• Please log in to reply
396 replies to this topic

#381 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

I had a feeling that Reflections was going to be a bit problematic.

What's your source for the sinking issue?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#382 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Are the problems related to combining concrete and wood-frame construction?

#383 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:11 PM

I had a feeling that Reflections was going to be a bit problematic.

What's your source for the sinking issue?

Several contractors who worked on the project. Its well known in the construction industry that its sinking

#384 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:29 PM

Interesting. Did they build it on a swamp or something?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#385 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:04 AM

No, but the architects apparently came out of one. :P

#386 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:00 AM

Does anyone have pictures of the damage?

#387 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

Does anyone have pictures of the damage?

#388 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

No helicopter required in this case. Somebody just needs to walk by and take a few pics.

#389 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

I go by there fairly often and I see no evidence of sinking. Maybe some minor settling, but if there were indeed the serious problems alluded to I would think there would be some major remediation work going on.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#390 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

^ I walk around it frequently and have seen the same as you....absolutely nothing.

#391 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

I thought that it goes without saying that settling issues big enough to cause problems aren't necessarily visible with a casual glance at the outside of the building.

And don't assume that when a major problem crops up the owners leap to address it. A recent Globe story uncovered a large Toronto condo building quickly becoming uninhabitable due to absentee owners refusing to authorize funds necessary for remediation.

Now, I'm sure the Reflections owners are more responsible, however, as a new condo, their contingency fund is probably still too small to cover extensive remediation. Anyway, it would takes many months or even years to uncover the extent of any problems, gather tenders etc.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#392 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

Wouldn't any necessary work be the responsibility of the builder?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#393 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:27 PM

...it goes without saying that settling issues big enough to cause problems aren't necessarily visible with a casual glance at the outside of the building.

Fair enough, but does that jive with the following?

They have had extensive problems already and continue trying to mask the problem.

Maybe it does and I'm just not understanding the terminology...

#394 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:13 PM

Wouldn't any necessary work be the responsibility of the builder?

I would think, if it were reported within two years. Either that, or the warranty provider.

#395 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

Still no pool!

I was up on the roof about 8 months ago and the pool is there. Apparently they are/were having troubles with the stainless steel 'surround panels'.
Apparently they are rusting.

#396 snaptee

snaptee
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:32 AM

The pool was opened just in time to cool off residents for the blistering September heat. It's sure to be a hit come May 1 when it opens again. There are plans to have a volleyball tournament. At 16' x 7', the matches are sure to be exciting!

#397 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:59 AM

heh I posted this here 4 years ago

"The outside of the building is nearing completion. I think this building is a good addition to Langford though the construction looks cheap from what I can tell and I'm not sure it will be the lasting building it originally appeared to be. The very closest surrounding area is pretty rundown and obviously quite poor/young people live in the nearby houses so either this will clean up the area or it will conform to it's surroundings."

Naturally my point was argued. Some of the newer buildings in Langford are architecturally well designed but almost all of them fail when it comes to finishing quality. The Granderson is another one. I like the design of the building but the actual finishing is poor. The brick, cement board, aluminum, twig like roof supports just look thrown together.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)