Photo

The Bard & Banker | Victoria | Government St. @ Fort St.

• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#101 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,474 posts

Posted 20 July 2008 - 08:56 PM

Perhaps the reason for our issues with alcohol have to do with where/when it can be consumed and the age at which it can be legally purchased.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#102 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,677 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:34 AM

Not sure but we seem to have a lot more problems with alcohol than places where it is cheaper.

Generally speaking it's considerably cheaper to purchase booze in the US than here, yet I'd say Americans have just as significant alcohol-related problems as we do. I am not sure one can correlate alochol-price and detrimentally-related issues. If you have some significant evidence though I'd love to hear it.

#103 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:41 AM

^ Then explain Europe for me. Cheap booze and yet not nearly the issues we see here.

#104 ptolomeus

ptolomeus
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 06:57 AM

The problem with alcohol is more a problem how society deals with it.
In most places I know, where Alcohol isn´t seen as Alcohol but as a natural (and historical) beverage, society doesn´t have a real problem with Alcohol. In countries such as France, Italy or Spain (just to name those) where wine was the basic and natural beverage of all the people since centuries, you will see much less "drunken" people, if at all. Same goes for the beer countries, such as Germany or Belgium, where this is the traditional beverage of the common people. The majority of people just enjoy a glass of wine or beer.
The main problems with alcohol, from what I have seen till now, are mainly caused by:
* how alcohol is seen by the establishment / society, typical are the anglo-saxon countries, such as the UK, Canada, USA, etc. ... When I went to the UK, some years ago, the pubs had to close very early (for a continental European :eek: :rolleyes:), so people just went crazy and used the two or tree hours they had to throw the beer into one throat, getting drunk is then unpreventable :D
Other such countries (societies) who cannot use alcohol in a civilized way are the Scandinavians such as Sweden or Eastern European countries, such as Russia or Ukraine (with Vodka). You will find easily drunken people there!
* A steady increase of the alcoholic content. In the past (past centuries), wine or beer was made with a low alcoholic content (in many places people used to have only that to drink). Now Beer and wine have a much higher alcohol level, getting drunk much faster is then unpreventable ...
* The more one demonize tings, the more those things become interesting for entire chunks of society ...
And countries where you may go to war and kill people at a certain age, but are not allowed to buy or enjoy a beer openly ... I don´t know how one should define double standards or ethics or talk about morale :D
Just my 2 cents

#105 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:01 AM

^ Then explain Europe for me. Cheap booze and yet not nearly the issues we see here.

North America doesn't have Baseball hooliganism, football riots etc. like they have at soccer matches in Europe.

#106 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

No we only riot when we lose hockey games or Axel Rose doesn't show up for a concert.

#107 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 11:01 AM

No we only riot when we lose hockey games or Axel Rose doesn't show up for a concert.

Exactly. Much better reasons to riot. OK, I should have said the USA doesn't have sports riots, they only happen in Canada.

#108 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:16 PM

^ Most likely due to the high cost of liquor.

If a bottle of booze only cost you 2 bucks most ruffians wouldn;t have turned up but rather would have passed out long before.

#109 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 21 July 2008 - 12:27 PM

We're getting off topic here. The B&B is not the place for cheap anything. If they are going to charge $10 for a beer, they may as well be serving the one I suggested. I'm glad they included Phillips and several other "Taste of Victoria" local brews.

#110 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:06 AM

^True, if you only want a quick pint. But the ambience and menu at B&B is incomparable.

All that I was saying is that in a slowing economy, charging top dollar and trying to exclude a certain portion of your potential clientelle is risky.

Many of the people who work in that area who would pay $10 for a beer are feeling the effects of rocky financial markets and might settle for a less expensive alternative elsewhere.

#111 KublaKhan

KublaKhan
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:04 PM

All that I was saying is that in a slowing economy, charging top dollar and trying to exclude a certain portion of your potential clientelle is risky.

Many of the people who work in that area who would pay $10 for a beer are feeling the effects of rocky financial markets and might settle for a less expensive alternative elsewhere.

Seriously...is it really $10 the pint at the B&B?

#112 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

A premium pint plus a nice tip for excellent service is an easy way to dispose of a ten-spot.

I disagree. In tough times, people in that bracket might very well be foregoing dropping three digits at a fancy restaurant every few days and instead settle spending $20 on a pint and a plate of yam fries once a week. If the current financial situation is affecting you, then you're in a whole different world than Joe Lunchbucket.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#113 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:28 PM

I guess we will see in a few months after the novelty wears off. I haven't seen any lineups to get into the B&B (unlike Cactus Club and Earl's when they opened), but perhaps I haven't been walking by at the right times. :-)

#114 julienne

julienne
  • 225 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 01:50 PM

I love the room and the food at the Bard, but two rounds of drinks for four people left us disheartened with a bill for $80.00 plus tip. We got swept up in the thrill of a new beautiful place to be. It's more like a fine dining experience, instead of going to your local. I will go back though but with a more frugal state of mind

#115 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

I guess we will see in a few months after the novelty wears off. I haven't seen any lineups to get into the B&B (unlike Cactus Club and Earl's when they opened), but perhaps I haven't been walking by at the right times. :-)

I have not seen any lineups either. When the summer tourist season is over what's going to happen if the locals don't want to spend so much?

#116 Number Six

Number Six
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:01 PM

I would think the lack of line-ups has something to do with the fact that it can seat up to 400 people. I've been there a handful of times and have never seen a line-up but it always seems busy.

#117 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 08:29 AM

See the link and take note B&B operators:

Beer Sales at Depression Era Levels at UK Pubs

#118 Shane M

Shane M
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:14 AM

How is the Irish Times doing since the Bard and Banker opened?

#119 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2008 - 07:30 PM

I went to the Bard tonight for the first time with a couple friends and I can't say I'll be going back anytime soon.

I was taken on a roundabout tour to a seat, passing numerous others that would have been perfectly suitable and comfortable, instead it was cramping and unpleasant. I ordered a pint of strongbow, it came, I found it rather flat, although the flavor was still there. I ordered a Halibut burger with a ceasar salad. The fish, although flaky lacked any form of real flavor one would expect, my ceasar had more red lettuce than romaine on top of huge chunks of lettuce, one would need a knife to cut, while the fresh bacon bits and Parmesan were certainly a great touch the rather stark lack of any dressing was very disappointing. The waitress never once came to check on our meals or see if we needed another drink (mine ran out mid-way through the meal...and wouldn't have minded another one)...she came at the very end to check on meals as she was clearing plates, kinda too late in my opinion, while she stood and chatted with friends I had to wait for the bartender to run my debit transaction through. For $15 for the meal and $7.50 for the drink I certainly would have expected far better service and a meal that tantalized the tastes buds, which I got neither. I would recommend Matt's other pubs, but certainly not this one!

#120 Sara

Sara
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:12 AM

Yes, I too recently went to the B&B and was completely unimpressed with the service. I ended up speaking to a manager for the plates at my table were beginning to stack up, the empty glasses everywhere. (No server asking to refill them). And to top it all off the food runner, who was auctioning off our food to us (Something I can’t stand, what you can’t read the seat number on the bill to figure out where the plate goes? Any good server would know that) was downright rude and snappish. We were given a gift certificate for next time, but truly free food or not I don’t think there will be a next time.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users