David Foster Harbour Pathway | 2007 - ongoing

• Please log in to reply
398 replies to this topic

#81 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

IT'S GREEN SPACE...

I'm a bit surprised by that as well. As part of the Northern Junk debate, some people claimed that the Wharf Street traffic islands were vital & precious green space. But it's okay to want to pave over the venerable lawn of the legislature? (By the way, I'm pleased to see Mr. Ken Johnson expressing his disapproval of this aspect of the walkway plan in that TC article. At least he's consistent.)

But then again, it reminds me think of the lawn bowling club and how the city wanted to replace that bit of green with a paved space. Methinks somebody at some level is really keen on getting a large new square put in somewhere, one way or another.

#82 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think it's more a build it and they will come scenario. All it's faults aside, rebuilding the arena did bring more and bigger performers to Victoria.
There are more events staged in that location in front of the legislature than the Spalsh. The Ten K for instance.... Removing a lawn is hardly removing green space. Creating a public square here will perhaps make this public space more usable. There has been some good festivals in these zones and fixing up the hardscape that they integrate to can help better the experience of those events and help grow their success in a deeper way than a marketing campaign. A good venue will do better to attract promoters like Atomique than an offer to co-promote. An area they don't need much help with anyway.

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

If removing a large old lawn and replacing it with pavement does not constitute a removal of green space then I'm obviously going to need some guidance re: the terminology that we're using here.

#84 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:00 PM

Not if the pavers are green....
Anyway, it doesn't look like it is going to be "paved" like a parking lot. They are keeping it as public / open space and keeping the tree, and keeping a large area of lawn. They even mention other plantings going in so "vegetation" will be incorporated. So... even without green pavers it still might fall under the definition of greenspace.

#85 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:01 PM

^ Think "green place". :)

#86 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:05 PM

If removing a large old lawn and replacing it with pavement does not constitute a removal of green space then I'm obviously going to need some guidance re: the terminology that we're using here.

Is there not at least one massive old tree right next to Belleville St or is my memory giving out on me again? Trees are green space too, I believe.

I can see the benefits to reconfiguring Belleville St and the Leg lawn, but I think the more critical area is Ship's Point and the neighbouring parking lot. I like the idea of building a structure above the existing lot so that the existing parking space can be retained. The raised area could be a great spot for a pavilion or small ampitheatre.

#87 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm not sold on paving over the lawn either, but I don't see it as some sort of travesty. Most of the great public spaces in the world are in fact paved. The Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, Las Ramblas, Brussel's Grand Place, Times Square, Piccadilly, Trafalgar, etc.

Paved spaces hold up better in high foot traffic. They are much nicer when it has been raining (which happens here on occasion). If you want to create a public space it makes reasonable sense to me.

#88 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Paved spaces hold up better in high foot traffic. They are much nicer when it has been raining (which happens here on occasion). If you want to create a public space it makes reasonable sense to me.

I don't have a problem with paving the lawn per se, I just don't see the area in front of the legislature being the best place for a public square.

I think the Leg is good as is, and there are other areas that are in greater need of revitalization.

#89 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:11 PM

I don't have a problem with paving the lawn per se, I just don't see the area in front of the legislature being the best place for a public square.

I think the Leg is good as is, and there are other areas that are in greater need of revitalization.

agree with both points. if they do go this route, keep in mind they are only paving a small portion of the leg lawn. a huge lawn will remain and as is, this lawn isn't used much.

see my post on the previous page for my full thoughts.

#90 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

after a closer look at the legislature lawn thing it doesn't look like they're thinking of paving very much of it. it's really more like a widening of the sidewalk & blurring of the lines between the legislature lawn, sidewalks, belleville & the causeway. right now there's a clear separation, where pedestrian movement is (on paper) confined to the sidewalks, & narrow stairs down to the causeway, etc. the new rendering looks like there's obviously stramps replacing the current victoria sign & there will barely even be curbs on belleville, more like concrete barriers to delineate the roadway. & for that symphony splash that side of the causeway would become an amphitheatre-type area. basically the area from the legislature steps all the way to the water's edge would become a much more cohesive pedestrian zone. I think I see where they're going with that part. a street-level rendering would be good to see. I wonder how it would look from the water also; I can see the stramps sort of blending in with the legislature steps from a low angle, like from a boat on the harbour.

#91 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:22 AM

Given that the section they are talking about paving over has been a mud hole for months in recent winters and closed to public access for much of that time I see it as an improvement.

Remembrance Day ceremonies in particular are a confusing, uncomfortable mess. Creating the plaza would allow for better access to all and improve the ceremony immensely.

Overall this plan seems very interesting and a much-needed update to the whole Inner Harbour.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#92 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:18 AM

I agree with you dasmo. I too am excited about the prospects of a complete walkway from Rock Bay to Ogden Point. I'm sure some aspects of the plan will be tweaked before anything is done, but it is a great start.

And folks, please, it is Ship Point, with no "s" at the end.
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#93 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:28 AM

Right at the foot of Blanchard Street, if I'm not mistaken.

#94 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

My main issue is that if we are going to spend between 30 and 40 million dollars on something than we should solve the biggest issue with the harbour currently which is the parking lots along Wharf Street. These rendering show all these changes and yet all the parking lots remain. How can the city really say that this plan is how it should be done? Is this at city hall tonight?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#95 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 01:56 PM

Instead of removing lawn, how about a "floating plaza" in front of the Empress?

The existing docks could be moved slightly to the west to utilize an area that is rarely used. You could easily fit a 30m X 80m area of concrete decked floats into that space.

#96 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:29 PM

Instead of removing lawn, how about a "floating plaza" in front of the Empress?

The existing docks could be moved slightly to the west to utilize an area that is rarely used. You could easily fit a 30m X 80m area of concrete decked floats into that space.

agree. there is a lot of space on the water.

again though, priorities should be the two parking lots, then the coho area of the harbour.

#97 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

If you combine this plan with the Belleville plan and the dormant Crystal Court motel landscaping plan that linked up the Legislative district with the St. Ann's property, you've got nice comprehensive pedestrian plan.

The parking lots are provincial, right? The City of Victoria isn't driving the bus on that issue.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#98 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

No I think that one is CoV and one is PCC. And even if they are both PCC than what would make it any more difficult to get them to budge on their use than the Ledge Lawn?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#99 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

If there's a spare $40 Million in the kitty, wouldn't it be best used to pay off the JSB debt, before embarking on 'nice to have' projects?
Or, will our kids pay for it all anyway, so it's not our problem?
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

Davids Foster himself is kicking in $50,000 toward the continued development of the walkway bearing his name.

http://vancouverisla...aylistPageNum=1
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users