ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

progress 01 2008

#82 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:41 PM

Thank you for the picture ressen. All of a sudden this has gone from a hole in the ground to the tallest structure outside of the core.

Despite its major mistakes (Bear Mountain) and its seeming lack of an OCP, I have to admire Langford for having the courage to allow real change to take place within its boundaries. I think there is a lesson to be learned here by a few other municipalities in the CRD. Change can in fact be good.

Am I crazy to be excited to see what new development gets approved in the West Shore, while Victoria argues endlessly over every proposal over 3 metres in height? Even when those arguments don't give us better finished projects (The Wave, SoFMC,all of the Songhees pre-Shutters etc.)?

#83 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

I'd have to think the Pier in Sidney is taller.

By the way, great slideshow of the Pier here: http://www.thepier.c...show/index.html

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:21 AM

Bear Mountain's Finlayson Reach would be taller than the Pier.

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

I'd have to think the Pier in Sidney is taller.

I thought of that after my post. Maybe it's just that Reflections is more dramatic for its location.

OK, so Reflections doesn't come close to Finlayson Reach, but I think the comparison shows that location makes a huge difference to a building's impact. FR seems to blend in more on Bear Mountain (not sure that is necessarily a good thing), but Reflections really jumps out at you on Millstream (Veterans' Memorial Prkwy). Maybe in time more projects near Reflections will make it seem non-descript, but at the moment I find it quite stunning.

#86 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:22 AM

In the pictures they used to sell this place, it was unclear if the building was going to be 6 or 7 stories but I can assure you now it is 6, so change the title please.

#87 RockFormation

RockFormation
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

Does anyone have any updated pics on the construction progress (especially the tower). Thanks for the previous pics. I currently live in Edmonton so it's a little difficult to pop on by to check it out.

Thanks a lot.:cool:

#88 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:01 AM

There's a picture here that was uploaded on March 14, 2008:

http://flickr.com/ph...N00/2333411179/

#89 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:17 PM

The outside of the building is nearing completion. I think this building is a good addition to Langford though the construction looks cheap from what I can tell and I'm not sure it will be the lasting building it originally appeared to be. The very closest surrounding area is pretty rundown and obviously quite poor/young people live in the nearby houses so either this will clean up the area or it will conform to it's surroundings.

I'll think about taking some current pictures soon.

#90 RockFormation

RockFormation
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the link.

The houses across the main street(in front of the buildng) looked pretty nice, it was the ones behind the building that we older, but I would not say rundown.

The people who bought suites knew whether they were buying the wood or concrete framing (or should have asked) so I don't beleive that there were any suprises in quality. I bought in the tower, which is concrete, and I am glad I did. Sound proofing is important.

I can't wait to move in. Although there's still a long wait ahead.

Thanks for the pics. All up to date ones are very much appreciated.

#91 skaalster

skaalster
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

Rock formation, thanks for setting it straight about the area and the "quality" of the construction, I am a owner as well in the tower. I may be biased with my opinion but I see no lack of quality anywhere. I have put on my hardhat and boots and toured the building, been on the roof and it is progressing very well. Not sure how to post piks here but I take a walk around everyday and have got many photos of the construction inside and out. As you I am pretty stoked about moving in, been a long wait but it will be well worth it.
Cheers -Dan

#92 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

Well post them dammit!:)

#93 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

I don't like the wood framed part trying to look like a steel and concrete building.

#94 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:49 PM

The jury is still out on this one for me. I am just not sure what to make of the design, the location, and the mix of wood-frame and concrete construction is still a puzzle for me. I will however reserve judgement until it is complete, but I have a feeling Reflections may always be an anachronism for me.

#95 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

, and the mix of wood-frame and concrete construction is still a puzzle for me. I.

Anything over 4 stories requires concrete construction, so the "tower" portion had to be concrete. The 4 storey part will be less expensive, making ownership available to a wider spectrum.

I like the look of the building but apparently the interior is broken up with support columns a little too much.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#96 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

I just can't get over the fact that their advertising campaign focuses on a woman by a pool in a bathing suit. There's no swimming pool in this complex. There's only a "reflections" pool, or as some would call, a water fountain.

#97 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

I just can't get over the fact that their advertising campaign focuses on a woman by a pool in a bathing suit. There's no swimming pool in this complex. There's only a "reflexions" pool, or as some would call, a water fountain.

That's marketing for you. There seem to be a lot of developments/subdivisions lately using names like "River", "Park", "Farm", etc in the name. One example that really made me laugh was the area around the Pat Bay/McKenzie. It's something 'FARM' and they use to have a website that went in to details how it use to be a heritage farm with 100 years or so of history and now it's a subdivision. I wish the website was still around because I was amazing that they would use it as part of their campaign. I think I'm going to start saving up so in about 10 years I can create "The Ross Bay Cemetery Estates" built on top of an old graveyard.

#98 RockFormation

RockFormation
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hey, thanks for the udated pics. Much appreciated. I guess the girl by the pool is Angelina Jolie visiting our rooftop lap pool. Didn't you know, she bought the penthouse :D

#99 RockFormation

RockFormation
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:29 AM

Hello,
Has anyone got any new pics of the development? Thanks.

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

Went by there just a little while ago and nothing much has changed on the exterior. Most internal work is going on now, I think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users