Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7625 replies to this topic

#101 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 02:36 PM

Re. San Fran vs. San Jose: the latter is much more convenient for business in Silicon Valley (high tech industry). The LA direct connection would also be GREAT (film industry, etc.)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#102 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

I was thinking SF would be good because it isn't that far from the airport to SJ and you also have the bonus of going to SF which is a place that non-high tech people like to go to. Unless you are in the industry no reason to ever go to SJ.

LA would be another really good one. I mean just to take people to disneyland they could easily run that once a week. We will have to talk to Alaska Airlines.

#103 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:37 PM

San Fran is nice for pleasure, but San Jose is really close to Mountain View, and maybe is less crowded than San Fran? (Not sure.) But one real advantage that San Jose has is better weather, which makes for fewer delays. Ever read Andre Dubus's House of Sand and Fog? Never a truer description of the almost schizoid cleavage in weather patterns between "the valley" (which is sunny and dry) and San Francisco (shrouded in rain and fog, which can be misery for pilots)!

So if you're a business person and time is money, go where the sun shines... Which actually should make Victoria have an advantage over Vancouver, come to think of it. It's known for its blue holes, isn't it? (scroll down to "blue" on that page).
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

Victoria's airport traffic grew by 8% this October over October 2006. 6.1% growth overall so far this year.

#105 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 07:31 PM

Isn't that 8% growth regarding the total passengers for that month? For October 2007, there were 15,141 aircraft movements versus 11,940 last year. Hence, the summary notes a 26.8% change in total aircraft movements for October. Overall, this is a 5.9% change in total aircraft movements to date from January 1, 2007.

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, I meant passenger traffic.

#107 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 01:20 PM

The increase in aircraft movements is very suspect - no airport gets that kind of increase in a one month period unless something special like a military training exercise, or airshow or something occurred. I notice that they are estimating the "local traffic", as part of the total. I would guess that that is where the majority of the increase occurs.

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 05:24 PM

A Channel reported today that a Victoria - Los Angeles direct flight by United Airlines may be announced soon.

#109 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:21 PM

Our airport is too grand

Our airport authority seems to be following a familiar policy of empire building.

First they adopt a grandiose name for Victoria Airport by adding the word “International.”

Then, at the expense of travellers, they construct a terminal that is so overbuilt that most of the time it is just filled with echoes;

I flew out of Victoria a few days ago and the departure lounge wing was packed. "Overbuilt" isn't the word that comes to mind when you can't find a seat.

I like Victoria's airport but it's far from grand. Methinks it's just (finally) adequate in its current form.

#110 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:30 PM

Maybe it will be run by SkyWest, a United subsidiary.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:32 PM

Yeah, they run the seasonal Victoria - Salt Lake City route, don't they? Or is it Delta's subsidiary that runs that route?

#112 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:38 PM

Apparently Delta Connection is part of the reorganized United empire. Isn't deregulation/bankruptcy/Chapter 11 wonderful?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#113 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:41 PM

I flew out of Victoria a few days ago and the departure lounge wing was packed. "Overbuilt" isn't the word that comes to mind when you can't find a seat.

I like Victoria's airport but it's far from grand. Methinks it's just (finally) adequate in its current form.

More negative comments like this and I'll send a TASER crew for you.
  • aastra likes this

#114 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:37 PM

It's okay, I've calmed down now.

#115 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

A-Channel reports the Airport Authority would like to add 700 feet to each end of the runway in order to accommodate A-320s and 767s that could fly non-stop to Europe.

#116 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:18 PM

^ That is so last page ;)

#117 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 11:25 PM

A-320s and 767s that could fly non-stop to Europe.

I think the reporter goofed. A320s don't fly to Europe from NA and they're already operating out of Victoria on a daily basis. He probably meant A330's or A340's.

[/end nerd rant]

#118 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 07:31 AM

Apparently there is an open house on the plans for the airport tonight at Mary Winspear in Sidney. I think the paper said 7pm to 9pm,

That said I don't want anyone just racing out there. Please call and confirm, I don't want wasted carbon emissions on my head :)

#119 rchauhan

rchauhan
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:30 PM

Did anyone here end up going to the open house?

#120 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

Here's a summary:

http://www.canada.co...15-fa2b5877cfde

Draft Summary of Master Plan:

http://www.victoriaa...d 14Nov2007.pdf

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users