Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#6141 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 09:34 AM

^ Mortality rate is way down though. Tracking about 0.1% compared to 2%-3% initially and that is with a much smaller % of people being tested.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6142 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,021 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 09:58 AM

^ true.

#6143 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,489 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 10:05 AM

So why are we still doing what we are doing? I have a friend who did a conference in the states. No issues until she went to return. Delta wouldn’t let her board the plain. Had to get a test (thankfully negative) and download arrivecan. Must be the bruised ego. Thank you truckers!

#6144 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 10:07 AM

Canada is pretty much the only country in the world with the arrival and plane restrictions.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 July 2022 - 10:08 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#6145 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 31 July 2022 - 02:12 PM

So why are we still doing what we are doing? I have a friend who did a conference in the states. No issues until she went to return. Delta wouldn’t let her board the plain. Had to get a test (thankfully negative) and download arrivecan. Must be the bruised ego. Thank you truckers!

Two words. They are bad words though so don’t let your kids see: Justin Trudeau
  • Nparker, LJ and dasmo like this

#6146 DavidC

DavidC
  • 111 posts
  • LocationJames Bay / Edmonton

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:20 AM

So going to Mexico in October. Got a reasonable flight there (approx. $650 pp), but on the way back will have dead head in Calgary for approx. $1400 pp. To have made it home the same day would if been another approx. $550 pp.

Hotel for overnight in Calgary was only $250. So well worth the overnight. Any good suggestions for restaurants to have dinner at that night? Get in at 4:00 PM and don't take off until 10:30 the next day so no place is really off the table.

My Son is always quick to remind that the Calgary restaurant scene is so much better than that of Edmonton, and he’s largely correct, so some random thoughts on where you may enjoy a good meal.

For fine dining:

Teatro - classy old historic former bank building setting is special, food prepared with obvious attention to detail, great wine list, one of the best for years.  You’ll pay dearly, and downtown parking sucks, but an experience to remember. 

Alloy - think Miami Vice lounge vibe (in a good way), low ceiling linear room, good food and service.  Off the beaten path so parking is easy.

Rouge - old converted (reportedly haunted) house with a farm to table approach, interesting sauces, great wine advice.  Residential area with some parking. 
Mid tier (arguably as fine):

NOtaBLE - eclectic menu, good service, busy room.  Off street parking. 
Native Tongues - authentic Mexican cuisine, small plates, great bar.  Downtown parking.

Ten Foot Henry - largely vegetarian plates, some meat/seafood I think, very well done and busy. Downtown parking.

Klein / Harris - current fave, menu has lots of choice, thoughtful sauces, nice space, not too noisy. Downtown parking.

River Cafe - rustic room, veteran kitchen offering some game and Canadiana dishes. Park in Eau Claire and walk across bridge to the island. 
Ari Sushi - epic rolls and sashimi, tiny room, accordingly busy, parking OK.

Cheap & cheery:

Marko’s Kitchen - very tasty Eastern European dishes, no frills but friendly room, easy parking.

Have an enjoyable stay in Calgary!

Edit - realized you may not have a car, others may benefit from parking notes.

Edited by DavidC, 01 August 2022 - 08:28 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6147 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 08:26 AM

Teatro - classy old historic former bank building setting is special, food prepared with obvious attention to detail, great wine list, one of the best for years.  You’ll pay dearly, and downtown parking sucks, but an experience to remember. 

Yes, Teatro is great.

#6148 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,489 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 10:34 AM

Two words. They are bad words though so don’t let your kids see: Justin Trudeau

How the Prime Minister stole Freedom is a #1 best seller on amazon so the kids will be alright.  https://www.amazon.c...g=UTF8&qid=&sr=

• Nparker likes this

#6149 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 01 August 2022 - 05:10 PM

Has anyone done the Harbour Air flight from Vancouver to Kelowna? Looks like a fun trip!

#6150 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 02:26 AM

^ Mortality rate is way down though. Tracking about 0.1% compared to 2%-3% initially and that is with a much smaller % of people being tested.

I guess.  But this is the country that had Covid internment camps and radical lockdowns.

And today they are recording more deaths per day than ever.  No other western country has this pattern:

COVID-19 deaths and hospital admissions are breaking records in Australia – so what happens next?

https://www.abc.net....pread/101284428

Australia nears 12,000 Covid deaths with hospitals ‘heaving’ under caseload

Health minister says real number of infections twice what is known, as one in 12 public hospital beds is filled by a Covid patient

https://www.theguard...-under-caseload

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 August 2022 - 02:30 AM.

#6151 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,489 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 04:11 AM

Turn down the cycles on the PCR process….

#6152 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,489 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 04:12 AM

Or stop injecting people with a synthetic version and pretend it is only ineffective.

#6153 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 04:20 AM

EDIT

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 August 2022 - 04:20 AM.

#6154 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,489 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 04:33 AM

Or do the same thing and expect different results?

#6155 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 05:50 AM

British Airways has halted sales of tickets on short-haul flights from Heathrow Airport until 8 August as disruption to air travel continues.

The move is due to the cap on daily passenger numbers that the UK's largest airport has imposed over the summer.

The sales suspension will affect BA's flights to domestic and European destinations.

Thousands of air travellers have been hit by disruption in recent weeks, including last-minute cancellations.

Airports and airlines, which cut jobs during Covid lockdowns, have found it difficult to recruit enough staff as demand for holidays has returned.

Heathrow Airport has struggled to cope with the rebound in air travel and problems with its baggage handling systems have also led to passengers seeing huge delays in reclaiming their luggage.

https://www.bbc.com/...siness-62386909

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 August 2022 - 05:50 AM.

#6156 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 12:51 PM

British Airways has halted sales of tickets on short-haul flights from Heathrow Airport until 8 August as disruption to air travel continues.

Thanks, Truckers.

#6157 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,742 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 12:59 PM

I can't see a connection - facetious or otherwise - between the truck convoy in Ottawa 6 months ago and travel disruptions at Heathrow in August.

• Daveyboy and Victoria Watcher like this

#6158 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 02 August 2022 - 05:05 PM

I can't see a connection - facetious or otherwise - between the truck convoy in Ottawa 6 months ago and travel disruptions at Heathrow in August.

About as much connection as the rest of the stuff that has been "thanks, trucker"ed on here.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6159 Vin

Vin
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 11:45 AM

Has anyone done the Harbour Air flight from Vancouver to Kelowna? Looks like a fun trip!

I wonder how the plane can do an emergency landing mid-flight for that route. I rather stick close to the coastal waters, but that's just me.

#6160 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,021 posts

Posted 03 August 2022 - 11:47 AM

I wonder how the plane can do an emergency landing mid-flight for that route. I rather stick close to the coastal waters, but that's just me.

How does the Westjet 737 on the same route do it?

• lanforod likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)