• Please log in to reply
1440 replies to this topic

#1181 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:23 AM

Yes, that’s right.

Also, the immediate area they say is made up of four-storey buildings has a six-story building across the street, and a six-storey building behind it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1182 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:28 AM

Another interesting thing, is the Grumpy Taxpayers released a press release yesterday discussing this group’s efforts, and the TC immediately followed up with an article.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1183 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:50 AM

Langford has zoning?

works for houston.  one of the fastest growing cities in the usa.

#1184 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 10:53 AM

Yes, Langford has zoning. They up-zoned that entire thoroughfare and these two buildings are conforming to the master plan.

Know it all.

#1185 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 04:15 PM

Langford clearly has zoning that prohibits the open storage of nuclear waste that emits more than 1200 roentgen.

#1186 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 04:16 PM

Langford clearly has zoning that prohibits the open storage of nuclear waste that emits more than 1200 roentgen.

Unless no one has applied to store nuclear waste yet.

#1187 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 04:53 PM

I am pretty sure they would stick to the 1200 roentgen maximum. Google that.

#1188 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 30 December 2020 - 08:49 PM

Langford has zoning?

Sure, they had to zone for the maritime museum that COV didn't want.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1189 johnk2

johnk2
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:46 PM

works for houston.  one of the fastest growing cities in the usa.

It's especially great when someone can build an abattoir next door and destroy your property value. No zoning, you know. There's growth and there's intelligent growth.

#1190 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 01:49 PM

with the abattoir next door your farm to table restaurant is a sure winner.
  • Matt R. likes this

#1191 tiger11

tiger11
  • 163 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 04:39 PM

Maybe you mean a change in OCP? Basically, anywhere in the city centre core (which is huge) is supported for higher density buildings in Langford.

Having talked to planners essentially the rule of thumb for Langford Core is if parking can be accommodated on site as required by the bylaw then a project of any height or density will be supported in principle (various other considerations of course). 

Yes, Langford has zoning. They up-zoned that entire thoroughfare and these two buildings are conforming to the master plan.

#1192 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 December 2020 - 05:13 PM

This is how most jurisdictions work. That’s why you can buy a million dollar family home in Calgary for $500k. Or a large condo for $350k.

Know it all.

#1193 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:22 AM

I forget which project this particular location belongs to. Either a new school or the new Maritime Museum, I think? Was out to Costco recently and was quite surprised by the landscape change across McCallum Rd - it used to be all rock and trees there. Heck, I can remember when it was just Costco and Staples on that hill with nothing else nearby. Quite the building boom that area has had.

Attached Images

• PXL_20210301_203240560 (2).jpg

#1194 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 10:26 AM

I forget which project this particular location belongs to. Either a new school or the new Maritime Museum, I think?...

I just don't seem to be able to wrap my head around the concept of a maritime museum situated on top of a mountain (albeit a small mountain). It is particularly strange in a region situated at the southern tip of a large island with hundreds of kilometers of coastline. 

• Brantastic likes this

#1195 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:18 PM

(Victoria, lucky Sooke is only 45 mins away in light traffic)

"The Sooke Region Chamber of Commerce was recently approached by the Postmark Group, the development firm that owns the waterfront property behind the Royal Bank building at the roundabout.
Their vision: 'A landmark seaside development for Vancouver Island, this project will include up to 50,000 square feet of class "A" office and main level retail space and mid-range condominiums in phase one. Phase two will include luxury waterfront condominiums, a marina and an additional 15,000 sq. ft. of retail commercial space, in a walkable village centre concept. The village centre will be designed with the values of the community in mind featuring eco-conscious mass timber and biophilic design to serve as an architectural anchor in a vibrant island community.'

https://postmarkgrou...9WSUlKuiu54E1uI

#1196 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 04:22 PM

Biophilic design is a concept used within the building industry to increase occupant connectivity to the natural environment through the use of direct nature, indirect nature, and space and place conditions.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 March 2021 - 04:24 PM.

#1197 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 07 March 2021 - 11:19 AM

Big assembly coming together in Esquimalt behind the Town Square development. Appears the developer is Invictus Commercial Investment Corp, and they're proposing 245 apartment units. No pictures yet. https://invictuscomm....com/portfolio/

1221, 1219, 1217, 1215, 1211 and 1207 Carlisle, 522, 512 Fraser Street, and 1226,1224 and 1212 Lyall Street
  • Mike K. and Brantastic like this

#1198 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 05:48 AM

Transportation issues and concerns over building scale gave Esquimalt council enough pause Monday to not send a development proposal for a prominent corner to public hearing.

Lampson Corners calls for 89 units of strata-titled homes in two buildings, one six storeys and one five, to be built on five lots on the sloping northwest corner of Lampson Street and Esquimalt Road. The mix of residences as proposed includes 84 condominiums and five townhouse-style units.

https://www.vicnews....ampson-corners/

#1199 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 06:55 AM

Building scale? Six and five floors is cause for concern?

#1200 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,865 posts

Posted 12 March 2021 - 07:01 AM

i like this corner.  and i like this property at this corner.

here is the problem with politicians.

some think there will be traffic issues since this is a busy intersection.  but aren't busy intersections or busy streets exactly where we want larger development?  we don't want them generally on very quiet streets.  and be realistic how much percentage traffic does this add?  under 0.1% or less i'd guess.  you have a plaza more or less across the street that has 200x or 500x the traffic.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 March 2021 - 07:01 AM.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users