Photo

The Bard & Banker | Victoria | Government St. @ Fort St.

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

My understanding is that there was a Strongbow shortage last couple of weeks. A couple other places ran out too. It's all better now :)

My understanding too.

#62 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:46 AM

Comment. When I inquired about Strongbow and was told it was not available, no other option for cider was given other than Grower's (i.e Merridale, which depending on my mood is just as good but not necessarily superior to Strongbow, but that's a matter of personal preference). Should a competent server not have offered me other on-tap suggestions if they were available? How much is the customer expected to inquire about and how much should be server knowledge?

#63 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

Well, very few places carry both Strongbow and Merridales at the same time, so there likely wasn't a good on tap alternate. They should have said however that they are temporarily out of stock (if that was indeed the case). I would have told you to man up and have a beer, but that's likely why I don't work hospitality...

#64 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:57 AM

To me, all beer tastes like water that has had grass clippings soaking in it for several days. If that makes me unmanly than so be it.:cool:

#65 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 10:59 AM

Is Phillips doing their Rasberry Wheat Ale still? It was a great alternative to cider. I convinced many non beer drinkers to buy it when I was a server and all of them loved it.

#66 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:05 AM

To me, all beer tastes like water that has had grass clippings soaking in it for several days. :cool:

Ya, but what about beers taste do you find a negative? :)

#67 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

Is Phillips doing their Rasberry Wheat Ale still? It was a great alternative to cider. I convinced many non beer drinkers to buy it when I was a server and all of them loved it.

I must have tried a couple dozen "flavoured" beers over the years. IMHO, it has always been a waste of good flavouring (and no doubt hard-core beer enthusiasts would call them a waste of good beer). The worst I can recall was a chocolate beer. It almost turned me off chocolate it was so nasty. I will be sticking with my cider for the foreseeable future.

#68 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:36 AM

Man...not like beer...d-d-does...not...compute...
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#69 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 11:50 AM

Fruity or chocolaty beer is just wrong, wrong, wrong.

#70 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 12:22 PM

As a beer drinker I do not mind original beers madfe with good ingridients and the Rasberry wheat ale was always nice on a hot day in the sun.

#71 vandervalk

vandervalk
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 03:11 PM

I had a double chocolate stout not too long ago and loved every minute of it. I can't recall what the name was offhand but I would recognize the bottle.

I've found that since I've moved to Victoria from Ontario my beer tastes have changed for the best. I've almost all but given up the big brew companies and have taken a huge liking for local or micro-breweries beer.

I love sampling new flavours and beers when I can.

#72 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:19 PM

While I think it's important to accept people's tastes other than my own, even when they completely differ from mine...you people are nuts. I keep the fruity chocolate out of my beer just like I keep perfume out of my medicine cabinet.:P

#73 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 04:31 PM

I've almost all but given up the big brew companies...

Same here. But on the rare occasion that I drink big brew beer I stick to preservative free Labatt's Blue.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#74 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 05:11 PM

Mine is Stella, Guiness or Bass. The rest are micro too.

#75 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 10 July 2008 - 09:05 PM

The only beers I've been able to enjoy are Canoe Habit Expresso Stout, Canoe's Beaver Brown, Philips Double Chocolate Porter, and maybe a Guiness if there isn't anything local. I am liking the creamy smooth dark sweet chewy beers. I'm not a fan of carbonation or bitterness. Can anyone suggest anything else I might like based on what I have found so far?

#76 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 12:58 PM

I'm happy to report that this place does indeed have Strongbow on tap (as of today at lunch). I'm not sure how much is left (it was a good lunch), but it's there nonetheless.

#77 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 01:37 PM

Well they best have some for me the next time I go in, or so help me Zimmie, no matter HOW handsome you are, there will be a price on your head!:D

#78 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 07:31 PM

They had it yesterday too (my wife loves Strongbow) when we went for lunch. Great place, good food but the staff still seem like they are running around in circles not quite knowing which table to serve...

I just tried a cider from Big Rock which surprised me since I've never seen a brewery that does both beer and cider. Anyway, it was pretty good though a little on the sweet side like Merridale.
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#79 Ginger Snap

Ginger Snap
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 08:42 PM

Tried the B&B out today, and was very impressed. Another slam dunk for M. McNeill.

Although I was confused... I thought it was supposed to be a British pub (London High Street, I thought) and everyone was wearing kilts?

#80 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 09:23 PM

They had it yesterday too (my wife loves Strongbow) when we went for lunch. Great place, good food but the staff still seem like they are running around in circles not quite knowing which table to serve...

bah. the place just opened, they'll memorize the table numbers & sections soon enough.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users