#721 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 02:03 PM

Incredible views from that perch!

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#722 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

RJAG and I used to have a great friend who owned a split level condo just slightly east along Esquimalt Road from that location with a stunning view of the harbour, Laurel and Ogden Points from the rooftop deck that ran along the entire breadth of the building. That area is seriously underrated in terms of 'view', providing some of the very best water vistas anywhere in the city core....

• Nparker likes this

#723 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

I hope they can put some nice commercial space in. Those old buildings actually give that area it's urban feel.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#724 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:18 PM

Saw the other day something is finally under construction at 3959 Shelbourne Street.  (Shelbourne frontage of Tuscany Village).  My apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere.  I did find the other cancelled project thread that is now locked.

Anybody got intel on what it's going to be?

#725 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:33 PM

I thought I heard that Abstract had a project right about there.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#726 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

^This is the thread for the cancelled version. Not sure what the new proposal is.

http://vibrantvictor...etail-canceled/

#727 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

Saw the other day something is finally under construction at 3959 Shelbourne Street.  (Shelbourne frontage of Tuscany Village).  My apologies if this has already been mentioned elsewhere.  I did find the other cancelled project thread that is now locked.

Anybody got intel on what it's going to be?

It's a CIBC. http://victoria.citi...anich-location/

#728 Dinya

Dinya
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

So they're moving from across the street then? Wonder what's going to happen to the old building next to JJ Morgan's?

#729 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

^Interesting proposition, the site is large and JJ Morgan's demographic does not have a strong future outlook.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#730 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

What a poor use of the land in this location. It seems odd that a new bank branch couldn't have been located in a more substantial structure. I would have thought the property was too valuable for a one-storey building.

• jonny and Kungsberg like this

#731 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:54 PM

Future CIBC site:

b4nqSRC.jpg

#732 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

What a poor use of the land in this location. It seems odd that a new bank branch couldn't have been located in a more substantial structure. I would have thought the property was too valuable for a one-storey building.

Totally agree. Nice enough building for a stand-alone bank branch, but what happened to the idea of greater density along the Shelbourne corridor? This is such a great area for walkability - near UVIC, grocery and services, buses, and a soon-to-be-improved bike corridor.   It's a shame this was not a proposal for some additional height for condo or rentals above.  (And their design calls for half the lot going to surface parking.)

http://www.saanich.c...ordon-head.html

Attached Images

• CIBC1.jpg
  • CIBC2.jpg
  • CIBC3.jpg

• Nparker and jonny like this

#733 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:02 PM

And it's really ugly too.

#734 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:12 AM

Isn't this the second new CIBC being built along that corridor now? There is one on Cedar Hill X too.

#735 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:02 AM

^ Nope, maybe you're thinking of VanCity? There is a CIBC in Hillside mall. Are people still going to be visiting bank locations in 10 or 20 years? How are they going to pay this thing off? I haven't stepped foot in a bank in years.

Seems like a shortsighted plan for Shelbourne. Long live the strip mall!

• Nparker likes this

#736 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,338 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Oh, could be VanCity. 

#737 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

The new condo project on boleskine has fencing a signage up. Lots of activity

#738 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

Ah, right. That one has been converted into a rental building. Citified profile: http://victoria.citi...e-road-saanich/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#739 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:27 PM

^ Nope, maybe you're thinking of VanCity? There is a CIBC in Hillside mall. Are people still going to be visiting bank locations in 10 or 20 years? How are they going to pay this thing off? I haven't stepped foot in a bank in years.

Seems like a shortsighted plan for Shelbourne. Long live the strip mall!

Difficult to project 10 never mind 20 years out, but the short answer is a definite "yes" to the continued viability of physical bank branches for a variety of reasons, not the least of which (both here and in the US) internal customer surveys consistently indicate 80-85% of customers want and expect that retail channel as an option for whatever financial entity they utilize.

More critically - and I totally concur having spent 5 years in the financial services sector - those same surveys show quite plainly that branches continue to be critical in the pursuit of new customers and for doing additional business with existing ones, including millennials.

Above all, and my old institution heard this time and time again as did the competition: the most powerful force that will keep physical branches alive and well for many years to come is the instinctual human desire to meet the people to whom they are entrusting with their money. Although this may well change in the extended future its quite clear currently that there is no technological substitute for the trust building that occurs when you can meet with someone face to face and shake his or her hand. That personal connection or 'touch' is a major - and very powerful - trigger that credit unions in particular continue to use effectively to differentiate themselves from the "Big (impersonal) Banks"...

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#740 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:39 AM

^ Maybe I'm just not at a point in my life where I need to use the services my bank offers, but I can count on one hand how many times I have been to a physical branch to speak with a person in the last ten years. One of those times was to close an account at RBC, one to open a new account at Scotia, and then twice to withdrawn currency that wasn't available at the ATM.

In fact, there's a new "branch" of CIBC here in Richmond that doesn't even have bank tellers, just ATMs, a couple financial advisors, and staff who can help you set up online banking.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users