Streetcars in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
295 replies to this topic

#1 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:26 PM

Hi, I am new to this forum and look forward to adding and sharing views on transportation topics in the Victoria Region. My first topic is bringing back the streetcar to Victoria. I have included a map of such a proposal. But the thing is , I am not sure how to add pictures.

Could someone tell me how.

thanks

Aaron

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 06:46 PM

Upload your pictures to an online album like Photobucket.com or Imageshack.us.

Then, put the URL where your new picture lives between the IMG tags, like this:

And let the photo goodness begin.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2007 - 09:43 PM

Thanks,

Here is that map

Aaron

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the image, Aaron!

I fixed up your link, btw. What you'll want to to is "right click" on the original image in its original location, and selection "copy image location" for the correct address to the image. Then paste the link in between the [img] tags but ensure that only the last tag has the "/" character before the "ing]"

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:28 PM

Welcome to VV by the way!
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#6 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 March 2007 - 10:40 PM

Thanks for the welcome and for fixing the link.
This is going to be a busy few months for me, as I am preparing for a presentation at Uvic on the subject of streetcars in victoria. This is on top of my full time job and a several other projects I am working on as well.
I noticed someone posted my letter "Build a New Rail Station" in the commuter rail thread.

Thanks again

Aaron

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:37 PM

This post was originally posted by UrbanRail:

Here are some drawings of mine which is part of a proposal to build a new rail terminal in the downtown core.

Aaron

I cant seem to copy the links of these pictures/drawings from the website. In the mean time copy and paste the links to your browser.

Aaron

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:39 PM

UrbanRail, just out of curiosity, why is there a line going south down Cook, which is predominantly low-density, but no service to Vic West?

Know it all.

#9 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:49 PM

There are plans for high density around Cook St Village, plus it serves Beacon Hill Park. This is not the final map. As for a line to Vic West, I amt trying to decide on putting a line across the Bay St bridge or the Johnston st bridge, or lines on both bridges?

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

I think that not only is the density around cook street village not high enough but the neighbour would freak... Vic West is a much higher priority in my opinion.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:52 PM

I wouldn't freak. I think most people would applaud it.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

You also wanted Castana. Somehow I don't think you are FCA material ;)

It has a whole new look!

#13 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 04:57 PM

There is a catchment area of several thousand people within the Esquimalt and Bay street corridor. A line would be extremely successful running across the J Street bridge and onto Esquimalt Rd, then east onto Bay Street and straight through to Douglas or Government via B Street bridge where it would loop back south to downtown.

Also the downtown loops may not be large enough to warrant waiting for the tram to arrive. It would probably be more feasible to run a single loop from JB along Douglas and up to Hillside then south back to JB along Blanshard. Thoughts?

Know it all.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

Here are some thoughts. The red route could extend all the way to the Oak Bay Junction seeing as its such a transit-heavy and high-density corridor. The dark-blue route, running up to Hillside, could go even further but Hillside would be a good terminus for now.

The light-blue route is a Vic West line that would definitely be successful. At-present there are four bus routes that run through there including the two busiest routes in the entire city.

Know it all.

#15 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 05:46 PM

Population Density Map for Victoria 2001

Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#16 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

thanks for the suggestions, I will use them for the final map and show it at my presentation at Uvic in May. This is for a railway conference hosted by the Canadian Railway Historical Association and Canadian Association of Modelers. My presentation is titled "Streetcars in Victoria; Past, Present and Future"

Aaron

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:15 PM

Good Luck with the presentation Aaron! Be sure to post a version on here :)
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 06:53 PM

Yep this is great the more people talk about something the more chance that someone will decide it is a good idea.

It has a whole new look!

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:08 PM

I sometimes wonder how advanced our streetcar system would be today had we not destroyed it years back. Such a shame...

Know it all.

#20 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

I would suspect, that if people voted to keep the streetcars back in 1948, then PCC cars would have been ordered. The last year for PCC production was 1949. Like Toronto, Victoria would have kept the PCCs until a replacement was possible. Toronto designed its own new streetcars (the ones you see today), I cant remember what the company was called that built them.

During the 1970s, many new trams or streetcars or LRVs were being designed and built in Europe. Perhaps its possible that new ones would have been bought from there. During 1973/74 Victoria was doing an LRT study, and from what I am told from one of my sources, it was going to be built, but the NDP was defeated in the 1975 election and the Socreds took over and put an end to any plans of bringing back the streetcar. Also in 1973 birney car #400 was rebuilt and displayed in from of the Royal BC Museum for an number of years, before being shipped to Cloverdale and then to Nelson, where it is today.

In 1993 a streetcar study was done to look at building a downtown streetcar line from Herald and Fisgard streets, down Government to James Bay Square. This was part of the Victoria Accord. In 1996 a new LRT study was commissioned by the NDP to (like the 1974 one) look at a line from Downtown Victoria to Langford.

Continuing on the subject on what if the streetcar system was kept. The next phase would have been lowfloor LRVs or trams, similar to what is in Portland. I can only speculate, but with the growing amount of development occuring in our region, there is seems to be a growing interest in alternative forms of transport, like the return of the streetcar, and commuter rail on the E&N.

Aaron

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users