Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7636 replies to this topic

#6361 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 10:39 AM

Eliminate cabotage. That offers airlines on both sides of the border much more flexibility.

For example now you could have Vancouver > Toronto > New York. Or NY > Vancouver > Seattle.

Those routes are illegal now.

If you think that by eliminating cabotage rules it would make for an easier/cheaper/more enjoyable travel experience, you're dreaming in colour.  *Every* American airline would have you travel Toronto>NewYork/buffalo (or some other eastern US hub)>Seattle/LA>Vancouver

• lanforod likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#6362 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 10:45 AM

If you think that by eliminating cabotage rules it would make for an easier/cheaper/more enjoyable travel experience, you're dreaming in colour.  *Every* American airline would have you travel Toronto>NewYork/buffalo (or some other eastern US hub)>Seattle/LA>Vancouver

Ya, OK.  You think US airlines would not make Pearson a hub?   That's dreaming in colour.  It's the 3rd-largest city in Canada/USA and the only one away from the coast.  It's a very natural hub once you eliminate all the protectionist rules.  

But companies like Jetblue and Southwest don't have hubs, just like the discount airlines in Europe do not have them.

US airlines would be free to do all-Canadian routes.  And Canadian airlines could do the same in the US.

Eliminating cabotage could encourage more Canadian airlines as they could diversify their offerings.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 26 December 2022 - 10:55 AM.

#6363 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 11:30 AM

^ I’m ok with that. North America should be a free trade zone. Include Mexican airlines in this scenario and let the games begin.
  • Nparker, Matt R., lanforod and 2 others like this

#6364 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 07:26 PM

JetBlue has a hub at JFK, known as T5.

Southwest has hubs all over the US.

I think what watcher meant was those airlines prefer direct routes rather than connecting via their hubs. But they do connect if necessary.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6365 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 09:45 PM

They both have “focus cities” but they try not to run traditional hub/spoke systems.
  • vortoozo likes this

#6366 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 06:36 AM

False.
Both JetBlue and Southwest run traditional hub and spoke systems.

#6367 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 06:37 AM

False! They do not.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2022 - 06:39 AM.

#6368 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 06:44 AM

I'm on mobile and can't quote or share screenshots easily, however JetBlue has 6 hubs that nearly all their routes touch and Southwest has built significant connecting hubs in places like Oakland, Chicago Midway, Atlanta, Philadelpia etc.

And regarding a previous post, is 7 days a week with multiple frequencies not enough to be considered daily? That would certainly be a surprise to Porter and Flair.

#6369 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 06:47 AM

I dare you to find on their websites anywhere they call them hubs.

They have “connectivity” in big cities because they have large fleets and lots of flights. Bit it’s not designed as hub/spoke. Nor referred to as such.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2022 - 06:48 AM.

#6370 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 06:50 AM

And regarding a previous post, is 7 days a week with multiple frequencies not enough to be considered daily? That would certainly be a surprise to Porter and Flair.

No. Porter has never flown a plane to the west. But I look forward to their entry.

Flair is a joke, ask anyone who has booked. They constantly cancel and change flights. Very unreliable.

Now let’s let bigger airlines in too. Choice has always been best for the consumer.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 December 2022 - 06:57 AM.

#6371 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 07:03 AM

Who cares what they call it.
You can buy a connecting flight on Southwest through Oakland or JetBlue through Boston on one ticket and your baggage will get transfered through. Air Canada's entry level service used to be called Hospitality Class. Despite the name, it was still economy. Whatever word they use doesn't change what it is.

#6372 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 07:06 AM

Who cares what they call it.

Words have meaning. Use them wisely.

#6373 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 07:13 AM

Ok, Mr. "flair doesn't count as daily because they're unreliable.

#6374 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 07:42 AM

Flair disqualified themselves from the discussion due to their poor performance.

#6375 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 09:32 AM

Flair disqualified themselves from the discussion due to their poor performance.

^ What experiences do VVers have with Flair? Asking because I fly to Calgary a couple of times a year and used Aeroplan points to go direct on Air Canada. Those direct flights are gone after January 15, so I'm looking at alternatives to West Jet, which will inevitably become more expensive once AC's competition disappears. Anyone here flown on Flair or Lynx?

#6376 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 10:09 AM

It’s the cancellations and delays that are usually the gripe.

My personal experience with Swoop left me realizing that if you have to get somewhere on time, flying a discount carrier is not the best choice. And the cost wasn’t lower than AC, when I booked, just that the flight had a decent schedule. However, delays ruined whatever advantage Swoop had had.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6377 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 10:52 AM

^ Thanks. Looking around the 'net, it seems Lynx gets much better reviews than Flair. And Lynx's on-time performance is 82% (https://www.flightst...-rating/EG*/106) versus only 20% for Flair (https://www.flightst...-rating/F8*/602).

The Lynx analysis was for YYC-YVR while Flair's was for YYC-Abbotsford, so different routes, but leaving from the same airport (Calgary). The gap is so huge that the airlines' respective operations must be a contributing factor. Lynx is based in Calgary, so they might be more on top of what's happening there.

Edited by Jacques Cadé, 27 December 2022 - 12:34 PM.

#6378 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 11:51 AM

I've had similar odds on Flair and WestJet this year in terms of delays and cancelations. Both ran poor operations. With regards to flights that required compensation under APPR, Flair paid out substantially faster than WestJet.

#6379 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 12:56 PM

After a four hour delay, Swoop gave us vouchers to use for food, while on the flight, which had to be used that day at the terminal, and not at the final destination.

The flights attendants just threw up their arms.

Know it all.

#6380 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 05:37 AM

Southwest Airlines cancels 2,500 flights Wednesday as nationwide travel woes continue

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

vortoozo