Photo

November 11

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 LJ

LJ
  • 8,929 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:25 PM

Can anyone tell me what the route for the parade to the Cenotaph for the Remembrance Day ceremony takes?

I assume the Cenotaph is at the front of the leg bldg. - yes?

Thanks

#2 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 558 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:05 AM

Can anyone tell me what the route for the parade to the Cenotaph for the Remembrance Day ceremony takes?

I assume the Cenotaph is at the front of the leg bldg. - yes?

Thanks

Yes, for the red poppy/veteran remembrance group, the Cenotaph in front of the Legislative Buildings at Belleville/Government for Victoria City (a short distance away at Menzies above Belleville will be the White Poppy group). Some other municipalities have other sites. Sorry, I do not know the route being used in Victoria other than it travels south along Government or more likely Douglas Street (perhaps it originates at City Hall?).

http://www.timescolo...-peace-1.684957

http://www.timescolo...r-dead-1.686053

White poppies will be distributed for free between noon and 1 p.m. Thursday beside Victoria city hall during the Victoria Women in Black Vigil, a silent ceremony opposing war and violence.

jbw

#3 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 08:25 AM

Some other municipalities have other sites. Sorry, I do not know the route being used in Victoria other than it travels south along Government or more likely Douglas Street (perhaps it originates at City Hall?).

Let me help you out JBW your "guesses" about this are a little innacurate

First of all ...All communities in this country have cenotaphs of one sort or another so yes (you are correct that they have other sites) they have other sites and do not all come to use the one on Belville st.

Your second comment on the route is not close at all .

Everyone gathers at Belville- Government on their own steam. After the ceremony they march north on Government then disperse.
They do not march to the cenotaph an dthere is no gathering at City Hall and they do not march on Douglas st.

If you need any further info on James Bay or James Bay events please feel free to ask.

Here is a video I made of the Nov 11 at the Victoria Cenotaph it should give the facts you are asking for

OgXEEZiuLHY

p.s. Oh sorry there is no p.s. everything I had to say is in teh body of my message

#4 tedward

tedward
  • 1,879 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:13 AM

They do not march to the cenotaph an dthere is no gathering at City Hall and they do not march on Douglas st.

Wow, for a nitpicker you sure have screwed the pooch here.

Not quite sure who which "they" you are referring to but there is a short march to the cenotaph by military units and veterans. It forms up, if memory serves, along Wharf Street and down Humboldt St beside the Empress. On the return I believe that the Canadian Scottish march to Pioneer Square for their own ceremony at their own cenotaph. Afterwards I understand they march to the Bay Street Armouries. Whether they simply cross Douglas or march along it for any length I do not know.

In any case there is indeed a "march to the cenotaph".

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#5 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:49 AM

my oldest was a air cadet for 5 years so I witnessed a few of the ceremonies. we always settled by the big tree in front of the Leg so our youngest could climb it whilst we watched. The gang certainly were marching as they approached the street in front of the leg and they marched back out again after. from where and to where not too sure but no chopper dropped them in that is for sure.
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#6 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 558 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

... from where and to where not too sure but no chopper dropped them in that is for sure.

Did you watch the Harbour? (maybe they came in by submarine)

jbw

#7 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 473 posts
  • LocationWork Downtown, Live in E-Town

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:35 PM

If you're in or near Esquimalt, the parade starts at the Legion on Admirals Rd then to Memorial Park opposite the Town Hall. only 0.3km
There's a Tim's on the route, so come early and grab your hot beverage

#8 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 01:12 PM

Free Parking on Monday, November 11 for Remembrance Day

Parking will be free at on-street meters and at City parkades on Monday, November 11 for Remembrance Day in addition to Sunday, November 10. Pay parking at City surface parking lots is in effect 24/7.

The improvements to Pioneer Square are anticipated to be completed by the end of 2013. The work will be scheduled in such a way to enable Remembrance Day ceremonies at the park's cenotaph to take place.

http://www.victoria....dar/112013.html

#9 James Bay walker

James Bay walker

CustomUserTitle

• 558 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Son of gun, we've now got 15 "civic holidays" per year (was checking on free parkade days, Sundays and civic holidays).

http://www.victoria....g/holidays.html

jbw

ps. 'Family Day' February 10th, that seems new (don't remember that one), and why is it in fainter print, I wonder? Maybe it's brand new and wasn't around in 2013 for this 2013/2014 summary webpage.

#10 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

Because it is not a true holiday it is BC civic only Federal workers still need to go to work that day

It was Chrustys way of buying votes and screwing over business owners who are forced to pay stat pay for their workers.

A bucnch of whiners lobbied the fiberals claiming it was causing them undue hardship because they had no free paid days between NY day and Good Friday

Let me know if I am nitpicking on this one.

#11 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

Wow, for a nitpicker you sure have screwed the pooch here.

Not quite sure who which "they" you are referring to but there is a short march to the cenotaph by military units and veterans. It forms up, if memory serves, along Wharf Street and down Humboldt St beside the Empress. On the return I believe that the Canadian Scottish march to Pioneer Square for their own ceremony at their own cenotaph. Afterwards I understand they march to the Bay Street Armouries. Whether they simply cross Douglas or march along it for any length I do not know.

In any case there is indeed a "march to the cenotaph".

Ok well here you go I slowed the video down to 1 frame per second so that even with yoru glasses on you will see there is no march to the cenotaph from Wharf from Government nor from Douglas and As I said in the previous they march up Government and disperse at their DND buses which are parked at ships point dock..

I suppose when you dont expect someone to have video evidence a person can claim anything they want.

ua9al5hbbp0

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:08 PM

Because it is not a true holiday it is BC civic only Federal workers still need to go to work that day

It was Chrustys way of buying votes and screwing over business owners who are forced to pay stat pay for their workers.

A bucnch of whiners lobbied the fiberals claiming it was causing them undue hardship because they had no free paid days between NY day and Good Friday

Let me know if I am nitpicking on this one.

Nope, this sounds correct.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:01 PM

Remembrance Day Parade

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvkKinJhbs

#14 tedward

tedward
  • 1,879 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:14 PM

Ok well here you go I slowed the video down to 1 frame per second so that even with yoru glasses on you will see there is no march to the cenotaph from Wharf from Government nor from Douglas and As I said in the previous they march up Government and disperse at their DND buses which are parked at ships point dock..

I suppose when you dont expect someone to have video evidence a person can claim anything they want.

ua9al5hbbp0

Interesting because I clearly see the marching formations when I freeze your little edited video at both the 5 and 19 second marks. Must be nice to simply ignore reality and manufacture "evidence".

Oh, and as some pedant reminded me a few days ago, it is "ship point".

:judge:

#15 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:24 PM

Excellent Detective work son.

I suggest you apply for a job at the Times Colonist as a reporter

Wow a marching formation is a lot different than a parade down Douglas street or from City Hall neither of which is taking place in this 2012 event pictured. See you have lost touch with the original question about a parade to the cenotaph from somewhere else in the city which is what the OP asked about
So although your great work has revealed a formation it does not show a parade coming from City Hall or from Douglas St.
Nice attempt though I give you a 1 out of 10 for accuracy.

No parade to the cenotaph is visible unless of course you dig up a video from years ago like Bingo did

Oh and there is more than one ship there in the photos so I made it plural

Carry on

#16 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:16 PM

Lots of banter...but let's remember what November 11th is about.

#17 tedward

tedward
  • 1,879 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

Wow a marching formation is a lot different than a parade down Douglas street or from City Hall neither of which is taking place in this 2012 event pictured.

Are you ****ing kidding me?

You asserted that no parade of any type takes place during Remembrance Day ceremonies.

You have been proven incorrect in that assertion.

Admit your mistake and move on like an adult.

#18 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

Your second comment on the route is not close at all .

Everyone gathers at Belville- Government on their own steam. After the ceremony they march north on Government then disperse.
They do not march to the cenotaph and there is no gathering at City Hall and they do not march on Douglas st.

You are a real piece of work.
If you are going to paraphrase me I suggest you look at what I wrote instead of grasping in the air at what you think I said.
Here I have helped you out with a quote from my first comment on the subject.
No where did I "assert that no parade of any type takes place during Remembrance Day ceremonies."

Rather I said the parade went up Government after the Ceremony.

So take your own ill advised suggestion and "Admit your mistake and move on like an adult. "

I am done on the subject before the mods get all ruffled. I will however read your response because it is obvious that you require the last word.

Good Day to you.:wave:

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,677 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 04:04 PM

Gentlemen, please :)

We'll have to ask everyone to cool their jets, please.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#20 LJ

LJ
  • 8,929 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

Geez, I regret starting this thread.....6 years ago!
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users