Photo

Call if there is a problem - community action

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 09:55 PM

We recently got a dog (our son had been begging for 2 years), and now walk our part of Gordon Head at least 2 times a day. Over a period of 3 nights we noticed street lights going on and off at night on a block a fair way from our house (I know now this is called 'cycling' ). I assumed Saanich council would have a feedback system to note lights which are out, or a more local person would call for repair. I finally called to let the council know, and met the repair crew on a walk.

There is no feedback, or notification system - it is quite possible to implement, but deemed too costly.
Most calls come from the public - average time is 5 days. Police, ambulance, fire and sometimes taxis and bus call in - usually on main routes.
The higher the income in the neighbourhood, the longer the notification time, and the more irate the call - (anecdotal, but interesting)

We have a new understanding about how the council works, if you see something, call it in. Saanich was onto those lights the day after I called, and the crew was quite open, showing me the repair call map and asking about other lights on our 'dog walk' route - also explained how the lights work. Hats off to them.

I do feel both Victoria and Saanich need to do more in advertising this - community involvment will expose problems, and get faster council action.

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 10:21 PM

VEry interesting. I think most of us simply think "Oh I'm sure someone will take care of that" and assume they know about it, just are taking their time to fix it and we don't want to bother them telling them what they surely already know. I'll have to keep an eye open for things like this in the future and email the city when I see infrastructure that needs a little love.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

Just had another one. Walking the dog (what a great asset she is) and noticed the scaffolding around a new build house had been vandalized on Grandview Drive. We called Saanich police on the non-emerg line - they were very responsive.

Maybe we should group dog walkers and joggers in a forum by neighbourhood!

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:54 PM

Heheh the dogwalker/jogger neighbourhood patrol. I love it!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#5 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 07:18 AM

I've always said when you get out of a car and actually walk somewhere, you notice so much more. Usually it's little things, like unusual plants, beautiful trees, and such, but here are other examples. Here's to the dog patrol!

However, given today's darkness and rain (and it's only 8:17 a.m.!) I don't think our six-pound mutt Clover is interested in a walk right now.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

^ Sounds more like it would be kite flying at that weight :)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#7 Savannah

Savannah
  • 213 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 06:00 AM

^ Sounds more like it would be kite flying at that weight :)

Our winds weren't too bad yesterday, but trying to get the mutt out into the rain for a pee was a challenge. At six pounds, it's amazing how much will she, Princess Poo-Poo Head, can summon when the weather changes.

We have recently begun exploring some parts of Royal Roads U. that are dog-friendly to walk. But not this week! (Staying in and doing home improvement stuff.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users