G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 06:51 AM

http://www.canada.co...bc250fc&k=77591

Langford considers multi-million dollar overhaul of Westbrook Mall
Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, October 02, 2007
A multi-million dollar proposal to remake the tired but busy Westbrook Mall in the heart of Langford's city core appears headed to public hearing.

"This is going to be a real people place - a downtown pedestrian core that we've been envisioning for several years," said Coun. Lillian Szpak, chairwoman of Langford's planning and zoning committee.

Churchill Property Corp. wants to transform the mall into about 280,000 square feet of residential, commercial and office space.

The proposal called Langford Centre, is estimated at about $87 million. It includes development of a mix of office, and retail with residential above. The buildings will be between four and seven storeys, Szpak said.

This sounds good for Langford. I love to see something like this happen on Shelbourne and Cedar Hill X Road or anywhere along Douglas or in James Bay or in Fairfield.

The 60's strip mall is a failed architectural blight and we should happily encourage greater density to get rid of them.

I haven't seen this proposal but it must be better than what is there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:24 AM

is that the place that used to be called CanWest Mall?

#3 LJ

LJ
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:36 AM

No.

The Canwest Mall has been renamed Westshore Mall and is further out off Kelly Road
This mall is right in the heart of downtown on Millstream road.

It will be a great project and continue with city councils upgrading of the downtown core.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:49 PM

Actually, it's on Goldstream, near the former Millstream intersection now known as Veterans Memorial Parkway. for the real hardcore Langford types, it's across the road from the old Westwind Hotel site. regardless, it's long overdue for a change. and now that the brand new, stand alone Starbucks is open in the corner of that parking lot, does this mean that the plans call to demolish it before it even needs a new coat of paint?

#5 LJ

LJ
  • 12,735 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 12:23 PM

Actually, it's on Goldstream, near the former Millstream intersection now known as Veterans Memorial Parkway. for the real hardcore Langford types, it's across the road from the old Westwind Hotel site. regardless, it's long overdue for a change. and now that the brand new, stand alone Starbucks is open in the corner of that parking lot, does this mean that the plans call to demolish it before it even needs a new coat of paint?

You're right - my error.

I would imagine that the new Starbucks building would be incorporated into the development, or they would make the entry into the underground parking beside it or some such.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#6 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 10:20 PM

Canwest Mall is actually called Westshore Town Centre now and this one will be called Langford Centre. So I guess someone needs to build something in Colwood called Colwood Centre and they'd all be covered...
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#7 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:37 PM

this is Westbrook mall

#8 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:00 PM

The 60's strip mall is a failed architectural blight and we should happily encourage greater density to get rid of them.

Well, it looks like we will be living with this blight for quite some time. I stopped in at the barber shop in the mall to catch up on the latest gossip. It appears this project has been cancelled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users