• Please log in to reply
614 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,872 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 05:46 PM

Our region's most expensive houses
Top assessed values for single-family houses in Greater Victoria. Assessments issued for 2007 are based on the estimated value on July 1, 2006. Most are waterfront properties.
Times Colonist
Published: Sunday, November 25, 2007

1 $14.8 million
- Villa Madrona. 684 Lands End Rd., North Saanich.
- Assessed value: total for adjoining lots: $14.8 million.
- Owners: Linda and Ralph Bodine, former chairman of the board of Sunkist.
- Property taxes: total of $60,144.
- Status: for sale at $15.5 million through Multiple Listing Service.
- Features: This custom-built waterfront home on two acres has dazzled real-estate watchers since it was built in 1996. The property includes an 11,000-square-foot house with three bedrooms, satellite-fed theatre, indoor pool-conservatory area, guest house, orchid house, tea house and boathouse. Features include corner niches from the original Vanderbuilt mansion from Fifth Avenue in New York, other historic details, floor-to-ceiling windows and an English wooden bar from Venice.

2 $11.6 million
- Sweet Pea, 3195 Humber Rd., Uplands, Oak Bay.
- Assessed value: $11.6 million
- Owners: Pamela and Todd Axelrod, owner of U.S.-based Gallery of History Inc., a public company dealing in rare documents and memorabilia.
- Property taxes: $65,545, the highest residential property taxes for a single-family house in the capital region.
- Status: for sale at $28.5 million, believed to be the highest asking price for a single-family home in Canada.
- Features: Sweet Pea is on 2.5 acres, with 450 metres of rocky oceanfront. This house has seven bedrooms, doors covered in gold leaf, an indoor swimming pool and spa, a media room, and ultra-high tech security system. Much of the original house was torn down several years ago and a multimillion-dollar renovation was completed.

3 $10.5 million
- 3125 Beach Dr., Uplands. Oak Bay.
- Assessed value: just under $10.5 million
- Owner: Seadragon Properties. Company directors are listed as Donald Mattrick, former president of Electronic Arts video game company, and Nanon de Gaspé Beaubien-Mattrick.
- Property taxes: $59,666.
- Features: One of the community's historic homes, Eagles Nest was built by Forbes Wilson for $26,000 in 1930. Robert Mayhew, a former Canadian ambassador to Japan, bought the home in 1940 for $40,000. The 2.3-acre waterfront property is assessed at more than $6 million and the buildings at nearly $4 million.

4 $10.4 million
- 3150 Rutland Rd. & 3115 Beach Dr., Oak Bay.
- Assessed value: almost $10.4 million
- Owner: Bella Properties Inc. Kamloops, Kevin Jardine is listed as president.
- Property taxes: $58.381.
- Features: This house has a special place in Oak Bay's history. It was built in 1914 for Thomas William Paterson, B.C.'s lieutenant-governor from 1909 to 1914. The view of the waterfront and Mount Baker from this property was used on the cover of the brochure for the Uplands when it was built. The house is close to 10,000 square feet. The property has seven bedrooms, and its three acres includes a bay and three islets. Movie star Meg Tilly once owned this home, which has been extensively renovated.

5 $9 million
- 3160 Humber Rd., Uplands, Oak Bay.
- Assessed value: $9 million
- Owner: Shelley Lynn Mohr
- Property taxes: $51,246.
- Features: A private driveway leads from Humber Road to the 1996 house, situated on almost two acres on a point of land across from Royal Victoria Yacht Club. The land is assessed at more than $6 million and improvements at nearly $3 million.

6 $8.7 million
- 1069 Beach Dr., South Oak Bay.
- Assessed value: $8.7 million
- Owner: The property is in the name of the trustees of the estate of the former owner of Butchart Gardens, Robert Ian Ross, and his widow, Ann-Lee Ross, who died this year, both of whom have a half interest.
- Property taxes: $49,090.
- Features: This stately two-storey, 1912 Beach Dr. stone house on close to three acres was built for David Rogers, who headed Rogers and Co. Ltd. real estate firm and was also president of The Uplands Ltd. When built, it featured large windows, terraces and balconies overlooking the water.

7 $8.5 million
- 340 Moses Point Rd., North Saanich.
- Assessed value: $8.5 million
- Owners: Catherine McLean, of Vancouver, Willa Campbell of North Saanich, and Gordon Campbell of Brewer, Maine.
- Property taxes: $34,115.
- Features: Buildings are assessed at $290,000 and land at $8.177 million. Like some other premier properties, it's located on the end of a point, in this case Moses Point. At close to five acres, it's the largest piece of property in the top-10 list. It's located near the top end of the peninsula and has views across Saanich Inlet.

8 $7.5 million
- 547 Ardmore Dr., North Saanich.
- Assessed value: $7.5 million
- Owners: Gwyn Morgan, former CEO of EnCana Corp., and Patricia Trottier.
- Property taxes: $30,095.
- Features: This property, with slightly more than two acres, is home to many tall trees and is assessed at close to $3 million, with improvements assessed at more than $4 million.

9 $7.4 million
- 3155 Beach Dr., Uplands, Oak Bay.
- Assessed value: $7.4 million
- Owners: David and Veronica Liang
- Property taxes: $42,446.
- Features. Called Robinwood, the 1.67-acre site features tall Garry oak trees and a curving driveway leading to the 1929 house facing the water.

10 $7.2 million
- 9020 Ardmore Dr., North Saanich.
- Assessed value: $7.2 million
- Owners: Susan and William Gallacher, Calgary
- Property taxes: $29,473.
- Features: The 1987 house is on two acres-plus on Yarrow Point by Coles Bay. The land is assessed at $5.6 million and improvements at $1.6 million.

11 $7.1 million
- 1101 Beach Dr., Oak Bay
- Owners: Robert Bardagy, Pauline McIsaac
- Listed for sale at $15 million

12 $6.5 million
- 3145 Humber Rd., Oak Bay
- Owners: William and Vicki Mather, Edmonton

13 $6.2 million
- 3150 Tarn Pl., Oak Bay
- Owners: Frank and Karen Somers

14 $5.9 million
- 2985 Beach Dr., Oak Bay.
- Owners: George and Joan Kosich, West Vancouver

15 $5.8 million
- 249 King George Terrace, Oak Bay.
- Owner: Daniel Thomas Fitzpatrick

16 $5.8 million
- 3165 Tarn Pl., Oak Bay.
- Owner: Anne-Marie Gustavson

17 $5.7 million
- 237 King George Terrace, Oak Bay
- Owners: Anders and Janet Berglund, Washington state

18 $5.7 million
- 1039 Beach Dr., Oak Bay
- Owner: Rikki Swin

19 $5.7 million
- 1029 Beach Dr., Oak Bay.
- Owner: Mark Brian Lyle

20 $5.6 million
- A-8100 McPhail Rd., Central Saanich
- Owners: David and Valerie Greene
- Selling for $18.5 million after extensive renovations

I still can't believe Sweet Pea is going for $28.5 million. I don't think they'll get nearly that much for it. I'll believe it when I see it. Good for them if they do I guess. There were some notable houses that didn't make the list for various reasons. The Swanwick Ranch (the one in Metchosin going for $24 million) is too new to make the list (as is Len Barrie's place I imagine). "Riffington," David Black's (as in the Black Press, Saanich News etc etc) house in the Uplands, is classed as a farm which lowers the assessed value, as is Eagle's Landing in Central Saanich. I heard that Black's house is classed as a farm because his wife grows & sells enough flowers in their greenhouse for the place to be a farm. For a while the wise guy only had to pay farm taxes but Oak Bay put a stop to that recently. I don't think the Swanwick Ranch will sell for even half of what's being asked for it. Even though the house is on 67 waterfront acres & won an architectural award, it's a miniscule 8300 sqft and there doesn't seem to be any improvements of any kind on the property. There is no stable, no gardens, no swimming pool, no hot tub, etc. The driveway isn't even paved! The #1 on the list is a true masterpiece on the other hand imho. It has a totally different style though; it looks almost like a mini palace of Versailles. :P
check it out:
www.villamadrona.com
Alan Lowe was the architect who designed 3160 Humber (#5).

#2 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 11:34 PM

^My sentiments exactly about Sweet Pea. It's nice, but it's not worth anything close to 28.5 million. I'd love to know how much Riffington's worth. That place is magnificent. Kudo's to David Black for not putting a big gate up there either, like so many Uplands mansions have now. I'd also love to know the value of a few other houses on Beach Drive and on Humber Rd, like Russ Courtnall's place and the place on the corner of Beach and Humber that looks even more like the palace of Versailles than Villa Madrona.

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 4,872 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 12:42 PM

the place on the corner of Beach and Humber that looks even more like the palace of Versailles than Villa Madrona.

if it looks like the palace of versailles from the front it will look like a shack from the water side since it's on a cove. the lot is wedge-shaped, & the big end faces the road,which is sort of the opposite of sweet pea, whose shoreline is 400m or something, but it's relatively innocent looking from the street.

#4 LJ

LJ
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:32 PM

^I'd also love to know the value of a few other houses on Beach Drive and on Humber Rd, like Russ Courtnall's place and the place on the corner of Beach and Humber that looks even more like the palace of Versailles than Villa Madrona.

Go here and find out. Check out your neighbours while your at it.

http://www.bcassessm...asba/index.aspx

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,952 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 09:40 PM

^ It isn't working yet...

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 10:09 PM

^Besides, tax assessment isn't market value.

#7 LJ

LJ
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

^Besides, tax assessment isn't market value.

You will never know market value until the place is sold.

Assessed value gives you a good indication, especially if you know what one house sold for - you can extrapolate the results.

#8 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:05 PM

The assessed value of any home is only an indicator of market value. However, in most locations in BC, and especially here in Victoria, sale prices are exceeding tax assessments by 5%-%15 percent.

A house across the street from us was valued at 545.000 in 2006, and sold in May for 595.000. Looking at the sales in Gordon Head (30+) over the last year all have sold for more than tax value.

I think there will be a slow down in the market over the next year - but prices will still equal, or exceed, assessments.

Mat

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,952 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

My assessment went down :)

#10 LJ

LJ
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:09 PM

^ It isn't working yet...

It is now

#11 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:27 PM

You will never know market value until the place is sold.

Assessed value gives you a good indication, especially if you know what one house sold for - you can extrapolate the results.

It's something I tend to ignore when house hunting. It may be general indication, but it varies so much from house to house. I've looked at so many houses in the past and the asking price and market value seemed to too many times defy logic from house to house with regards to its tax assessment.

A house is worth what someone is willing to pay. Nothing more, nothing less.

#12 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,952 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:33 PM

^ Yes but assessment is used for tax puposes so it does matter for your wallet. My assessment went down by amost 5000 bucks. Pretty good when I was expecting to yet again pay more.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 02:35 PM

^You're right.
Mine when up four grand.

#14 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:49 PM

I am not certain if it good or bad - our house went up by $55.000 this year -

Mat

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,952 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

I guess good if you are selling, bad if you are planning on staying.

#16 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:52 AM

Go here and find out. Check out your neighbours while your at it.

http://www.bcassessm...asba/index.aspx

If you can get this thing to actually assess property values, let me know how to do it because i have tried and tried to get it to work.

#17 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:54 AM

You have to go to this link:
http://142.32.78.110/asba/index0.aspx
which is the index page. After a couple of months, it decays (the assessments are only up for a while). Beats me why there isn't a link to this index on the BC Assessments page itself (at least I couldn't find it).
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 15,151 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

If only my folks had held on to the old homestead in James Bay...

#19 LJ

LJ
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:34 PM

If you can get this thing to actually assess property values, let me know how to do it because i have tried and tried to get it to work.

You just have to say "you agree" to the disclaimer and it takes to the appropriate page.

#20 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 12:59 AM

If only my folks had held on to the old homestead in James Bay...

James Bay? **** man, my parents had a little place in the Uplands that is now worth $1,538,000! Mind you, the subsequent owner has added a second floor to the place. Damn shame they filled in our pool though. With the pool, it would have been worth even more.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users