UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Tideline Lane at Royal Bay
Use: subdivision
Address: 360-374 Tideline Lane
Municipality: Colwood
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Tideline Line at Royal Bay is a collection of eight single-family-homes at the oceanside Royal Bay community i... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tideline Lane at Royal Bay on Citified.ca      Official website: https://royalbayhomesbysouthislandhometeam.com
Photo

[Colwood] Royal Bay & Beachlands | Subdivision

• Please log in to reply
512 replies to this topic

#361 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 28 January 2020 - 09:58 PM

I looked at that and got all excited until I looked at a map.  I'd love two living floors above my own private garage, but I don't think the commute has gotten that much better...

I'm finding a lot of the condos on the market right now to be rather uninspiring. We've built warehouses for people without considering lifestyle.  

Not really a big fan of Royal Bay as I find it very sterile in layout, designs and amenities but lets get real as far as the commute is concerned. It takes me less time to go from Royal Roads to downtown than it does for me to go from Oak Bay through downtown to Naden. If we were in the market for new home vs a "fixer upper" with comparable prices the new home would win hands down. The commute is nothing! Ever live in Richmond and work downtown in Vancouver?

• sebberry likes this

#362 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

Not really a big fan of Royal Bay as I find it very sterile in layout, designs and amenities but lets get real as far as the commute is concerned. It takes me less time to go from Royal Roads to downtown than it does for me to go from Oak Bay through downtown to Naden. If we were in the market for new home vs a "fixer upper" with comparable prices the new home would win hands down. The commute is nothing! Ever live in Richmond and work downtown in Vancouver?

For a small city, it's significant. Living in Richmond is a nice easy 30 minute Canada Line ride. Royal Bay is a 35-45 minute drive on average to downtown, with much of that in city traffic. It's not terrible if you're comparing it to Vancouver, sure, but it's among the longest commutes in the area, and that's 7 hours or so a week you spend sitting in a car.

#363 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:25 PM

For a small city, it's significant. Living in Richmond is a nice easy 30 minute Canada Line ride. Royal Bay is a 35-45 minute drive on average to downtown, with much of that in city traffic. It's not terrible if you're comparing it to Vancouver, sure, but it's among the longest commutes in the area, and that's 7 hours or so a week you spend sitting in a car.

Disagree with you. The drive from Royal Bay to downtown is 75% +/- highway vs 25% City drive. It is certainly not that coming from Oak Bay to Naden. I would rather commute from Royal Roads to downtown than from Oak Bay to Naden any day. To me it far less stressful than negotiating my way through the traffic mess that downtown Victoria has become. The time is less and the stress is less so to me that's a win.

As to Richmond when you factor in the Canada Line then  sure that is easier but until we have our own Canada Line the argument is specious. Apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

#364 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:34 AM

Disagree with you. The drive from Royal Bay to downtown is 75% +/- highway vs 25% City drive. It is certainly not that coming from Oak Bay to Naden. I would rather commute from Royal Roads to downtown than from Oak Bay to Naden any day. To me it far less stressful than negotiating my way through the traffic mess that downtown Victoria has become. The time is less and the stress is less so to me that's a win.

As to Richmond when you factor in the Canada Line then  sure that is easier but until we have our own Canada Line the argument is specious. Apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Right now, 8:30 AM, the Google maps drive time from Royal Bay to Downtown Victoria is 43 minutes with heavy traffic. The google maps drive time from Richmond to Downtown Vancouver is 44 minutes, heavy traffic. It's identical, time wise. The Royal Bay to Victoria is a little longer distance wise, but not 50%, just 25% longer.

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:37 AM

You've still got a lot of construction along the route, though. The interchange is not yet completed and lots of work on Douglas between Saanich and Cloverdale really slows down traffic. I don't recall if the bus lane from Tillicum to Saanich is done yet but I seem to recall it's still an active construction area.

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 January 2020 - 04:05 PM

You've still got a lot of construction along the route, though. The interchange is not yet completed and lots of work on Douglas between Saanich and Cloverdale really slows down traffic. I don't recall if the bus lane from Tillicum to Saanich is done yet but I seem to recall it's still an active construction area.

Probably the same impact as https://vancouver.ca...n/roadwork.aspx

#367 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:09 AM

There is also construction in Interurban that is pushing people from my neighbourhood onto other streets.   The construction is currently adding 3-5 minutes to my morning bus commute.   There have been mid day times when the road is closed for over five minutes at a time.   I see the impact the most on Hastings which is normally backed up to at least Santa Anita when headed eastwards in the morning.   Almost all of this traffic is from people who use Hastings as a shortcut from the Westshore to get elsewhere. 

#368 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, it's ugly out there. It'll be a while before traffic levels are operating without any construction-related impediments.

• Bernard likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#369 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, it's ugly out there. It'll be a while before traffic levels are operating without any construction-related impediments.

As Royal Bay builds out more, I think Metchosin road, and specificly the Metchosin road/Sooke road intersection are going to become awefuly congested. I hope Colwood has capacity improvements in the plans.

#370 rambaldi

rambaldi
  • 182 posts

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:24 PM

The presenter at the January 29th Open House mentioned that they're hoping there will be a 40,000 sq.ft grocery store anchoring the Commons Village by late 2021 / early 2022.

More info about the Open House:

https://liveatroyalb...-29-open-house/

#371 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,771 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 30 January 2020 - 09:46 PM

As Royal Bay builds out more, I think Metchosin road, and specificly the Metchosin road/Sooke road intersection are going to become awefuly congested. I hope Colwood has capacity improvements in the plans.

You can also use Latoria to go back to Veterans Memorial and I think Colwood is working on a round about at that intersection.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#372 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

Sequoia Coffee is coming to Royal Bay. Last night, Colwood approved a "pop-up" coffee shop in Royal Bay to serve the neighbourhood as it develops. Sequoia is a partnership between 2% Jazz and Truffles Catering. via https://liveatroyalb...e-at-royal-bay/ and https://twitter.com/...449508000358400

Edited by Jackerbie, 12 February 2020 - 01:24 PM.

#373 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,280 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:45 PM

The reopening of Royal Beach lands brings Colwood one step closer to building its ideal seaside community, which Mayor Rob Martin hopes will become a destination hub.

https://www.vicnews....waterfront-hub/

there is a lot of fanciful talk in that article. are people really thinking anybody will take a boat to town daily?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 June 2020 - 01:46 PM.

#374 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:26 AM

https://www.timescol...-bay-1.24167315

Up to 2,100 homes, range of services pitched for Royal Bay

#375 UserofVic

UserofVic
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:54 PM

The Royal Bay/Colwood Homeowners Association is unhappy with what it described as a “wall” of attached housing replacing earlier plans for single-family housing. They fear taller buildings will result in a noisier environment.

Well that's a false fear. All the townhouses and apartments down further down Latoria sure don't make it any more noisy than detached houses. They're residential uses still, not a nightclub

edit I'm excited for the commercial component to come in. It'll do a lot to make Colwood more walkable and bikable by having a 2nd activity node. Especially since it's built as mixed use already, and Colwood's road designs are far better than the trashy designs Langford puts in.

Edited by UserofVic, 09 July 2020 - 04:02 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#376 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:56 PM

exactly.

#377 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,280 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

Well that's a false fear. All the townhouses and apartments down further down Latoria sure don't make it any more noisy than detached houses. They're residential uses still, not a nightclub

a common long-standing “fear” is what happens after you live there.
  • Nparker likes this

#378 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:37 PM

a common long-standing “fear” is what happens after you live there.

See: Victoria, Downtown Residents Association for further proof of this phenomenon.

#379 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:48 PM

I didn't know where Colwood city hall was, I googled it and it went to an empty field.

I guess they have a lot of outdoor meetings during these Covid times.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#380 ColbyCo

ColbyCo
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:13 AM

I think this is a positive action on behalf of the City of Colwood.  Nice to see this development push forward and gain momentum.

https://www.goldstre...ay-development/

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users