Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#5641 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 06:55 AM

And people think we should be running buses to connect with the earliest flights of the morning.

who today is most likely to use that shuttle?  

not business or government travel - they will have their parking or taxi paid.

not locals with friends and family that can drop them or pick them up, or who can long-term park at the airport.

i think it's the relatively small tourism market.

• Missed Approach likes this

#5642 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 08:51 AM

And people think we should be running buses to connect with the earliest flights of the morning.

IIRC, the only reason why Wilson's restarted the airport and several other routes was because they received covid relate funding to do so. I imagine that funding has run out so economics are now dictating business practice again.

• Mike K. and Barrrister like this

#5643 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 27 October 2021 - 03:17 PM

The CEO has said it a few times in public statements, from their exit surveys stats, most passengers are arriving at the airport via the " friends and family route "

A semi retired friend of mind drives that shuttle, most trips lately were empty or had one or two ppl. Regular ridership would be 12 to 15 on non peak hours with 22 seat capacity per trip. 

#5644 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 October 2021 - 09:19 PM

We’d love to use the service but it doesn’t make financial sense for a family of five - $125/each way. We can park for 10 days at the airport for that 🤷🏼‍♀️ (Heck almost a month if shuttling to + fro!)

Yes we’d rather the convenience of being dropped right at the door - but then we grab a taxi (minivan) for $50-$60/each way.

Edited by LocalMom, 27 October 2021 - 09:21 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#5645 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 08:31 AM

International flights returning to Victoria International Airport | CTV News

International fights will once again be landing at Victoria International Airport (YYJ) starting Nov. 30.

The federal government announced the restart of international flights to Victoria on Tuesday morning.

YYJ is one of eight airports across the country that will be accepting international flights at the end of the month.

• Mike K. likes this

#5646 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 02 November 2021 - 02:03 PM

A small percentage of Air Canada and WestJet employees have been suspended after failing to meet COVID-19 vaccination requirements.

According to a WestJet spokesperson, less than 300, or four per cent, of its 7,300 employees have been placed on a one-month leave, after which they may lose their jobs. The vaccine mandate extends from the federal government, which in September said that all federally regulated transportation sector employees must be fully vaccinated by Oct. 30.

That mirrors vaccination requirements for air and rail travellers, who must also be vaccinated as of Oct. 30.

Air Canada said that about four per cent of its employees remain unvaccinated, although the airline did not provide a concrete number of employees. Air Canada will review accommodation requests and employees not approved for an exemption will be placed on a six-month unpaid leave, at which point they may be terminated.

https://www.vicnews....accine-mandate/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 November 2021 - 02:04 PM.

#5647 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 06:12 PM

BREAKING NEWS:

Air Canada CEO says he's lived in Montreal 'without speaking French' for 14 years

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rench-1.6236356

Quebec Liberal Party Leader Dominique Anglade also reacted, calling Rousseau's comments "appalling and disrespectful" and stating that "Air Canada frankly does not understand the impact of its decisions," to appoint a CEO who does not speak adequate French. 

The Fédération des communautés francophones et acadienne du Canada, an organization representing Canadian francophone and Acadian communities, has asked Rousseau to apologize. 

"He must apologize for his insensitive attitude and his lack of respect for francophones," said the federation's president, Liane Roy.

"If the Commissioner of Official Languages had the power to issue orders and impose penalties … maybe it would be taken more seriously," Roy added.

:farmer:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 November 2021 - 06:14 PM.

#5648 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 11:21 AM

Strange times.

Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau has apologized and committed to improving his French amid heavy backlash by federal and Quebec officials who called his recent comments about not needing to speak French despite having lived in Montreal for 14 years shocking and disrespectful.

"I want to clarify that I did not want in any way to disrespect [Quebecers] and francophones across the country. I apologize to those who were offended by my words," Rousseau said in a statement Thursday, following fiery criticism from officials hours earlier.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...rench-1.6236690

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 November 2021 - 11:22 AM.

#5649 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 12:56 PM

A chopper has crashed near Nanoose Bay. Medivac headed that way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5650 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 01:21 PM

Med *evac*.  MEDical EVACuation.

MEDIcal VACuum?

:teacher:  :)

Edited by North Shore, 04 November 2021 - 01:21 PM.

• todd likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5651 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 01:37 PM

It’s both. Medevac -or- medivac.
  • todd likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5652 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 08:30 PM

I've never seen such a thin Time Table from Air Canada from now till Jan 2022. Last flight into YYJ from YVR at 8pm and isn't not even daily, nor is current YYZ service. Just 6 round trips pre day to YVR per day right now. But starting Jan 10. 2022, looks like everything triples in daily frequency.

#5653 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 06 November 2021 - 08:36 PM

Certainly a big positive shift in the stock price!

Know it all.

#5654 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 06:09 AM

I've never seen such a thin Time Table from Air Canada from now till Jan 2022. Last flight into YYJ from YVR at 8pm and isn't not even daily, nor is current YYZ service. Just 6 round trips pre day to YVR per day right now. But starting Jan 10. 2022, looks like everything triples in daily frequency.

I'm staying in Toronto one more day so I can take the YYZ direct to YYJ flight. Wanted to fly out this coming Tuesday, now leaving Wednesday.

#5655 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 10:36 AM

Certainly a big positive shift in the stock price!

Family arrived a week ago, flight over from YVR was completely full. Seat selection on line last night showed near full again. No doubt saving a few dollars and making a few dollars right now. 

• Mike K. likes this

#5656 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 07 November 2021 - 12:07 PM

Currently sitting in the Ottawa airport waiting for a flight to Toronto. The airport is a ghost town. No waits for security or baggage check. Employees falling over themselves to help you. But the flight itself is full. So was my flight from Vancouver to Ottawa last week.
  • Matt R. and Missed Approach like this

#5657 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 November 2021 - 10:18 PM

I'm staying in Toronto one more day so I can take the YYZ direct to YYJ flight. Wanted to fly out this coming Tuesday, now leaving Wednesday.

Over the years I've taken that flight maybe ten times and never once has it left Toronto anywhere near on time.  Average is about two hours late.  Worst was 4.5 hours late, and they had to get a special exemption to land in Victoria because we arrived way after the curfew (about 1:30 a.m.).

Yet for some reason the flight going the other way, to Toronto, is on time every time.

• Mike K. and Missed Approach like this

#5658 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 06:36 AM

Over the years I've taken that flight maybe ten times and never once has it left Toronto anywhere near on time.  Average is about two hours late.  Worst was 4.5 hours late, and they had to get a special exemption to land in Victoria because we arrived way after the curfew (about 1:30 a.m.).

Yet for some reason the flight going the other way, to Toronto, is on time every time.

Thanks for the heads up. I will report back if the flight leaves late.

• Mike K. likes this

#5659 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:33 AM

Breaking News

I just heard some news a half hour ago that Alaska Airlines will not be servicing YYJ until further notice. Flights are being transferred to domestic carriers. This isn't public yet (if it is accurate) but it would mean that YYJ would no longer be an "International" airport.

#5660 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:47 AM

^ Update
I just heard that Alaska will resume flights to Seattle Nov 30.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users