Non-City of Victoria projects with no threads

• Please log in to reply
1440 replies to this topic

#941 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:55 PM

The only reference I could find to the OB United Church proposal was this thread so here is where I will vent on those sniveling, whining crybabies in OB who oppose this development; my favorite comment comes from one Diana Butler, ex-mayor of "Ye Olde Musty Stick in the Mud & Crappy Clone of the Blighty of Yore", aka Oak Bay.

Referring to the fact many homes in the immediate area sport signs in opposition - big surprise, its Oak Bay after all - she actually has the temerity to drone on about sympathizing with the plight of young families and seniors and the high cost of housing in the area -yada, yada, blah, blah, blah, blah - and that she and her ilk are "sympathetic to that" <yeah....sure you are lady...in a pig's eye....> but the proposed apartment block would according to her via the article "set a precedent, causing a domino effect on the street, possibly spurring other similar developments...." - 

Yep....just imagine that: more FOUR story buildings. What a burden! And in Oak Bay no less guvnor'....! I can hear the cries from the barricades now.....

"...My_GOD Margie - DEVELOPMENT!?!?!?!? RENTAL HOUSING????!?!?!?! Here?! In OAK BAY??????? In the 21st Century?!?! Well_I_NEVER......!! The Horror, the Horror....!!!!!!

https://www.cbc.ca/n...k-bay-1.5030855

**The best part of the article is in the Comments section where certain stuffy stuck up OB prigs actually defend their sentiments on the issue. The entire lot of them should be put in a position where at some point when they are older and in failing health that they lose their precious cushy baronial manors behind the Tweed Curtain and have to wind up in a crappy RV park somewhere between Armpit and Bumstuffer BC; perhaps then they might learn the meaning of terms like empathy, compassion, kindness and humility. Not to mention plain old fashioned good neighborliness. What a bunch of pencil neck putzes.....

• Nparker and grantpalin like this

#942 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:10 PM

NIMBYs always profess sympathy for the plight of young families, seniors and the high cost of housing; it's just there is always someplace better for these sorts of  projects than their neighbourhoods.

#943 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:29 AM

In reality though, where else in Oak Bay would rental housing be better suited than one block away from the 2, 3, 7, and 8 bus routes, future protected bike lanes along Oak Bay Ave, and an incredibly short walking distance to Oak Bay Village?

Really, where do they think rental housing should go in Oak Bay? Or do they not really believe that Oak Bay should contribute in any way to providing homes in a time when they're desperately needed? 

Edited by Brantastic, 27 February 2019 - 08:30 AM.

• newbie_01 likes this

#944 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:43 AM

...Really, where do they think rental housing should go in Oak Bay? Or do they not really believe that Oak Bay should contribute in any way to providing homes in a time when they're desperately needed? 

If the opponents were being truly honest, I think they'd have to admit they don't think "affordable" housing is suitable for Oak Bay.

#945 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 19 March 2019 - 09:04 AM

This was approved in council meeting yesterday March 18

• Mike K. likes this

#946 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 10:02 AM

https://nanaimonewsn...el-st-high-rise

Development permit issued for Nanaimo's 24 storey Marcielo tower

#947 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

Construction-start-nears-for-Sooke's-SEAPARC-Leisure-Complex-fitness-gym.jpg

An artist's rendering of a $3.4 million addition to Sooke's SEAPARC Leisure Complex on Phillips Road. The 5,150 square foot addition will include a new gym to the Westshore community, together with a movement room and a child care space.

Construction start nears for Sooke's SEAPARC Leisure Complex fitness gym addition

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#948 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:16 PM

So, a "local residents association" (Friends Of The No) is concerned that high density development will increase (traffic) and/or decrease (parking) things.

https://www.vicnews....ake-apartments/

This is almost obligatory isn't it?

First you densify, then you suffer, then you improve the roads bus system.  Isn't that the order of things?

I guess that Six Mile Road community consultation is coming up soon...

#949 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,678 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:27 PM

So, a "local residents association" (Friends Of The No) is concerned that high density development will increase (traffic) and/or decrease (parking)....

On the plus side these sort of articles can be written by the local media in their sleep.

#950 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:51 PM

"thus shifting the pressure of private development onto publicly-funded infrastructure.”*

*This is not an issue when using that publically funded infrastructure for the additional parking for illegal suites.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#951 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,860 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:39 AM

“If Limona does not include adequate parking at their development, you can be assured that the overflow will spill into the Thetis Lake lots, which are free from October 1 to April 30, thus shifting the pressure of private development onto publicly-funded infrastructure.”

the free parking is easy to fix.

#952 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 11:50 AM

"far from town centre"? Its about as central to everything as it gets in our region. This would be the literal centre of town in my opinion.
They have a point about all the building on a single corridor, so fine open up some of the ALR, assorted protected land all around the area. But that will never happen therefore we build on a tiny strip of highway

#953 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

"far from town centre"? Its about as central to everything as it gets in our region. This would be the literal centre of town in my opinion.
They have a point about all the building on a single corridor, so fine open up some of the ALR, assorted protected land all around the area. But that will never happen therefore we build on a tiny strip of highway

They probably mean it's not walkable.  But with some bike racks and a car share, or if the Thetis Lake parking lot had a bus stop then it'd be fine.

Isn't it odd that no bus goes directly into Thetis Lake?  I guess that's another thread...

#954 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

Isn't it odd that no bus goes directly into Thetis Lake?  I guess that's another thread...

one does in summer.

#955 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 30 April 2019 - 09:30 PM

one does in summer.

Which one is that?

#956 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,860 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 02:56 AM

bus to theirs

https://www.timescol...anges-1.1134004

#957 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2019 - 10:42 AM

^ Ah, the little 53 diverts up there in the summer (at least it did 5 years ago).  Well if that was a regular thing then the Thetis Apartments would be better served and might take some pressure off the parking.

If these are supposed to be below-market or near-market pricing does that suggest the likely occupants might be less likely to have a motor vehicle expenditure as well?

#958 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 06:41 PM

Apologies if this was mentioned elsewhere (I couldn't find it on a search), but Abstract is now marketing their Avery Lane Townhouse development, which is just inside the boundary for the District of Saanich.  They also have units up on MLS now.

See:  https://abstractdeve...nts/avery-lane/

#959 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

Speaking of Abstract, I don't think there has been any mention of their Quadra@Palmer project. Replaces single-family homes at 3839, 3851, and 3861 Quadra Street. 6 storeys, 78 strata apartments, underground parking. They'll go through hell over the height I imagine, as the older apartments in the vicinity are 4-5 storeys. The drawings are here: https://www.saanich....jan3119elev.pdf

Capture.PNG

• Kapten Kapsell and Nparker like this

#960 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

^ The other thing they'll get hell for: architectural style. Saanich will want something with a different character than what Abstract builds in Victoria proper. The project as proposed, though nice, would be more at home near Mayfair or on Pandora.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users