Rock Bay - the next master-planned development

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:03 PM

Yes, that’s my assumption. We’re also going to see a bigger push for studio, junior one and one bedroom units in the coming years. The change has already started where you have 80% of every condo geared towards single occupants or maybe maybe maybe a couple in a one-bedroom plus den. Jukebox is something like 90% geared towards studios and small ones.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:18 PM

Honestly it all comes down to where we draw the line for downtown Victoria.

If it’s downtown Victoria-proper+Harris Green+2km in every direction from City Hall then yes, absolutely there’s a good chance we’ll add 10,000 residents to that area within 15 years. But that’s not “downtown Victoria” as one would think of it today, and would include portions of seven other neighbourhoods. Now, mind you, last year (2017) when I referred to 1008 Pandora as a downtown Victoria project while chatting about development on CFAX, councillor Thornton-Joe called in to say the project was not downtown, it was in North Park. So I dunno...
  • VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#123 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

^Well, there's two things. 

The actual borders, that has a big impact on what is allowed, like that big project planned for Fort/Quadra, that's in Fairfield believe it or not. 

But if we're talking about "Greater Downtown" then the definition is a bit looser. It's more what "feels" like Downtown. I would call it as Truth Centre to the east, Railyards to the West and Bay Street to the north. Basically, a relatively easy walk to City Hall from any direction. 

Edited by Rob Randall, 02 January 2018 - 05:24 PM.

• jonny likes this

#124 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:43 PM

IMO downtown is anywhere there is pay parking, plus a couple of hundred meters. That’s it.

I think I know what Helps is doing. She is saying she’s sewn the seeds with her initiatives for a massive increase in the “downtown” population. She needs to include as far of an area as she possibly can to legitimize her claim, but if that’s what she needs to do then why not say so? She’s making the connection that bike lanes will be so successful and dependence on the automobile so unnecessary that 10,000 people will flock to what we imagine today as downtown, but she’s not mentioning downtown plus parts of Vic West+Fernwood+North Park+Fairfield+James Bay+Burnside.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#125 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

Where did this 10,000 number come from, anyway? Was it explicitly mentioned in the new Official Community Plan?

Where does most of what Helps says come from? She also said that the Province and the CRD have approved $60M in funding for her social programs. Is that true or a stretch?

She is playing to the broader audience in this case. She thinks that if the feds believe we will grow by 10,000 people and we already have half the population sleeping in cars then they will be forced to pay for more social housing.

#126 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:07 PM

Nah, I think the statement is targeted squarely at the business community.

We know for a fact businesses are PISSED about the bike lane construction. The statement that 10,000 residents will descend into downtown Victoria “in 10 OR 15 years” is a direct message to businesses.

The business community has wanted nothing to do with these bike lanes, the DVBA is in disarray, general discontent over an increase in petty crime and social disorder is growing and businesses are by and large blaming City Hall.

So the response? 10,000 new shoppers just steps from your shops!

Know it all.

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 06:17 PM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that that’s an attempt to diffuse extreme anger over the loss of parking.

“You’ve lost 1,500 parking spots over the last decade? I’ll give you 10,000 more nearby residents over the next decade!” That sort of thing.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#128 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 07:12 PM

Nah, I think the statement is targeted squarely at the business community.

We know for a fact businesses are PISSED about the bike lane construction. The statement that 10,000 residents will descend into downtown Victoria “in 10 OR 15 years” is a direct message to businesses.

The business community has wanted nothing to do with these bike lanes, the DVBA is in disarray, general discontent over an increase in petty crime and social disorder is growing and businesses are by and large blaming City Hall.

So the response? 10,000 new shoppers just steps from your shops!

You're forgetting who made the statement about 10,000 new people moving. At least half of those will be tenters/campers/homeless who will only be stealing from the businesses downtown, not buying from them.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#129 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:45 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention that that’s an attempt to diffuse extreme anger over the loss of parking.

“You’ve lost 1,500 parking spots over the last decade? I’ll give you 10,000 more nearby residents over the next decade!” That sort of thing.

You are assuming that business owners are dumb enough to believe her!

#130 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

You are assuming that business owners are dumb enough to believe her!

Some believed and financed her in 2014

Bard & Banker - $2,500

Irish Times - $2,500

Ralmax - $1,000

Railyards/Chris LeFevre - $6,000

#131 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:18 AM

Gene Miller mentioned the 10,000 in 20 years back in 2012:

On the very same day and at the very same hour that architect/urbanist Franc d’Ambrosio and I were giving a presentation to a hundred-strong UDI Victoria (Urban Development Institute) luncheon audience, including Victoria’s mayor, half of City council, numerous property owners, developers, architects and other professional stakeholders about the urgent need to turn Rock Bay at Downtown’s northern door into a great new mixed-use urban neighbourhood filled with residents and workers, Jim Hartshorne, currently president of the West Shore Developers Association and prime consultant on Westhills in Langford, was addressing an audience of commercial realtors at some other rubber chicken palace about the Westhills plan to build a total of 6000 homes and (I hope you’re sitting down) six million square feet of commercial space. If the details reached me accurately, it appears that the Stewarts, deep-pocketed developers of Westhills, are prepared to spec-build the first quarter-million square feet.

Well, doesn’t that make you want to slit your dainty Victorian wrists? If you’re having trouble getting your head around the number, six million square feet is about 2000 Pagliacci’s

The City has to stop thinking that a move from -5 to -3 is palliation worth cheering, and must figure out what a set of +5 policies would look like.

I don’t know how to say this more simply: Victoria needs 10,000-20,000 new people living and working in and near Downtown. That’s the goal; everything else should be the how. 

#132 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:25 AM

Bard & Banker - $2,500

Irish Times - $2,500

Ralmax - $1,000

True and ask them if they plan to believe her again! 

• Nparker likes this

#133 gstc84

gstc84
  • 521 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Bard & Banker - $2,500

Irish Times - $2,500

Ralmax - $1,000

Ralmax was spreading the love around equally at least - they also gave $1000 to Fortin and Chong. And the B&B / Irish Times folks gave over $18,000 to Ida Chong last election!  :eek:

#134 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

Bard & Banker - $2,500

Irish Times - $2,500

Ralmax - $1,000

That's the way it works, and they were all calling her once in office to get their donations back multiple times over

#135 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

That's the way it works.

Not any more it won't.

#136 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:09 AM

Never going to happen with the current rezoning/building permit approval process.
  • Nparker likes this

#137 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

Never going to happen with the current rezoning/building permit approval process.

I'm afraid you're right. Look at the nightmare the Northern Junk proposal has endured. Ironworks should have been a slam dunk, but has that even been approved?

#138 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:13 AM

Why is the current system a big political decision then that can go any way?  Why can't we just have politicians set policy, then we follow it?

For example, they set the water rate.  I can not then apply to council to pay 2/3 of the set rate, by asking for a variance.  I can't apply to have only 2/3 of my dogs licensed.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#139 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

I'm afraid you're right. Look at the nightmare the Northern Junk proposal has endured. Ironworks should have been a slam dunk, but has that even been approved?

Stovell only gave Helps $100.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#140 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

Here is the Rock Bay urban design plan created by Franc D'Ambrosio and Gene Miller, containing the full report and examples of possible density forms:

https://www.fdarc.ca...or-rock-bay.pdf

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

• jonny, rambaldi and Dr. Barillas like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users