UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Tideline Lane at Royal Bay
Use: subdivision
Address: 360-374 Tideline Lane
Municipality: Colwood
Region: West Shore
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Tideline Line at Royal Bay is a collection of eight single-family-homes at the oceanside Royal Bay community i... (view full profile)
Learn more about Tideline Lane at Royal Bay on Citified.ca      Official website: https://royalbayhomesbysouthislandhometeam.com
Photo

[Colwood] Royal Bay & Beachlands | Subdivision

• Please log in to reply
513 replies to this topic

#81 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

Looks like a "trial balloon" to me. There wasn't much meat to the story. Just someone who has a great idea but they don't even own the land and the land owner was un avialable at press time. Not sure why it even merits a front page placement as it is all a dream until someone puts up the money.

I am not sure it would work well because of weather. There is currently one commuter ferry in this region and it does get cancelled from time to time because of weather and it runs in much more sheltered waters in Esquimalt Harbour.

The commuter ferry would have to have better than 99.5% certainty, ie no more than one day a year lost and ideally only every other year. I suspect this route would suffer cancellations once a month in the winter months and this would discourage a lot of users.

Also, if it is not part of BC Transit the cost would be too high for people to want to use it.

Thinking of that, imagine if BC Transit operated a small ferry service from the Tillicum bridge all the way out to Shoal point with stops in between. I think there would be demand for it. They could do it in partnership with the Harbour Ferries

#82 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 02:57 PM

I am not sure it would work well because of weather. There is currently one commuter ferry in this region and it does get cancelled from time to time because of weather and it runs in much more sheltered waters in Esquimalt Harbour

I agree. A marina in this location is totally exposed to the southeaster that come in during the winter. A breakwater will only slightly reduce the storm surge, and windage on exposed masts will create havoc.

Commuters who think they can ride across this stretch into Victoria Harbour on a small ferry exposed to waves on the beam during a strong westerly or southeaster, will need strong stomachs

#83 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

There was a piece on the marina and commuter ferry on A channel news a couple of days ago. The ferry they are looking at is 120' long so not really a small ferry, capable of carrying 300 people.

http://www.atv.ca/vi...4994_76089.aspx
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#84 Fairbanks

Fairbanks
  • 555 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:05 AM

Great article about the sale of Royal Bay (former gravel pit) in Colwood.

http://www.timescolo...8261/story.html

#85 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

I didn't know the pension company owned all that stuff. Huh...
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#86 14 West

14 West
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Lots of activity here today.

A few dozen excavators, graders, dump trucks, you name it... A bunch of signs up explaining what they are doing. Working on both sides of Metchosin road, they appear to be getting things ready for lots. There is also a sign with this development: http://parksideatroyalbay.ca/

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

I wonder why nothing has yet been built on the gravel pit-proper and so far only the perimeter of the site has been developed?

In my opinion this is by far one of the best development locations on the west shore. When the Royal Bay site really picks up and the waterfront amenities are built this will become a very desirable place to live and do business.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#88 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

I wonder why nothing has yet been built on the gravel pit-proper and so far only the perimeter of the site has been developed?

In my opinion this is by far one of the best development locations on the west shore. When the Royal Bay site really picks up and the waterfront amenities are built this will become a very desirable place to live and do business.

Which is why they should become a resdiential neighborhood of Langford in the way of amalgamation

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

What purpose would amalgamation serve with respect to this one project?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

New Activity in Royal Bay

The transformation begins

The owner of the Royal Bay lands has begun grading to prepare the site for development, control soil erosion and rehabilitate the land. Once this work is complete in late 2013, the site will be seeded to transform it from a gravel pit to a grassland, and will bring Colwood one step closer to creating a vibrant new oceanfront village at Royal Bay.
What to expect during this work

The City is working with the owner to ensure that every effort is made to minimize disruption to the neighbourhood. There may be minor delays on Metchosin Road where trucks and equipment are crossing from one side of the site to the other.

During the work, neighbouring properties may notice an increase in the amount of dust kicked up from the site. While it is very difficult to control dust, particularly in this oceanfront location where the wind is often strong, the City has required that the developer use dust control methods wherever possible.

http://www.colwood.c...ivity-royal-bay
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:19 PM

According to the link a new secondary school will begin construction this month near the waterfront portion and a performing arts centre is also in the planning stage. It's good to see things progressing on this project after years of very little activity.

Know it all.

#92 LJ

LJ
  • 12,719 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:20 AM

^As far as I know the school site is not on the waterfront side, it is at the base of the hill of the existing development with access from Latoria Road.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#93 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

Today at Royal Bay.

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:51 PM

I like that sign!

#95 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,776 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

I like that sign!

+1 that is awesome.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#96 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

It's just like signs used at construction sites in New York City - https://maps.google....257.98,,2,13.25

#97 weisguy86

weisguy86
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Just drove by the "gravel pit" yesterday for the first time months... incredible to see all of those piles o dirt, gravel and sand gone, the entire site almost level and soo many machines hustling around to make it all happen.

#98 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,420 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

Those tiny machines you can see in weisguy's photos are in actuality MASSIVE but their size is lost in the scale that is Royal Bay.

Know it all.

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,645 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:53 PM

...Royal Bay (Colwood)...is ideal for Westhills type of housing.

I agree, after all it's already completely devoid of vegetation which seems to be the goal of the clearcut standard at Westhills.

#100 jdsony

jdsony
  • 49 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 04:18 PM

I know this is just prep phase but do they have any road improvements (other than within the development) for the traffic it will bring? Do they have any plans for commercial/mixed use? Any potential employers other than the usual Starbucks or Tim Hortons?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users