Photo

Non-City of Victoria projects with no threads

• Please log in to reply
1445 replies to this topic

#1001 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:10 AM

I guess my eyes aren't working this morning because I looked at that first picture and I saw an off-kilter cylindrical tower viewed from below.

#1002 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 June 2019 - 07:29 AM

That looks... ew. The location is decent for developments like this, but I sure hope there is a lot of improvement in design.

#1003 E2V

E2V
  • 166 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

Construction has started at 833-835 Dunsmuir Road in Esquimalt. A 7 floor condo development, I believe.
Are there any particulars or a thread on this?

#1004 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

Thanks!

No thread, but there is this profile page: https://victoria.cit...-dunsmuir-road/

It will be five-storeys tall with 34-units.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1005 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:14 AM

On Viewmont in Royal Oak (close to Brydon Park), new townhomes coming from Mike Geric: https://thereeve.ca/

This is well under construction now finally. Prices from 699k to 759k. 8/32 units sold. First homes completion late summer sounds like, the rest next year.

#1006 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:14 AM

Note to self:  When considering a new build purchase visit city planning dept. (in any city) to inspect architects stamp on original building plans.  No stamp and perhaps I don't buy, and if I do I certainly don't pay as much as those surrounding buildings that do have that stamp.  :) . (FYI - Architects fees typically add 8 to 10% on the total)

Langford sued for giving OK to building that has no architect

Snippets from https://www.timescol...tect-1.23853919

"The lawsuit incensed Langford Mayor Stew Young, who said the municipality’s responsibility is to make sure a building is up to code — not to be a gatekeeper for a private professional organization.

“They want to get municipalities to do their enforcement. They’re the ones making the money, but I’ve got to do the enforcement for no money,” Young said.

He said adding another step to the approval process increases costs — something that should be avoided when there’s a housing crisis.

“They’re going after Langford because we’re small. I don’t have the money to go defend people that are building units and don’t use an architect,” Young said."

Edited by VIResident, 13 June 2019 - 05:16 AM.

#1007 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 05:31 AM

Just to add to the above, Langford is being sued by the Architectural Institute of B.C. over a building at 669 Hofmann. That building, as some of you may recall, was left partially constructed for well over a year after construction began.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1008 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:42 AM

^ FWIW, the requirements to retain a licensed architect are established in the BC Architect Act.

#1009 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:47 AM

CBC coverage.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...legal-1.5171355

in all fairness, the Architect's Act is a PITA to parse, I spent much of my exam prep trying to memorize the various occupancy-determined limits of Architect-free design which are allowed.

~ Jasmine ~

#1010 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:37 AM

So how does one go about building a townhouse without an architect? I assume you have your "designer" sketch up (or download) your basic plans and then your general contractor draws up the actual working plans that the trades use? Seems sketchy, no pun intended.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#1011 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,996 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:39 AM

well most houses involve no architect.

#1012 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

You just buy the plan off the Internet or reference it out of a book.

Many larger buildings are also designed "without an architect," but the work is actually done by an architect that isn't licensed in BC and requires another architect to merely sign off on their work. I guess the developers of the Hofmann building weren't required by Langford to have the work signed off.

Know it all.

#1013 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 13 June 2019 - 08:52 AM

So how does one go about building a townhouse without an architect? I assume you have your "designer" sketch up (or download) your basic plans and then your general contractor draws up the actual working plans that the trades use? Seems sketchy, no pun intended.

well most houses involve no architect.

Not every building requires an architect. As jasmineshinga noted, the Architect Act outlines the exceptions. For example, I think the requirement kicks in for residential construction over 5 units.

#1014 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:23 AM

So how does one go about building a townhouse without an architect? I assume you have

Not every building requires an architect. As jasmineshinga noted, the Architect Act outlines the exceptions. For example, I think the requirement kicks in for residential construction over 5 units.

your "designer" sketch up (or download) your basic plans and then your general contractor draws up the actual working plans that the trades use? Seems sketchy, no pun intended

Correct - for townhouses and smaller residential protects a designer (or Architectural Technologist) can oversee the construction drawings for up to 4 units. Architects have to get on board for 5+ units (other occupancies have other trigger points. 11 beds in a motel for example). Many occupancies are area based, so I could draw up plans for a 569 square metre commercial buld, but not 570+. It gets more complex from there with limits to open spans, can't do schools at all, on and on...

Overly complicated compared to some jurisdictions - such as Alberta where it generally boils down to 3-storeys, 500 square metres.

Sometimes I miss Alberta.

• Nparker, Jackerbie and VIResident like this

~ Jasmine ~

#1015 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:14 PM

It should be a fairly simple procedural update for Langford to update its processing of building permit applications:  just have the person(s) processing the application see if the development has five or more units and, if it does, check to see that the plans were stamped/signed off on by an architect.  

Stewart Young doesn't sound credible when he claims that making such a 'check' would add to the cost of housing.  Yes, it's more expensive to use an architect, but that's a cost paid by the applicant.  It shouldn't cost Langford much to enforce the rules.  "They want to get municipalities to do their enforcement. They’re the ones making the money, but I’ve got to do the enforcement for no money" Young says, but that logic doesn't hold up: the municipality is actually making revenue from property taxes of the buildings they issue permits for.  And Langford is charged with enforcing other bylaws that don't necessarily drive revenue...

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 13 June 2019 - 12:14 PM.

• VIResident likes this

#1016 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,996 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 12:27 PM

it seems odd.

#1017 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:46 AM

Plans are in for "The Rise on 5th," a four-storey apartment at 9570 & 9574 Fifth Street in Sidney.

Capture.PNG

• Mike K. likes this

#1018 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

At 5 floors it should be called "The Bump on 5th".

#1019 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

That looks sharp. So are any of these spiffy little Sidney projects actually getting built or what? I thought Mike K. was supposed to be preparing an extensive photo essay for us not too long ago? Did he skip out on that?

#1020 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 20 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

^ I'll snap some pics if I'm in Sidney next weekend. There have been a few projects started or completed recently, such as Leeward by Aryze. They've got a write-up with photos on their website: https://aryze.ca/project/leeward/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users