Photo

Non-City of Victoria projects with no threads

• Please log in to reply
1440 replies to this topic

#981 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:24 AM

Proposal for three 12 storey buildings in downtown Langford....

Let's hope this rendering is very preliminary and that the pitched roof concept is nixed before construction begins.

a1-langford-highrise-00-jpg.jpg

• 2F2R likes this

#982 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

^ The pitched roofs evoke the single-family character of the neighbourhood, though [/sarcasm]

• Rob Randall and Nparker like this

#983 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:26 AM

I don't mind the pitched roofs, but certainly not with what looks like plywood in that rendering. Change the style/crown.

• sebberry likes this

#984 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:38 AM

Can't say it's not different..

#985 PPPdev

PPPdev
  • 393 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

:whyme:

#986 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:12 AM

Maybe if the roof was also made of glass it would match better.

• Matt R. likes this

#987 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 08:20 AM

Luckily this is just the rezoning application. A Development Permit is required for each of the proposed towers

#988 snub

snub

Reflecting

• 442 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:03 PM

Chek 6 news did a short blurb on this project last night. Could have sworn I heard them say it would built out of wood, not concrete.

I will have to check my VCR.

#989 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:08 PM

ya it’s wood.

#990 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

Highlander.jpg

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#991 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:18 AM

I still think Highlander might have been able to pull it off, if it had seemed high-end with the materials and such. Love or hate the style, at least it wasn't a hodgepodge. It was coherent. Soaring Peaks on the other hand...

#992 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 08:31 AM

Oh, Soaring Peaks, that was actually the one I was thinking of. Highlander actually looks pretty good.

Soaring%20Peaks.jpg

• Matt R. likes this

#993 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 02:43 PM

Oh my, those were the days. That's going back what, 14 years?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#994 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:42 PM

>>>Let's hope this rendering is very preliminary and that the pitched roof concept is nixed before construction begins<<<

Yes, in favor of a Victoria building, dead flat with no architectural imagination ... not !!!

I love the "pitched" roof ... and I live in Langford.

• newbie_01 likes this

#995 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

...I love the "pitched" roof ... and I live in Langford.

Nothing about that statement surprises me.

#996 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

First Island Financial pulled off a pitched roof perfectly. Speaking of which, Mrs. Mike K.’s father’s company built it. Fun fact.

Anyways, the BC Hydro tower in downtown Vancouver has a pitched roof as well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#997 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,402 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

First Island Financial pulled off a pitched roof perfectly...

I may be alone in this opinion, but very few contemporary buildings taller than about 5 floors are able to make a case for a house-style pitched roof, or as with the proposal in Langford, a series of pitched roofs. There are other ways to top off a tall building without having to go with the giant house aesthetic.

roof1.jpg

roof2.jpg

roof3.jpg

roof4.jpg

roof5.jpg

#998 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 05:48 PM

There are many examples of buildings of over five-storeys with an amazing pitched roof. We have one of the finest examples right down on the Inner Harbour and quite a few throughout the province.

FIF is one of the classiest office buildings we’ve got going and it looks as good today as it did when it was built 20 years ago.

Know it all.

#999 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 06:55 PM

>>>Let's hope this rendering is very preliminary and that the pitched roof concept is nixed before construction begins<<<

Yes, in favor of a Victoria building, dead flat with no architectural imagination ... not !!!

I love the "pitched" roof ... and I live in Langford.

Yeah....because that never happens here in Pokeyville, lol.

One of my biggest beefs with 'development' here is not so much when the height of so many proposals is lopped off to placate one entrenched NIMBY interest or another, resulting in yet another disappointing and under built semi-fat scaper - that is bad enough but more often than not you know in advance that is a highly likely outcome so there's no point belaboring the issue.

Rather my biggest issue is the overall and general lack of vision in terms of "really" architecturally interesting, and dare I say it, buildings with some verve and panache. European cities are replete with literally hundreds of examples of uber-cool architecture (see Barcelona or Paris), ditto many South American cities and we all know what Shanghai and Dubai are capable of.

I'm not suggesting we're in that class of city architecturally - simply put we're not, not even remotely: nonetheless that doesn't mean we need to default to the aforementioned "Victoria building....dead flat with no architectural imagination" which sadly and all too often is the outcome. We can - and we should - strive to do better. Much better. How many more "dead flat" (ho-hum) 10-12 story buildings do we really want to see, or need, downtown?

Edited by AllseeingEye, 03 June 2019 - 06:55 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#1000 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 01:29 AM

Prime development site in one of Greater Victoria's most sought after neighbourhoods. The site is currently 8 townhomes with 8 separate titles totaling 53,479sqft. Number TEN Architectural Group has drafted building plans at an FSR of 1.417, creating a 75,771sqft building. This draft plan includes 17 studios, 81 one bedrooms, 5 one plus den & 10 2bed/townhouse units. Strongitharm Consulting is handling the rezoning process. The neighbours have been consulted and the application is projected to be submitted within the next few weeks. The seller is open to a joint venture with a builder. 

http://victoria.macr...s408342/vrebkv/

4096 torquay in saanich

408342-1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 June 2019 - 01:32 AM.

• newbie_01 likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)