Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7568 replies to this topic

#6341 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,307 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 12:39 PM

West Jet is just the flip side of AC these days.

Can’t blame the two airlines for price fixing. It’s easy when you only have to check one other airline.

#6342 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 12:43 PM

It's not just the cost, it's the abysmal customer service that both airlines offer now. As you said, they don't care when you essentially only have a choice between 2 carriers.

#6343 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,861 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 01:38 PM

Sorry, $13,000?

#6344 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 04:48 PM

Luckily the government deems us to only have a couple airlines.

There are 4 airlines that serve the Calgary - Victoria route. What are you on about?

#6345 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 04:51 PM

Sorry, $13,000?

These high fares seem to be a combination of the airlines wanting to protect the remaining seats for stranded passengers by setting them high enough not to sell and get more people into the system. I have also seem some unusual connections that priced out as separate tickets such as Calgary - Toronto - Victoria in Business class with whatever inventory was remaining. Basically buying two full fare trans continental business class tickets.

#6346 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 December 2022 - 06:50 PM

That makes no sense. Just dont put the seats in the system if that’s the case. This is just plane gouging. 👀
  • aastra and Matt R. like this

#6347 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 24 December 2022 - 11:22 PM

The chief executive also promoted the free beer and wine options served in glassware and the soon-to-be-added free Wi-Fi and premium complimentary snacks. He said that for the past 20 years, many of Canada’s airlines have been taking away items otherwise previously offered to economy passengers, and now with the entrance of ultra-low-cost carriers, there has been a “race to the bottom.”

“They’re not doing anything to make economy or travel more enjoyable.”

e2-options.jpg

Now, Porter plans to enter the segment of the market it believes has been neglected to offer an “elevated economy experience” throughout Canada.

While the airline has announced a number of new destinations, especially in Western Canada, Deluce said the announcements will continue, with Porter planning to expand to all major destinations in Canada and the U.S. by 2024.

In that time, the airline plans to take on 50 new aircraft to further expand routes and flight frequency with high-quality economy flights on a broader scale at a time when many other airlines have cut back.

“Our goal is to actually make economy air travel enjoyable again,” said Deluce.

https://www.timescol...pansion-6273204

Porter-CS100-scaled.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 December 2022 - 11:23 PM.

#6348 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 07:54 AM

These high fares seem to be a combination of the airlines wanting to protect the remaining seats for stranded passengers by setting them high enough not to sell and get more people into the system. I have also seem some unusual connections that priced out as separate tickets such as Calgary - Toronto - Victoria in Business class with whatever inventory was remaining. Basically buying two full fare trans continental business class tickets.

My SIL wasn’t even being accommodated by Westjet. They said she’d get to Victoria when they decided to seat her. That’s why she booked on AC, just to get home for the holidays and spend a couple of days with family before she has to return.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6349 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 07:59 AM

There are 4 airlines that serve the Calgary - Victoria route. What are you on about?

The cabotage rules.

Seattle to New York you can fly - daily:

Jet Blue

Alaska

United

Delta

Spirit

American

Vancouver to Toronto:

Westjet

AC

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 December 2022 - 08:03 AM.

#6350 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 08:29 AM

The US has 9 times the population of Canada. Their infrastructure will be greater than Canada.

They simply have more choices.

#6351 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 08:39 AM

Except I compared similar sized cities. Toronto is the 4th largest city in all of North America. We need more choice. Eliminating the cabotage rules would do that.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 December 2022 - 08:40 AM.

#6352 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,237 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 December 2022 - 11:07 AM

That makes no sense. Just dont put the seats in the system if that’s the case. This is just plane gouging. 👀

I’m disappointed in aastra. Flew right over his and everyone else’s head. I stuck the landing and everything.
  • aastra likes this

#6353 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 12:08 PM

Except I compared similar sized cities. Toronto is the 4th largest city in all of North America. We need more choice. Eliminating the cabotage rules would do that.

Yes but would that "more choice" result in empty seats?

It has to be profitable as well as convenient. There are only so many travellers wanting to fly between Toronto and Vancouver. Doubling the amount of airlines won't necessarily double the amount of passengers.

#6354 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 12:17 PM

Eliminate cabotage. That offers airlines on both sides of the border much more flexibility.

For example now you could have Vancouver > Toronto > New York. Or NY > Vancouver > Seattle.

Those routes are illegal now.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 December 2022 - 12:19 PM.

#6355 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 12:20 PM

I’m disappointed in aastra. Flew right over his and everyone else’s head. I stuck the landing and everything.

Sorry, I didn't even see it until just now. I'd love to offer something aircraft-related in reply but I can't think of anything. I'll leave y'all to imagine something clever and hilarious.

#6356 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 05:46 PM

Vancouver to Toronto:

Westjet

AC

You missed a few.

Flair

Lynx

Air Transat

Porter

#6357 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 05:52 PM

Don’t forget Mike’s favourite….Swoop.

#6358 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 06:12 PM

Don’t forget Mike’s favourite….Swoop.

If ya don't mind trekking to Abbotsford.

But since we're making the comparison to New York, which has multiple airports, that seems fair.

Edited by vortoozo, 25 December 2022 - 06:13 PM.

#6359 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,307 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 07:17 PM

You missed a few.
Flair
Lynx
Air Transat
Porter

And you completely misread my post. It said DAILY.

Look, if you support Canadian protectionism, driving up prices (airlines, cellphones, dairy boards etc.) just say it. I’m OK with your position.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 December 2022 - 07:20 PM.

• vortoozo likes this

#6360 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 08:17 PM

Netjets works great for wherever you are going. 

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users