Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7523 replies to this topic

#5661 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 553 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 11:05 AM

Air Canada CEO says he's lived in Montreal 'without speaking French' for 14 years.

Not really the point.  Montreal is not representative of the province.  Notice he didn't say, "I've lived in Quebec City or Trois Riviere or Sherbrooke for 14 years.

When in Rome...

You're not gonna hear a French Canadian say I lived in Victoria for 14 years and never spoke English.

10 bucks says he walks.

Edited by Fairbanks, 09 November 2021 - 11:07 AM.

#5662 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 01:54 PM

Breaking News

I just heard some news a half hour ago that Alaska Airlines will not be servicing YYJ until further notice. Flights are being transferred to domestic carriers. This isn't public yet (if it is accurate) but it would mean that YYJ would no longer be an "International" airport.

^ Update
I just heard that Alaska will resume flights to Seattle Nov 30.

Do you mean that people that had bookings on Alaska before November 30th were accommodated on other carriers? That's something completely different.

Even if Horizon did pack up and ended service to YYJ, that wouldn't change the airport's status as an international airport. Last I checked, Las Vegas and Mexico are not in Canada. And once the airport resumes as an international port on November 30th, private aviation and charters are accepted from other countries too.

#5663 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,003 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 02:02 PM

Drone copter flights can’t come soon enough.

Fill it with 8 people, send it off.

Vancouver and Seattle on demand.

No early arrival. No security. Tap your card and board like a bus.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 November 2021 - 02:23 PM.

#5664 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:42 PM

Air Canada CEO says he's lived in Montreal 'without speaking French' for 14 years.

Not really the point.  Montreal is not representative of the province.  Notice he didn't say, "I've lived in Quebec City or Trois Riviere or Sherbrooke for 14 years.

When in Rome...

You're not gonna hear a French Canadian say I lived in Victoria for 14 years and never spoke English.

10 bucks says he walks.

Now that the Finance minister and the PM have chimed in, I wouldnt be surprised.  (Despite the fact that *they* just appointed a non French-speaking Governor General!)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#5665 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:54 PM

Do you mean that people that had bookings on Alaska before November 30th were accommodated on other carriers? That's something completely different.

Even if Horizon did pack up and ended service to YYJ, that wouldn't change the airport's status as an international airport. Last I checked, Las Vegas and Mexico are not in Canada. And once the airport resumes as an international port on November 30th, private aviation and charters are accepted from other countries too.

Just booked a flight to Palm Springs via Seattle on Alaska for Jan. Hope they don't cancel it!

• Matt R., SimonH and Missed Approach like this

#5666 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 08:59 PM

His 'crime' was saying that he didn't speak French. What he should have said is that he has a learning disability that makes it extremely difficult for him to learn other languages. 

• Barrrister likes this

#5667 LJ

LJ
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 09 November 2021 - 09:28 PM

^ Update
I just heard that Alaska will resume flights to Seattle Nov 30.

Wow, a fourteen minute rumour.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5668 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 06:31 AM

Over the years I've taken that flight maybe ten times and never once has it left Toronto anywhere near on time.  Average is about two hours late.  Worst was 4.5 hours late, and they had to get a special exemption to land in Victoria because we arrived way after the curfew (about 1:30 a.m.).

Yet for some reason the flight going the other way, to Toronto, is on time every time.

Left on time, in to Victoria about 10 minutes late. Plane wasn't as full as my other 2 flights.

#5669 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 10:31 PM

I assume you're discussing the AC flight from YYZ. Time and equipment varies, but certainly since it's towards the end of the day if there is weather somewhere on the AC network out east it can be delayed. I don't think there's much of a priority to get this flight out on time since there are no connections on this side so having it depart late vs. a flight to Calgary will have less of an impact on the network. That means if there's a flight to Calgary or somewhere else scheduled around the same time with the same equipment that is running quite late, it's possible that AC substitutes the aircraft for this flight so as not to have people misconnect on that end.

Having said that, although it can be late, it's not generally an average of 2 hours type of thing.

https://flightaware....ACA1135/history

Of the last 6 flights, 4 were more or less on time, one was about an hour late, and the other was an hour and a half late or so.

Because the aircraft overnights here at this time of year, the flight out of Victoria is much more likely to depart on time.

• Missed Approach likes this

#5670 FogPub

FogPub
  • 980 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 November 2021 - 12:26 AM

Guess it's just been my bad luck, then.  I'm talking a period of about ten years, taking the flight maybe once a year on average, at all different times of the year and not at all since about 2017.

The only time I can remember flying out of Toronto to somewhere else (Indianapolis, several years ago in the summer), that flight also left well over 4 hours late; arriving at 2:30 a.m. to an otherwise-closed airport and one pissed-off customs agent who without having to wait for our flight would have been long since home in bed.

And, Air Canada in all instances noted here.

#5671 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:10 AM

I'd say being over an hour late 1/3 of the time is not a good record.

#5672 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 09:21 AM

The delays are also helpful for those arriving in Toronto from international destinations who need to connect to Victoria/Vancouver Island. So we might have a scenario where the delays are often helpful in that regard.

• Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5673 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:14 PM

The delays are also helpful for those arriving in Toronto from international destinations who need to connect to Victoria/Vancouver Island. So we might have a scenario where the delays are often helpful in that regard.

FWIW, I just tracked the incoming flights for both of the delayed arrivals noted above. Both arrived in Toronto on time.

The flights may very well have been held for connecting passengers.

#5674 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:51 PM

The flights may very well have been held for connecting passengers.

That would be my guess. So 100 or 200 folks were inconvenienced so one or two people could get home on time. I think if you asked that much larger group of people whether they would agree to that, I'm sure the answer would have been NO. If my flight had been a couple of hours late, I would not expect my friend to wait that long to pick me up. I took a taxi to the airport because my flight to Ottawa left so early I would never ask someone to endure that with me. So if they held the plane for a few hours so someone could make their connection, I would have been looking at another expensive taxi trip. Not cool. 

#5675 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:27 PM

That would be my guess. So 100 or 200 folks were inconvenienced so one or two people could get home on time.

Or rather, so the airline doesn’t haven’t to compensate two people for the delay on their previous flight.

#5676 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:31 PM

That would be my guess. So 100 or 200 folks were inconvenienced so one or two people could get home on time. I think if you asked that much larger group of people whether they would agree to that, I'm sure the answer would have been NO. If my flight had been a couple of hours late, I would not expect my friend to wait that long to pick me up. I took a taxi to the airport because my flight to Ottawa left so early I would never ask someone to endure that with me. So if they held the plane for a few hours so someone could make their connection, I would have been looking at another expensive taxi trip. Not cool. 

Or rather, so the airline doesn’t haven’t to compensate two people for the delay on their previous flight.

Nah, they wouldn't hold a flight of 200 people if only one or two were delayed. Extra wages etc would be worth far more than compensation and overnight stays for 2 people. *If* the reason the flight was delayed was to hold for connections, it would have had to be a good proportion of the passengers.

#5677 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,983 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 05:38 PM

United is quite open about their program, called ConnectionSaver. You can read about it here: United’s “ConnectionSaver” tool has saved 50,000 missed flights - The Washington Post

A lot of math goes into the decision to hold a flight for connections, including what the impact is on passengers that are already ready to go.

It considers the effect that holding the flight could have on other passengers and flights as well as how long it will take the connecting travelers to get to the plane, and also takes into account airport curfews, crew working hours and whether other planes are waiting for a gate.

#5678 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 07:32 PM

Looks like my butt was out a mile.

Alaska Airlines is going to give it a go.

https://www.timescol...-nov-30-4770281
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#5679 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 567 posts

Posted 19 November 2021 - 11:04 AM

Just wondering how many more months or how many more years the closed taxiway remains closed at YYJ.

Saw family off the other day and went to the viewing area to wave them off and the 4 million dollar extension to the runway remains closed. The new CCTV stand is done, I don't see why it's still closed off. New problems?

#5680 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 262 posts

Posted 01 December 2021 - 07:44 AM

Alaska Airlines restarted service from SEA to YYJ yesterday. 

• Mike K., Nparker and Missed Approach like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users