Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#6121 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 July 2022 - 10:48 AM

From what I read online, its more like a mainline with LCC operations than a ULCC like Swoop. Show me a LCC that gives you free wifi for every flight? 

#6122 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,008 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 03:16 AM

The Victoria International Airport is planning a new feature commonly seen at large airports around the world — an on-site hotel.

“Given our size and the fact that we serve a world-renowned tourist destination,” travellers would expect a hotel on the property, said Rod Hunchak, director of business development and airport spokesman.

A hotel will help the airport ­diversify its revenues, he said. During the pandemic when passenger numbers plummeted, tenants of airport lands delivered stable revenues to the airport.

Developer Kothari Group, of Mississauga, Ont., plans to build a three-storey, extended-stay hotel at Beacon Avenue and the Patricia Bay Highway. It would have 129 units, all with full kitchens, in studio and one- and two-bedroom suites.

A free shuttle service between the hotel and airport will be offered.

https://www.timescol...a-hotel-5634341

I guess they might expect it.  But since the 40's it's never had one.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 July 2022 - 03:16 AM.

#6123 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 05:46 AM

It’ll be kitty-corner from an existing hotel, making it less an airport hotel, more a hotel on airport land.
  • Nparker, lanforod and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6124 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:45 AM

I wouldn't have called this an 'on-site' hotel either. On-site to me is like the Fairmont YVR. Its connected directly to the terminal.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#6125 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:47 AM

Can’t wait for the first bloke to tell the wife and kids don’t worry, I’ve booked us a night at the airport hotel!

45 minute walk later…
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6126 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 10:03 AM

Most of the hotels that cater to airline passengers, have shuttle vans to and from the airport.

• Redd42 likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#6127 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 10:57 AM

I wouldn't have called this an 'on-site' hotel either. On-site to me is like the Fairmont YVR. Its connected directly to the terminal.

Agreed. I don't see the point though. There are no connecting flights through YYJ so the only market are people arriving or departing the airport. If you are arriving then presumably you have plans made and it is not like the airport is so far from existing hotels that you would want to stay overnight just to catch an early flight.

• Barrrister likes this

#6128 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,008 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 11:00 AM

Some business travellers like to be near the airport. Not sure if we have too much of that though.

#6129 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 11:57 AM

Most of the hotels that cater to airline passengers, have shuttle vans to and from the airport.

You’d think so, but there’s no shuttle to the Travelodge Victoria Airport hotel.
  • Matt R. and Hotel Mike like this

Know it all.

#6130 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 03:28 PM

And no shuttle from the Cedarwood Inn either. Love this place if we have an early flight.

#6131 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,008 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 05:37 PM

Transat AT Inc. has secured another emergency loan from Ottawa as the tour operator struggles to shore up its balance sheet.

Transat said Friday it has reached a deal to borrow $100 million from the Canada Enterprise Emergency Funding Corporation.

The Crown corporation loan comes precisely 15 months after Transat received a $700-million government loan, saying then that nearly half of the funding would flow toward passenger refunds.

https://www.vicnews....travel-rebound/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 July 2022 - 05:37 PM.

#6132 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:30 PM

You’d think so, but there’s no shuttle to the Travelodge Victoria Airport hotel.

Would a taxi pick you up at 4am to go to the airport, I'm doubtful.

• Matt R. likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,544 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:50 PM

I hear that’s a problem at the Cedar Inn. No taxis!
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#6134 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 07:53 PM

Nope!

#6135 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 609 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 01:41 PM

Alaska ( Horizon ) is showing the E175 jet operating to YYJ at the end of the first week in Jan 2023.

Even tho AS is only operating one single flight per day starting in late Aug to Victoria.

#6136 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 02:13 PM

...Even tho AS is only operating one single flight per day starting in late August to Victoria.

I had to re-route my September Alaska flights to/from Maui through Vancouver because of this.  :angry:

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6137 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 09:47 PM

Alaska ( Horizon ) is showing the E175 jet operating to YYJ at the end of the first week in Jan 2023.

Even tho AS is only operating one single flight per day starting in late Aug to Victoria.

Didn't Alaskan operate multiple flights a day from Victoria to Seattle before Covid - like  6 or something?

#6138 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 02:25 AM

Didn't Alaskan operate multiple flights a day from Victoria to Seattle before Covid - like  6 or something?

Yes. They are quite short of appropriate aircraft right now.

They're phasing out their Q400s.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6139 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:33 AM

Yes. They are quite short of appropriate aircraft right now.

They're phasing out their Q400s.

That and cross border traffic is down due to covid requirements.

#6140 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,008 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:38 AM

I notice that both New Zealand and Australia have their highest ever new cases and daily deaths of the entire pandemic - right now.

But they’ve both dropped their draconian measures.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 July 2022 - 08:38 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users