Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7631 replies to this topic

#6561 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 01:20 PM

That’s a great aircraft, the “plus” seating is well worth it on those for longer flights.

Yup. The ambient lighting feature was a nice touch; I had a window seat and for a minute there I wondered what the hell happened to the sky and the sun. Nice feature though for assisting with sleep. And the USB port was a godsend for charging devices. I was so done after the previous 24 hours' whirlwind that I slept for about half the five hours to Vancouver. The rest of the time I spent beating the crap out of the seat-back entertainment system software playing 'highest difficulty level' chess :).

And not surprisingly the 787 is a far superior customer flying experience to those crappy Airbus 319/320's they frequently use.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#6562 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 01:56 PM

And not surprisingly the 787 is a far superior customer flying experience to those crappy Airbus 319/320's they frequently use.

Unless I'm flying Premium Economy or Business, my choice is the A320 family over the 787. Seats are wider, and there are fewer middle seats.

#6563 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,598 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 02:11 PM

Unless I'm flying Premium Economy or Business, my choice is the A320 family over the 787. Seats are wider, and there are fewer middle seats.

Premium Economy it was.....

• Matt R. and vortoozo like this

#6564 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 07:25 PM

Premium Economy it was.....

Premium Economy is a great product on AC.

• AllseeingEye likes this

#6565 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 15 February 2023 - 10:02 PM

Ahhh the foot rests… oh my.
  • AllseeingEye likes this

#6566 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:19 AM

Definitely depends on the plane. My wife and I flew Premium Economy to London and back a few years ago. The Premium Economy on the 777 was a marginal improvement over regular economy. But on the 787 there was a big advantage to premium. It felt much more relaxed and spacious.

• AllseeingEye and Matt R. like this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#6567 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:28 AM

Definitely depends on the plane. My wife and I flew Premium Economy to London and back a few years ago. The Premium Economy on the 777 was a marginal improvement over regular economy. But on the 787 there was a big advantage to premium. It felt much more relaxed and spacious.

On many of the wide body jets, a seat in the exit row in economy has a huge amount of space (although limited recline).

#6568 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,957 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 03:36 PM

Aircraft's engine could have had low power at time of 2022 crash: TSB

A Cessna 172P aircraft that crashed near the Qualicum Beach Airport on July 24, 2022, seriously injuring the pilot, had damage consistent with the engine producing low power

:teacher:

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 February 2023 - 03:37 PM.

#6569 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 01:27 PM

Porter Airlines today celebrated the inaugural flights between Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) and Calgary International Airport (YYC). The airline now flies to the two largest cities in Alberta as it grows its national network.

https://www.flyporte... E Two aircraft.

screenshot-www.flyporter.com-2023.02.22-16_36_39.png

https://www.newswire...-816480437.html

Service between Calgary and Toronto Pearson begins with two daily, non-stop return flights, increasing to three daily as of June 1. The flights are operated with Porter's new Embraer E195-E2 aircraft. The 132-seat aircraft features an all-economy, two-by-two configuration, which makes Porter the only airline with no middle seats on this route.

Porter has already inaugurated new routes this month connecting Toronto-Pearson with OttawaMontrealVancouver and EdmontonHalifax service begins on Feb. 23.

Porter_Airlines_Inc__Porter_Airlines_tou

Less than 100 of those planes in operation so far.

https://en.wikipedia..._family#E195-E2

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 February 2023 - 01:37 PM.

#6570 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 01:58 PM

No baby steps here. Good for Porter for going for it.

• Victoria Watcher likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#6571 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 22 February 2023 - 07:45 PM

The airline the experts said would fail within two years.

They will be my go-to airline for travel to YYZ.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6572 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 02:49 PM

Last week, the Saskatchewan government announced it would be subsidizing a direct WestJet flight between Saskatoon and Minneapolis, but critics say taxpayer dollars should not be used in this manner.

Minister of Trade and Export Jeremy Harrison made the announcement at the Saskatoon Airport on Friday. He said the province would provide a minimum revenue guarantee of up to $2.2 million to the Saskatoon Airport Authority over the next three years to support this flight.

"The connection will ensure that our province is a competitive place to do business and that Saskatchewan's economy continues to thrive and grow as well. This announcement will significantly benefit the province's outfitters, whose clients are primarily U.S. anglers and hunters."

Harrison said Americans make up four per cent of overnight visits to the province, but contribute eight per cent of total overnight visitor spending.

On Wednesday, Regina city council unanimously approved a tax break of more than $1 million for the Regina Airport Authority. The tax break was originally approved in 2019 and was set to expire this year.

Council placed a condition on the tax break saying the airport must secure a daily year-round service to a U.S. hub. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...bsidy-1.6756477

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 February 2023 - 02:50 PM.

#6573 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 03:27 PM

Aha. So it does happen.
  • Missed Approach and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6574 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 08:01 PM

Aha. So it does happen.

The VAA does not like veggies ( no carrots here )  :whyme:

#6575 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 09:56 PM

Eric announced this on his FB page today. Probably the smartest guy in the room, most of the time.

“ Well…..when I started at YVR 6 months ago as the Director of Culinary, they said that aviation would get into my blood and I would not leave, and they were correct (although it happened way faster than I expected).

I am very excited to announce that I have officially joined the YVR Executive Team as the new CXO (Chief Experience Officer), VP Guest Experience overseeing not only the culinary program, but also retail, lounges, duty free and overall guest experience including our service teams. This also means I am leaving the consulting world to actually take a real job! 😳

(Snip)

Airports for most people are places of anxiety and stress, and my objective for YVR is to create one of the best airport guest service experiences on the planet, from world-class customer service, to the food and retail program and everything in between from parking to your gate. We want to fly in the face of global trends to digitize everything, and instead focus on humanizing the experience and using our people to make your trip the best one possible.

That all being said, I would love to hear from all of you. What is it that you would like to see or have happen in YVR to alleviate the stress and anxiety? What can we do to make your trip the best one possible?

(Snip)

My direct email is eric_pateman@yvr.ca if you have any suggestions you would like to send to me personally, or feel free to leave comments below and hopefully spur an interesting discussion on what it would take to remove the stress from travelling through YVR. ”

https://ericpateman.com/

#6576 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,723 posts

Posted 25 February 2023 - 10:17 PM

Now if YYJ could only secure some regular service to more exotic destinations than the lower mainland, Calgary, TO and Ottawa.

• Matt R. and Missed Approach like this

#6577 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 04:55 PM

Some Lynx news...

https://www.castanet...ancouver-flight

A YYJ airline employee friend of mine, has heard, Lynx is also eyeing dropping YYJ in either late March or April to move the aircraft to another cross border route from YYC.

Load factors have been stale they said on their YYJ - YYC route, just 2 days a week. Even tho it's moving to 3 days a week in April.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#6578 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,957 posts

Posted 26 February 2023 - 05:01 PM

Good intel.

#6579 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 February 2023 - 01:40 PM

That'll leave only Flair and Westjet. Slim pickings.

#6580 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 February 2023 - 04:36 PM

Some news from YLW ....

https://globalnews.c...-seattle-route/

No changes to YYJ service, still one daily till June when it goes to twice daily till late Sept.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users