community – screening officers, security team, airline partners, restaurant and retail staff, car rental companies, cleaners, volunteers and so many others, these awards would not have been possible”, said Dickson.

Victoria International Airport will be officially recognized for this significant achievement by ACI at a later date to be determined.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users