BUILT
Vista Senior Living
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 622 Admirals Road
Municipality: Esquimalt
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 11
Vista Senior Living is an 11-storey seniors residence along the 600-block of Admirals Road in the municipality... (view full profile)
Learn more about Vista Senior Living on Citified.ca
Photo

[Esquimalt] Vista Senior Living (Legion tower) | Seniors rentals, condos and memory care | 11-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#81 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:32 PM

^Oh that's dead... the property is up for sale.

Too tall, too glassy, too little stucco. :whyme:

Edited by Nparker, 25 June 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#82 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:40 PM

Why is it so fat (wide). Why do we allow these wide ass buildings to get approved?

It's still the major issue by far in Victoria re: bad development. And yet not a peep about it.

It boggles my mind, how we can have a nice collection now of newish buildings with small footprints that look great and fit well and enhance streetscapes (and aren't too tall)... and yet nobody ever cites them as examples of how things can/should be done. Every bloody time we go right back to the drawing board and risk making the same fundamental mistakes. I've made the observation before, how Victorians seem to be absolutely unwilling to follow Victoria's own good example. If it's a good thing and it happened in Victoria then let's all agree never to mention it.

#83 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

...It boggles my mind, how we can have a nice collection now of newish buildings with small footprints that look great and fit well and enhance streetscapes (and aren't too tall)... and yet nobody ever cites them as examples of how things can/should be done...

I may be a dreamer, but I am hoping that Promontory will dispel some of the fears around height and encourage some good new development.

#84 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

And yet the same developer is proposing this in Esquimalt. What a difference.

Drawing_from_the-south-500.jpg

Modern. Elegant. A little bit different.

Two thumbs up to that design.

Somebody should build this on the McCall Bros. Funeral parking lot on Johnson.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:36 AM

Part of me thinks these guys Will sell the rezoned property to another developer. If their "Corvette" project went nowhere what's the chance this one will?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

Times Colonist story says its yes to 12 floor Legion project and no to twin 10 floor Westbay towers.

However, some commenters on Esquimalt Community Connections facebook page are looking at the two projects and suggest Westbay project rejected because it was in upper-income shore-side area versus the Admirals Road low-income area around the Legion project. West Bay Residents Association appears to have been quite well-prepared to argue against the Westbay towers, including a photo-series showing the towers' shadow progression across their association area (graphic below). 

During the Esquimalt hearings on the Legion project, quite a big bundle of correspondence was received, starting with a couple of letters from angry neighbour Curtis Sankey, who in the second letter, informed the Legion that his Esquimalt Auto Parts company would be immediately stopping any overflow parking from the Legion pub.

Attached Images

• esquimalt westbay shadow fall.jpg

:)

#87 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

The Legion project was approved just two weeks ago but the entire development is up for sale currently.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 09:55 PM

Part of me thinks these guys Will sell the rezoned property to another developer. If their "Corvette" project went nowhere what's the chance this one will?

At least this means that lackluster design won't become a reality. It is a pity though that this project had involved the Legion only to immediately be placed on the market once approval was received.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:22 AM

A correction needs to be made. This project has not been put up for sale, however, the Corvette project, also by the same developer and also located on Admirals Road, was.

There was confusion regarding both proposals and their status'.

Know it all.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Yup, my fault.  Apologies.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#91 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:06 PM

Legion housing project could start this fall in Esquimalt - See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.td323MRi.dpuf

#92 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:16 PM

We dodged a bullet again with the previous "skyscraper" plans defeated:

"In 2010, Grant said the Legion might have to close down when its 17-storey condo project was rejected for being far too high...."

#93 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:26 AM

Esquimalt legion closes its doors to make way for the new and improved version. https://www.cheknews...s-doors-474453/

#94 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:04 AM

Esquimalt legion closes its doors to make way for the new and improved version. https://www.cheknews...s-doors-474453/

Nice, can't wait to see renderings

#95 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:41 AM

it should start next month

#96 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:57 AM

it should start next month

Is it just the legion property or does it also include the now closed JB auto parts store?

#97 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:13 AM

11-storey-Esquimalt-Legion-tower-to-include-rentals,-condos-and-memory-care-suites.jpg

An artist's sketch of Vista Senior Living, an 11-storey seniors residence coming soon to the site of Esquimalt's former Legion along the 600-block of Admirals Road.

11-storey Esquimalt Legion tower to include rentals, condos and memory-care suites

https://victoria.cit...ry-care-suites/

• RFS likes this
Know it all.

#98 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

Will definitely bring some visual interest and height to that area. Can’t wait. Looks like retail on the ground floor too

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:40 PM

It sure as heck isn't going to win any architectural innovation awards, but it will be an improvement over what it is replacing.

#100 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 11 May 2019 - 07:30 PM

Demo has begun!

There has been activity in the previous few weeks working on interior strip out, but demo has really got rolling this past week.

Only half of the building still remains, no roof, two large excavators on site.

Edited by Linear Thinker, 12 May 2019 - 08:35 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users