Photo

Where can Victoria put 16,000 more people?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,128 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:16 PM

Check this out.

Southeast False Creek, before:

Southeast False Creek, after:
http://www.millenniumwater.com/

Rock Bay neighbourhood, before:

Rock Bay neighbourhood, after:
??? ;)

16 residential buildings, all between 6-16 stories with units 600-2500 sqft, on a total of 25 acres, LEED Gold (Press gallery aka community centre will be LEED Platinum) & 16,000 residents. :cool:

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:26 PM

wait, you're saying we should put them in vancouver?? ha

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,128 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 11:34 PM

I think we'd have to, because we wouldn't be able to build that sort of thing here. Build a few new buildings and before you know it we'll have 2 million people living here!

#4 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 01:00 AM

If you like vancouver so much why don't you just move there? All these new residents should just go back to where they came come. I moved here from Vancouver/Toronto/Calgary to get AWAY from new development, so we're not allowed to emulate the city I moved away from in any shape or form since the urban form exists only for my personal needs and emotions.

Sheesh!

#5 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 November 2007 - 05:56 PM

People will move here not matter what. I think it is possible to put 16,000 more people into the rock bay area. Eventually the northern stretches of Government and Douglas Streets will have high density mixed use development (residential, commerical). Add a modern tram line up Government st and BRT(future LRT) up Douglas St and u wont have to worry about traffic problems. The trick is to put the tram line in now.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 10:05 PM

I thought this was an interesting quote from Keith Vass's article on sewage treatment:

Resource recovery prospects dim for Greater Victoria's sewage project

Most existing buildings downtown, including the legislative precinct, would need higher water temperatures than a heat exchange and pump system could deliver economically, Gilbert Cote of Stantec Engineering told the committee.

But a small district heating system, similar to the one heating Vancouver’s athlete's village, could serve future buildings north of Pandora, where City of Victoria planners anticipate new development going.

That's a strong incentive for significant density in this area. Your grandma's 3:1 FSR ain't gonna cut it no more.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 Chris J

Chris J
  • 215 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

Higher density in Uplands. Rezone the whole place. Replace monster homes with mixed use.
B the Media @ B Channel News
Local Comprehensive Coverage

http://bchannelnews.tv

#8 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

Higher density in Uplands. Rezone the whole place. Replace monster homes with mixed use.

:rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#9 bicycles

bicycles
  • 172 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:03 PM

I think Rock Bay has the most potential of anywhere in Victoria, just need a few projects to kick it off..

#10 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:22 PM

I think Rock Bay has the most potential of anywhere in Victoria, just need a few projects to kick it off..

Ah, you know that'll get bungled, it's gonna be a bunch of parks etc.

#11 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

There is a lot of space in the eastern Fairfield and Gonzales to add density, the area is a good choice for density because there is good transit to downtown and UVic, there is shopping within walking distance. The area could use 3-6 storey condos

#12 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 05:40 PM

Try to put any multi-family in east Fairfield and the world will come to an end.

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:29 PM

^There are more multi-families in Fairfield than there is downtown.

I think just north of d/t is the next logical step for density.

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

Western Fairfield has a lot of apartment buildings, it is the eastern end that is rather low in density.

Going north of Downtown is a problem because this is industrial and commercial land. This land is needed for the city to allow for businesses to exist. This region has not been adding more industrial land, instead it has been converting it to residential.

Gonzales is already residential. The city should set a target for more affordable housing in that area before making new areas residential.

#15 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2010 - 06:41 PM

There are so many sprawling 1970's strip malls around that are 1 level retail only that could be bulldozed and redeveloped with ground level retail/multi story condos.

Trouble is all the people you would have to put out of business to do that :(

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#16 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 07:36 PM

Western Fairfield has a lot of apartment buildings, it is the eastern end that is rather low in density.

Going north of Downtown is a problem because this is industrial and commercial land. This land is needed for the city to allow for businesses to exist. This region has not been adding more industrial land, instead it has been converting it to residential.

Gonzales is already residential. The city should set a target for more affordable housing in that area before making new areas residential.

While I would welcome more density in east Fairfield, if you break it down to the sum of its parts, there really isn't anywhere to develop. I can't think of any parking lots or brownfields worth targeting. There's the odd home or two will be redeveloped into something slightly more dense, but the neighbourhood is far too established for anyone to have the political will to tackle the behemoth of transforming it into a bunch of apartment buildings and townhomes.

Besides, rezoning some underused or unused areas of north downtown, such as this lot, would a much more realistic goal imo. And much less controversial.

#17 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:30 PM

Running LRT/Streetcars up Douglas would be a great way to stimulate that development that the Rock Bay area needs. Shame it is unlikely to happen.

#18 phx

phx
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 10:55 PM

It's likely Burnside will be redeveloped before much happens in Victoria proper.

#19 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:21 AM

^ While I disagree that east Fairfield is ripe for redevelopment, I strongly agree that Rock Bay should be left industrial. If some artist types want to live in lofts there, fine, but this city needs more than just condos and old age homes. There is plenty of room for 16,000 people in Harris Green, going North along Cook and Quadra, along Burnside, and down Shelbourne. We don't need to gut the only light industrial part of town to squeeze people in.

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:09 AM

The long-term plan for Rock Bay calls for retention of industrial. Although you have to wonder about the potential of that massive prime lot gumgum links to. Is it realistic a warehouse will be built here? If so, why wasn't it done decades ago?

Hey, how about single-family homes on the Empress property?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users