Photo

The Bard & Banker | Victoria | Government St. @ Fort St.

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#81 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 06:04 AM

Tried the B&B out today, and was very impressed. Another slam dunk for M. McNeill.

Although I was confused... I thought it was supposed to be a British pub (London High Street, I thought) and everyone was wearing kilts?

Scotland is part of the UK mate. depending on the tartan, perhaps it is an English clan?

I'm actually glad to see so many locals in the place. It's just the $8 pints are busting my budget. It's a beautiful place. Whenever I see the Lululemon clothes and the Phillips glasses at the table, I know it's a local.

#82 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:45 AM

True, the $8 pint is a ball-buster.
Mr. MacNeill told me once that price points in his establishments are set a bit higher because it helps keep out the yahoo element.

#83 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:34 PM

re. Scots vs London High Street theme: I'm guessing that since there's a historical connection to Robert Service (the "bard" in "bard & banker" -- the building is the "banker" part), and that somehow there's a rose & thistle motif in the architecture (i.e, a decorative motif somewhere), and that since this motif and Robert Service are Scottish (I think Service was a Scots), MacNeil is opting for the kilts.

Man, I have never seen a man with a common enough name have so much trouble getting it spelled right by people. There must be a gazillion variations on this forum already! It's Matt (with 2 Ts, unlike "our" mat) MacNeil (with Mac not Mc and Neil with one L not 2).

I think I have that right, anyway! Suddenly I feel unsure... Must be the ghostly supernatural atmosphere of Victoria... Or the beer...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:48 PM

Had the curry with lamb entre the other night. The food was excellent but the choice of actual dishware made for some comedic relief at my expense.

The entire meal was served on a wooden cutting board (what the heck?) with several slices of Indian bread on top beside a small bowl with the curry. Eating from the bowl with a knife and fork was very difficult (when I applied too much pressure, the bowl would try to flip) and I ended up losing several bites of food to the floor below.

If the aim here is to serve good meals in a classy atmosphere to discerning diners, lets lose the Montana's motif and serve food on proper plates.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:40 PM

(the "bard" in "bard & banker" -- the building is the "banker" part), ...

I think Robert Service is both the "bard" and the "banker" as he worked in the bank.

Rumour was that at night he slept on top of the main vault armed with a gun.

I guess this might qualify him as being Scottish, too frugal to get his own accomodation.:D
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#86 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

True, the $8 pint is a ball-buster.
Mr. MacNeill told me once that price points in his establishments are set a bit higher because it helps keep out the yahoo element.

Dangerous strategy in a cooling economy. Peeps may start to find that the $8 pint of Phillips at his establishment tastes exactly the same as the $5 pint of Phillips down the street.

#87 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:05 AM

^True, if you only want a quick pint. But the ambience and menu at B&B is incomparable.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#88 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:56 PM

The Phillips is about $6.50, the Smithwicks is $7.50 before all the taxes. Throw in your tax and tip and my relaxing pint at the bar is costing me $10 with no food. Which place down the street has the $5 Phillips?

I really like the B&B but you can't stop people griping. I've griped at Spinnakers profusely yet I find myself going back over and over. I'll never learn. It's the beer. It affects judgement.

#89 yodsaker

yodsaker
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:16 PM

I still haven't understood the "liquor tax" on the bill.
Liquor is taxed up the yingyang in this country already.

#90 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:11 AM

That's the kicker: When a bar or restaurant (a licensee) buys alcohol for their establishment, they must buy it from a Government Store (the BCLDB), not from one of the private stores. The licensee doesn't get a wholesale price but a mere 8.5% discount. That means that they pay pretty much the same price as you or I do at the liquor store then have to make money off of it.

on top of their markup the business has to charge both GST and the provincial liquor tax (called a Social Service Tax) of 10%.

That is why Hotdoglegz always enjoys his wine at home.

#91 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

Alcohol, like tobacco, is a "vice" and as such should be heavily taxed. No one needs either substance to survive, unlike food, clothing and shelter all of which are critical to existence, but are taxed as well. I'd rather see vice taxes increased if it meant that necessities could be taxed less.

#92 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:20 PM

Why the hell do we pay GST on feminine hygiene products? How is that not a necessity?

Sorry... just while we are on the topic of taxes.. enquiring minds want to know!

#93 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

A recent federal-government panel report said stuff like that could (or should?) be collected on behalf of municipalities, like it is in many American cities.

Why the hell do we pay GST on feminine hygiene products? How is that not a necessity?

Sorry... just while we are on the topic of taxes.. enquiring minds want to know!

Supply & demand? Like with oversized bras, women will get charged whatever they're willing to pay! :P

#94 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 05:41 PM

Before the "sanitary protection" industry was created, women used absorbent materials such as moss, sponges, and cloth for their menstrual flows, for thousands of years.

There you go--fill yer boots. Lord knows we have a lot of it here. See, there are benefits to a north-facing view.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#95 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:52 PM

I know they have a wide variety of beer at B&B, but I wanted to make a suggestion to add one particular type from Scotland that is available on the island:

Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer at BC Liquor Stores

I know of local no pub serving this, but it is something of very high quality that I saw served in the best London pubs. That it actually is readily available on the island is a surprise to me, but I'd sure like to see it on the menu at B&B.

Here is the official site for the brand:

Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Lots of great meal pairings that makes it very suitable for restaurants.

#96 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:21 PM

Innis & Gunn is one of my very favourites.

#97 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 04:40 PM

Alcohol, like tobacco, is a "vice" and as such should be heavily taxed. No one needs either substance to survive, unlike food, clothing and shelter all of which are critical to existence, but are taxed as well. I'd rather see vice taxes increased if it meant that necessities could be taxed less.

I agree. Liquor costs an awful lot more than is collected in taxes, in terms of law enforcement, insurance costs etc.

#98 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:21 PM

While I know VHF is joking. Our liquor taxes are bit out of hand. And in some ways I think the high cost of liquor actually creates more alcohol abuse than it prevents.

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 07:47 PM

And in some ways I think the high cost of liquor actually creates more alcohol abuse than it prevents.

Can you please explain this G-Man? Does this mean if liquor in BC had twice the taxes, more people would abuse it? Is it that people think the price will increase before they can finish their beer (wine, cocktail etc.) so they purchase more at one time and consume it before the price goes up? I am just not sure I understand your reasoning.

#100 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:33 PM

Not sure but we seem to have a lot more problems with alcohol than places where it is cheaper.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users