Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#6601 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 10:28 PM

^ They do have a shuttle to SEA, no need for a cab. But yes, definitely more targeted at bringing folks from Seattle up here.

Not sure of the status, there was buzz about it just a month ago. COO of Kenmore used to be CEO of the Clipper. He knows the market.

Destination Greater Victoria aims to win back U.S. visitors - Victoria Times Colonist

“We are pretty bullish on Victoria,” said Gudgel, whose company is talking with ­Victoria International Airport about service between Seattle’s Boeing field and YYJ with a ­nine-passenger Cessna aircraft.

“We’re excited about that because we’ve seen capacity into YYJ drop precipitously,” he said.

Prior to the pandemic, there were seven flights a day between Victoria and Seattle, and now there’s one Alaska ­Airlines flight, he said. “We’re looking to supplement what Alaska’s doing.”

• Missed Approach likes this

#6602 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,856 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 12:45 AM

Ottawa greenlights WestJet's takeover of Sunwing
MONTREAL — The federal government gave the thumbs-up Friday to WestJet Airlines' takeover of Sunwing Airlines and Sunwing Vacations in a major consolidation of the Canadian aviation market following a tumultuous year for travel.

#6603 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 March 2023 - 02:24 PM

Flair just had 4 of their planes seized due to unpaid leases.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...zures-1.6776186

Edited by Kilo95, 11 March 2023 - 02:31 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#6604 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 09:04 AM

^ One down.

#6605 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:42 AM

^  One down?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#6606 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 10:53 AM

^ One down,
  • Matt R. likes this

#6607 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 02:42 PM

Lynx, growing in fleet, and growing in the east

https://canadianavia...to-its-network/

#6608 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 02:44 PM

Lynx, growing in fleet, and growing in the east

https://canadianavia...to-its-network/

The Fredericton announcement represents a further expansion of the Calgary-based airline’s footprint in Eastern Canada and follows the addition of Montreal to Lynx’s network just last week.

Lynx plans to grow its fleet from 6 to 9 aircraft over the next 3 months in anticipation of a busy summer in Canada.

Tickets go on sale today, and the fares are truly ultra-affordable, starting from $79* one way Toronto to/from Fredericton and $199* one way Fredericton to/from Calgary, including taxes and fees. To celebrate, the airline has launched a limited-time seat sale, offering up to 50 per cent off all base fares on both Fredericton routes. The sale will run from March 13, 2023, ending at 11:59 PM EDT on March 14, 2023, and can be accessed with the promo code: FREDERICTON. For complete details and to book an ultra-affordable fare, visit FlyLynx.com.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2023 - 02:44 PM.

#6609 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 02:46 PM

Flair Airlines CEO Stephen Jones is apologizing to passengers after four of its leased aircraft were seized on Saturday in Toronto, Edmonton and Waterloo, Ont..

The seizures were "unexpected and unwarranted," Jones said during a media availability on Tuesday. The planes were seized by a New York hedge fund.

Jones said the disruption affected a little less than 1,900 people in the three cities. He said customers can have confidence in the Edmonton-based airline to fulfil its duties.

"We're committed to being here for all Canadians, to keeping fares low, getting business now back to usual," he said. 

"There are airlines out there that don't want Flair to exist, but we will fly and we're going to thrive."

Jones told reporters the airline is current on all its lease payments. If Flair can't recover the aircraft, Jones said the airline will need to procure more or trim its summer schedule to fit.

"We were a few days late on a million dollars and to have this action taken is super unusual," he said. 

Jones said he believes the seizure was connected to the lessors' conversations with "another airline" but remained tight-lipped on which airline he thought it was.

"As a lessor, the last thing you want to do is take back aircraft completely unexpectedly and then be stuck with them. It's pretty clear they had somewhere else to put these aircraft," he said.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...eized-1.6778657

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 14 March 2023 - 02:47 PM.

#6610 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 06:21 PM

Peninsula News Review story on VAA CEO Geoff Dickson's retirement in the fall.

https://www.peninsul...ctoria-airport/

Edited by Missed Approach, 14 March 2023 - 06:22 PM.

#6611 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 12:33 PM

Flair Airlines has filed a $50-million lawsuit against several plane-leasing companies over the "unlawful" seizure of four of its aircraft over the weekend.

The filings in Ontario Superior Court state that a trio of leasing firms found a better deal for the Boeing 737 Maxes with a third party and then "set Flair up" for default, amounting to an illegal termination of leases.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...tract-1.6779841

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 March 2023 - 12:33 PM.

#6612 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:35 PM

^Desparation lawsuit, hoping people will still book flights.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6613 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 604 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 09:24 PM

PCA has been struggling to keep up with the pilot shortage and AME's.

They have shifted priorities in my eyes, to the WestJet Link service and running a parallel service seems pointless, esp when running a 19 seat Beechcraft next to a 34 seat Saab 340 with WestJet Link to the same destination. 

https://www.pacificc...nbrook-service/

#6614 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:46 PM

I consider Cranbrook to be quite underserved. AC used to run 3x daily from YVR, now they're down to 1. I'm surprised that this is the market that they've chosen to discontinue.

I'm actually booked on this flight from Cranbrook on Pasco next month, luckily prior to the end date. Fares weren't particularly low.

Pasco and Westjet flights can now be booked on one ticket, but so far neither website allows you to do so. You have to use a travel agent.

If either website could be used to book a through connection, then they would probably be able to focus on specific destinations that are complimentary to the Westjet/Link network. However, connections require a terminal change in Vancouver so it's not seemless.

#6615 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 06:49 AM

What’s the draw to and from Cranbrook, vort? Skiing, etc?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6616 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,014 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:21 AM

Easier access to the Koots than flying into Cancelgar?
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#6617 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:38 AM

Easier access to the Koots than flying into Cancelgar?

What’s the draw to and from Cranbrook, vort? Skiing, etc?

It's a great part of the province, I've been a few times recently.

Last year I flew in when I was performing at a music festival in Fairmont Hot Springs.

A buddy opened a restaurant in Kimberly so I'm heading back out to visit and ski for Easter weekend.

If there were air access to Revelstoke I'd be all over that. Great mountain and town, but it's a little out of reach for a weekend getaway when the closest airport is over 2 hours away.

• Matt R. likes this

#6618 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:53 AM

Yes, all true. I used to go yearly to that area for the hot springs, etc. I haven't been back in a few years (who hasn't given up their regular travel over the last couple of years?)  :badpc:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6619 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,856 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 09:55 AM

Last year I flew in when I was performing at a music festival in Fairmont Hot Springs.

:confused:

#6620 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 10:05 AM

Yes, this is a plot twist. Vortoozo is already in line for Poster of the Year, and it’s only March.
  • Matt R., vortoozo and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users