Rock Bay - the next master-planned development

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#81 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

If the area around the Hudson is still stuck in neutral after 100 years then I have to think Rock Bay is a long, long way from seeing any major changes.

Why, just because this thread is already eight years old?

Victoria--where architectural models for unbuilt concepts qualify for heritage status.

Edited by Holden West, 17 September 2014 - 11:47 AM.

• 2F2R and sebberry like this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

Perfect. They'll get a 10 year tax holiday.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Lots of those lots are owned by individuals who simply don't want to bother with redevelopment. They're paid off, earning income, and are low risk/low problem holding properties. Rock Bay will stay as is until the current owners pass them along to younger generations who will then sell or develop.

My boss sat on the rock bay ratepayers assoc and I can confirm that most of the owners in that area would love to do something with their land. They don't want to sell it, they want to develop it. Most are well capitalized and with the right deal could move forward. What they are really interested in is kissing a whole lot of peoples arses to help the city out. Not may partnerships work, when one partner thinks they are doing the other a favour.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#84 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

One wonders what complimentary developments might have been spurred if one of the *original* proposals for a Memorial Arena replacement had seen the light of day; I'm not 100% certain but I believe it was Fraser McColl who initially proposed not an undersized 7000-seat SoFC but a 10,000-seat facility down on Store Street near the waterfront. Had that been adequately capitalized and a business plan 'made sense' you have to think various funky bars, restaurants, retail etc., might have sprouted up as well. Ah to dream.....

#85 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

Control is what gets in the way and dreams rarely come from constraints, but rather letting the reigns go every now and then
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Hmmm, you don't say. I'd love to see someone, anyone, come forward with something. The time is right to move forward but nobody wants to build anything. It doesn't make sense.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

...Victoria--where architectural models for unbuilt concepts qualify for heritage status...

Can we get this planted in flowers on the Welcome to Victoria garden on the Inner harbour?

#88 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:22 AM

I still like my idea for hosting some sort of expo that could be placed on both this and the harbour lots. Going to see if I can find that old post.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#89 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

Here it is:

http://vibrantvictor...r-2022/?hl=expo

This could also be used as a catalyst for a street car between Ogden Point and Bay Street to move  people between the sites. It could eventually be stretched to Uptown.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

Dude, you're going to give council a collective aneurysm if you keep this up.

Know it all.

#91 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:54 PM

Hmmm, you don't say. I'd love to see someone, anyone, come forward with something. The time is right to move forward but nobody wants to build anything. It doesn't make sense.

If you put all the planning department and every councilor on notice that they had to come up with a plan that would raise taxes
10 fold from "the Rock Bay area" or they lose their jobs then stuff might just start happening.

it might be an urban legend but the tale goes that the bottom salesman at Pattison dealerships get fired every week/month. THAT
motivates people to "get er done"

why would anyone in Victoria's planning department care about Victoria if they don't live here, what would motivate them to
streamline any process. I sometimes think the whole department is full of people related to Stu Young and Frank Leonard
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:35 PM

If you put all the planning department and every councilor on notice that they had to come up with a plan that would raise taxes
10 fold from "the Rock Bay area" or they lose their jobs then stuff might just start happening.

it might be an urban legend but the tale goes that the bottom salesman at Pattison dealerships get fired every week/month. THAT
motivates people to "get er done"

why would anyone in Victoria's planning department care about Victoria if they don't live here, what would motivate them to
streamline any process. I sometimes think the whole department is full of people related to Stu Young and Frank Leonard

I sometimes think that too.

No wonder City Hall was so bent on rapid transit to the west shore ;)

Know it all.

#93 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 04:07 PM

I know this is late notice but there is a City-sponsored open house on the future of Rock Bay tonight until 6:30 pm at the Gabriel Ross furniture store. Please rush out and have your say!!!

• Nparker likes this

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

Holy moly, how did this remain under the radar?

Know it all.

#95 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:08 PM

Holy moly, how did this remain under the radar?

City has been advertising the crap out of it on Facebook and Twitter.

#96 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 08:16 PM

I know this is late notice but there is a City-sponsored open house on the future of Rock Bay...

Density, density, density.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 05:07 AM

City has been advertising the crap out of it on Facebook and Twitter.

I didn't see a single mention, nowhere.

Did anyone else? Does the City think we all just spend our days surfing Facebook?
  • http and thundergun like this

Know it all.

#98 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:10 AM

I didn't see a single mention, nowhere.

Did anyone else? Does the City think we all just spend our days surfing Facebook?

I only noticed it from Victorian Analysis' twitter feed, and only because she happened to be going.

#99 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 06:57 AM

I could only drop in for a couple of minutes but what happened was they were split up into three groups and each tackled a subject relating to the future of Rock Bay. Oh, did I mention Hoyne beer was on tap?

My only contribution was that future planning is futile without knowing the state of the contaminated soil that likely lays underneath. Tens of millions are being spent on the BC Hydro lands remediation and yet that still does not make the land suitable for residential development--only safe enough for commercial. Diverse residential is essential but it has to be practical to build. No developer will take a chance on a site if it turns out to be a chemical time bomb.
  • Mike K. likes this

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 07:00 AM

I only noticed it from Victorian Analysis' twitter feed, and only because she happened to be going.

Yeah, this sucks. My office is in that neighbourhood and I didn't hear a peep but would have liked to go. I must have missed VA's Twitter post regarding the meeting, she sends so many tweets sometimes that I can't keep up.

The City really dropped the ball here, IMO. Rob, how many people were in attendance, and what was the make-up of the group?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users