Photo

Monkey Tree Pub

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:47 PM

a friend just called to cancel plans to go to the Monkey Tree Pub tonight, apparently there is a sign on the door saying "closed due to technical problems", or words to that effect. any idea why they're not open?

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:54 PM

Could be technical problems.

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:05 PM

yeah that's what I was going to say. It was closed due to technical difficulties.

#4 larrobb

larrobb
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:44 PM

since 'technical problems' in this business range from suspension due to over serving to health hazards, i thought i'd pose the question. but nice deflections, the Monkey Tree has trained its followers well! and here i thought it was just due to something like a water problem.

#5 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:55 PM

it could have been anything from staff problems to a kitchen fire to health/safety/rat issues. It didn't look like there was a fire but it still could have been many things.

#6 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 12:03 PM

Wormhole?

#7 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

The Monkey Tree is on fire--McKenzie is blocked off while fire crews deal with it. It apparently started just prior to noon.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,161 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

So it'll definitely be closed tonight.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:26 PM

Looks like the fire was contained to the roof above the patio. The sign is ruined. They don't figure it started in the kitchen. Possibly a transformer.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#10 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:35 PM

since 'technical problems' in this business range from suspension due to over serving to health hazards, i thought i'd pose the question. but nice deflections, the Monkey Tree has trained its followers well! and here i thought it was just due to something like a water problem.

Well...technically, fire is a problem.

If it's a water problem, it's likely because there wasn't enough (QUICK...SAVE THE BEER!!) to put out a fire.

#11 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 02:31 PM

I only recently found out that Gord Card died a few months back. Strange. He was the owner.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 09:54 PM

Fire at Monkey Tree Pub causes $200,000 damage.

Fire officials say the cause of the blaze - estimated to have caused $200,000 in damage - is still under investigation. One theory is that a cigarette was tossed into a cedar hedge that quickly burned and spread the fire to the pub building.

"What I can tell you is that it was an extreme fire that spread quickly through the soffits and to the external building ... Once the hedges got going, they went up fast, really fast," said Saanich assistant fire chief Todd Cave.

#13 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:00 AM

^ wouldn't it be ironic if the cigarette was tossed into the hedges by a smoker who wasn't able to smoke on or too near the premises under the new rules?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,393 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 09:28 AM

Wouldn't it be ironic if the cigarette was tossed into the hedges by a smoker who wasn't able to smoke on or too near the premises under the new rules?

Ironic yes, forgivable no. I fail to understand why smokers feel the whole world is their ashtray. I have had to dodge carelessly tossed cigarettes, while walking down the sidewalk, on the street (when tossed out of car windows) and in all manner of other places such as public parks etc. I'd love to see smoking fines extended to cover everyone who doesn't properly extinguish and dispose of their cancer sticks in a trash can or similar place.
  • On the Level likes this

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,161 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:16 AM

Given the amount of times you've dodged cigarettes, have you ever considered that people might be throwing them at you?

;)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,393 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:52 AM

Given the amount of times you've dodged cigarettes, have you ever considered that people might be throwing them at you? ;)

Perhaps, but they are lucky the government has yet to enact my "no health care services for smokers" plan...yet.:cool:

#17 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

^ wouldn't it be ironic if the cigarette was tossed into the hedges by a smoker who wasn't able to smoke on or too near the premises under the new rules?

I can think of something more ironic.... :P

#18 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:28 AM

Perhaps, but they are lucky the government has yet to enact my "no health care services for smokers" plan...yet.:cool:

I think the governement has it tabled right after "No health care for fat people" act.

Just a small word of advice...as you're hopping around downtown trying to avoid the cigarette butts flying at you, try to be carefull you don't bounce over one and accidently land on a needle. I know they aren't as bad as cigarette butts, but be careful just the same.

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,393 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

When needles are as proliferate as cigarette butts on the streets, and the cost to society from IV drug usage is equal to that of tobacco usage, then I will concede to your point. Just because a highly addictive, deadly substance is legal doesn't make it morally superior to illegal substances .

#20 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

Monkey Tree Pub has finally updated their signage, looks much more urban and less... well... tacky. Now if they'd paint the exterior of their building a more urban colour, I imagine it's get people to go in and see if things have changed.

I drive by it twice a day, every weekday and have never set foot in it. And it's technically my 'neighbourhood pub' I suppose. Don't know if it's even kid-friendly. It's such an odd location and entrance!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users