David Foster Harbour Pathway | 2007 - ongoing

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#361 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:08 AM

Just name the new pool after Emily Carr.

• VicHockeyFan and Cassidy like this

#362 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

That makes sense, actually.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#363 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:15 AM

Perfect!

#364 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

I guess except the pool is not being built any time soon.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#365 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

And if it gets a new name expect something akin to the James Bay library.

#366 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 08 March 2018 - 01:05 PM

Emily Carpool

• Mike K., aastra, Nparker and 3 others like this

#367 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:08 PM

Emily Carpool

They could probably get some extra gas-tax funds this way.

• Jackerbie and Cassidy like this

#368 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 07:53 PM

Don't worry, Emily is not going anywhere.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#369 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

Why is this walkway called David foster way? A man who doesn’t live in Victoria and doesn’t really do much back here at all. Not sure i understand the cities obsession with him?
Surely a past mayor, prominent citizen (who lived here) or someone more relevant

#370 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:29 AM

Yup many have said it and I am not sure how the name was originally decided. Harbour Walkway is a significant improvement. The original design with all of the musical bits would have been a planning disaster of epic proportions.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#371 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

I think it was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing with Fortin.  There was no discussion or debate at council.  Anyway, whatever the name is is less important than how it's marketed.  I still see a LOT of tourists with the Mobi Maps or whatever they are, hopefully it's highlighted nicely there.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 11 March 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#372 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

I think Foster was fishing for a bit of recognition--around that time the Cedar Hill Rec music centre renaming fell though. Foster and his ex-wife once owned the five million-dollar suite at Shoal Point overlooking the trail.

#373 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:01 AM

I think it was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing with Fortin.  There was no discussion or debate at council.  Anyway, whatever the name is is less important than how it's marketed.  I still see a LOT of tourists with the Mobi Maps or whatever they are, hopefully it's highlighted nicely there.

Yup, it's simply labelled "Harbour Walkway" on the Mobi map: http://www.mobimaps....r_maps/victoria

#374 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 12 March 2018 - 02:55 PM

Why is this walkway called David foster way? 

I thought he made, or had made on his behalf, some sort of financial donation to the project long ago? 

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#375 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:03 PM

I thought he made, or had made on his behalf, some sort of financial donation to the project long ago? 

As a federal, provincial and CoV taxpayer I most certainly have made a financial contribution to this project. Will a section of it be named for me?

#376 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:06 PM

As a federal, provincial and CoV taxpayer I most certainly have made a financial contribution to this project. Will a section of it be named for me?

Sneak onto the work site after the concrete has been poured and it could be!

• Nparker likes this

#377 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

^ Personally, if you're going to shoot for anything, I'd vote for naming whatever plaza is built at the Northern Junk project after you NP. It could include a statue of you riding a whale made out of surfboards, giving the middle finger to the bridge.

• Nparker likes this

#378 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:33 AM

I seem to recall that Foster committed $10,000 to the walkway...not very substantial. The idea came from Michael Bublé, much beholden to Foster for his successful career. He bugged Mayor Fortin at the time. Fortin must have felt the pressure and was convinced that naming the walkway after our golden boy, would result in international attention. As the City struggles to complete the project, I sure can't see any great interest in the fact that Foster's name is attached to it.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#379 Mr.B

Mr.B
  • 139 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:41 AM

Be thankful a former local/quasi star has his name on the pathway and big corporate hasn't figured out a way to donate/market public infrastructure... 'Walmart Harbour Walkway' anyone?   

#380 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:57 AM

Be thankful a former local/quasi star has his name on the pathway and big corporate hasn't figured out a way to donate/market public infrastructure... 'Walmart Harbour Walkway' anyone?

Heck if a company wants to take the bill for the walkway off the tax payer's hands, I don't care what they call it.

Edited by Mattjvd, 13 March 2018 - 08:58 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users