UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Tideline Lane at Royal Bay
Use: subdivision
Address: 360-374 Tideline Lane
Municipality: Colwood
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Tideline Line at Royal Bay is a collection of eight single-family-homes at the oceanside Royal Bay community i... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tideline Lane at Royal Bay on Citified.ca      Official website: https://royalbayhomesbysouthislandhometeam.com
Photo

[Colwood] Royal Bay & Beachlands | Subdivision

• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#281 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:20 PM

That rule has been in place for decades. Stelly's did a big expansion in the 1990s to get rid of the portables and they were all back and then some once the expansion was complete. Many such cases. Sad.

Edited by PraiseKek, 20 March 2018 - 12:20 PM.

• RFS likes this

#282 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:41 PM

This portable thing is portrayed as this scary boogeyman, but the high school I went to had probably 20 or so portables. It was no big deal. 

#283 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,555 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:54 PM

Royal Bay was built for 800 and opened the first year (September 2015) with 850. The following year (last year) we had around 1000 and added 4 portables with only 3 in use. This year we have around 1200 and added 6 more portables for a grand total of 10 which are all in use. The so called "staff room" that we lost so it could be made a classroom was designed to be a classroom from the beginning. Since we only had 850 the first year there was some lee-way on changing room's intended purposes.

The new addition will actually add a third gym but will be smaller in size and match the size of our second gym. 

Our parking is already mess and now the new addition will take up the entire back parking lot but there's been some rumors (with strong sources) that the lot beside the end of our track/ turf off Ryder Hesjedal has/ will be bought by the district and turned into a large parking lot.

Oh hey, that's great. Thanks for the info.

• lehman01 likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#284 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:14 PM

This portable thing is portrayed as this scary boogeyman, but the high school I went to had probably 20 or so portables... 

It's not so much that portable classrooms in and of themselves are bad, but it's kind of absurd to have so many at a school that has only been open for 2 years. Somebody messed up.

#285 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 03:09 PM

It's not so much that portable classrooms in and of themselves are bad, but it's kind of absurd to have so many at a school that has only been open for 2 years. Somebody messed up.

No the rules are messed up and have been for decades. You can only build a school for the current enrollment numbers.

#286 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:44 PM

Well look at the schools in Vancouver, some of them are so under populated they have to close. 

Demographics change in every area, in 30 years Royal Bay could be like Oak Bay - populated by a bunch of empty nest retirees. 

A lot easier to remove portables as the school age population dwindles in an area and increases somewhere else.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#287 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:25 AM

Well look at the schools in Vancouver, some of them are so under populated they have to close. 

Demographics change in every area, in 30 years Royal Bay could be like Oak Bay - populated by a bunch of empty nest retirees. 

A lot easier to remove portables as the school age population dwindles in an area and increases somewhere else.

The school by my place in Richmond is at 19% capacity  :o

#288 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

I'm attending a sales presentation for the 2nd phase of townhomes on April 14th. If I learn anything interesting I'll post it here.

This phase will be on the north side of Latoria, east side of the long park/walking paths.

Edited by Mattjvd, 06 April 2018 - 05:27 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#289 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:26 AM

Our parking is already mess and now the new addition will take up the entire back parking lot but there's been some rumors (with strong sources) that the lot beside the end of our track/ turf off Ryder Hesjedal has/ will be bought by the district and turned into a large parking lot.

Not sure why we are spending tax dollars for a parking lot.  Is there any other government authority or private business that buys land for a parking lot for employees?

However, if the parking lot is being bought with future expansion I can see that while making use of it as a temporary parking lot for now

#290 Casual Kev

Casual Kev
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 09:59 AM

This portable thing is portrayed as this scary boogeyman, but the high school I went to had probably 20 or so portables. It was no big deal. 

Problem with portables is that they have a short life while being more expensive to maintain and being more vulnerable to QoL issues. It's a solution for cash-strapped school districts facing capacity issues, but a new family-oriented neighborhood probably doesn't need to rely on them for the long haul.

#291 lehman01

lehman01
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

Not sure why we are spending tax dollars for a parking lot.  Is there any other government authority or private business that buys land for a parking lot for employees?

However, if the parking lot is being bought with future expansion I can see that while making use of it as a temporary parking lot for now

There will be no parking after the addition so they kind of have to... you could say they're just moving the lot so they can build the addition. 

Surveyors were on sight on Thursday for half the day.  

• Mike K. likes this

#292 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

^you miss my point, why are taxpayers buying land for a government employee parking lot?

#293 lehman01

lehman01
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:50 AM

It’s not just for government employees, it’s for Students, Parents, and Visitors. It’s for public use as Royal Bay has a daycare in it (run by West Shore Parks & Rec) as well as the turf field (also owned by West Shore Parks & Rec) which is used after school hours.
Where else are they supposed to park?

Edited by lehman01, 08 April 2018 - 09:51 AM.

#294 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 09:51 AM

^you miss my point, why are taxpayers buying land for a government employee parking

Because school districts refuse to charge parking for employees (or students) and thus induce a tonne of parking demand that they need to meet. The end consequence is education dollars get spent subsidizing drivers.

• Matt R. likes this

#295 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:36 AM

^well said

they can park on the street, take the bus, etc.  Do federal or provincial employees get free parking downtown, do I get free parking as a visitor to these offices, etc?  Nope, and spending several million of taxpayer money on land for a parking lot is wrong

I say when the parking lot is done install a meter at $10 a day to pay for it

• Coreyburger likes this

#296 lehman01

lehman01
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:50 AM

^well said

they can park on the street, take the bus, etc. Do federal or provincial employees get free parking downtown, do I get free parking as a visitor to these offices, etc? Nope, and spending several million of taxpayer money on land for a parking lot is wrong

I say when the parking lot is done install a meter at $10 a day to pay for it

So by the sounds of it you don’t know the area at all... but the transit in South Langford/ Colwood specifically the Latoria/ Royal Bay Area sucks. And there is no parking in the new development other then cut outs that are 1 hour max specifically for the residents. School districts have to provide parking for their schools... Royal Bay has the advantage that it’s also for public use outside of school hours so once it’s built why don’t you stop on by, park your car there, and go for a nice walk on the surrounding trails.
Also, who said it would be “several million of taxpayer money”, I didn’t realize we were building a parkade.

#297 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

You think land in this city is cheap?  what do you think that land is going to cost?

#298 lehman01

lehman01
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

For what’s planned, about 1.1 million tops for land and construction... it’s not a significant piece of land.
I don’t see the problem when you have other Secondary School with double the parking and are only for school use when Royal Bay’s lots are open 24/7

#299 lehman01

lehman01
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 11:26 AM

For what’s planned, about 1.1 million tops for land and construction... it’s not a significant piece of land.
I don’t see the problem when you have other Secondary School with double the parking and are only for school use when Royal Bay’s lots are open 24/7

#300 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:03 PM

I am not picking on Royal Bay nor you specifically, but I just believe to purchase land for a parking lot is a waste of taxpayer money especially when schools are heavily underfunded

If I was a parent there I would be asking so my child has less programs, learning instruments, etc because we needed a parking lot.  That is essentially what is happening

How would taxpayers feel if say the provincial government bought the former parking lot at 750 Pandora for employees and visitors for the Ministry of Health?

I find $1.1 million hard to believe when a new 1700 sf house on a 3876 sf lot across the street from the school is selling for $751k.  That particular lot is worth conservatively 300k.

If I want to go to Thetis Lake for the day parking isn't free either and there is no alternate parking and transit options suck

All food for thought as they say

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)