Oak Bay

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#41 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:58 PM

Saying orange is a bad colour for architecture is like saying zucchini is a bad vegetable. It's all in the execution!

(Sorry, Scaper!)

As for tudor...yeesh! Can't we finally shake this tired old fakery?

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=EDe7NCMK3Xo:fe7c6]This[/url:fe7c6] is the only tudor that rocks! Ah, I love the 80s!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#42 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:08 PM

No I am not from Oak Bay.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#43 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:28 PM

Holden, you left the "h" off the beginning of your link. Do put it in, the sword must find its target...

G-Man, thank your stars! Never forget [url=http://www.bbcamerica.com/genre/drama_mysteries/the_prisoner/the_prisoner.jsp:5c359]The Prisoner[/url:5c359]. They have those white ball bubbles in OB, you know, and not even 1000 Swords can prick 'em!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#44 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:17 PM

Saying orange is a bad colour for architecture is like saying zucchini is a bad vegetable. It's all in the execution!

(Sorry, Scaper!)

As for tudor...yeesh! Can't we finally shake this tired old fakery?

[url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=EDe7NCMK3Xo:a7ba0]This[/url:a7ba0] is the only tudor that rocks! Ah, I love the 80s!

Zucchini hater!!!! :-x

#45 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:20 AM

$2 million seems like a lot of money for that building, does anyone know how many square feet it is?

#46 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:09 AM

I am not an Oak Bayer. I am a free man!

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#47 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

Here's that cartoon from 1965 again...

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#48 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:25 PM

Just drove by it this morning. Has anybody actually seen it in person?
It is huge!

#49 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:57 PM

I wonder if the third floor is used for anything. Why not put dormers in the roof?

#50 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:44 PM

It would look better with some dormers.

How did this building cost $2 million? It seems very basic to me.

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:58 PM

I'm no construction expert, but 2 mil seems like a bargain to me considering the heavy duty requirements like showers and changerooms etc--it's going to have a different degree of finish than your basic residential house.

#52 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:28 PM

It is huge!

It's not huge. It's the same footprint as the previous building (below) which was an eyesore given it's French Mansard-like roofline. Dormers, no thanks.

#53 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

I would think it has very little finishing.

No hardwood floors, carpet, moulding, expensive countertops, etc...

Why would changerooms cost much money? It's a room with a bench around the wall, maybe some hooks on the walls to hang clothes on.

I looked in the window, it's very basic inside.

#54 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:51 PM

Dormers, no thanks.

You don't like dormers?

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:03 PM

It is huge!

It's not huge. It's the same footprint as the previous building (below) which was an eyesore given it's French Mansard-like roofline. Dormers, no thanks.

Huge is a subjective term.

#56 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

I don't think the new pavillion reflects the character of Oak Bay much at all.

The peaked roof is the only thing Oak Bay about it, and maybe the wood shingles...maybe.

One of the worst things about it is how many different materials and colours they used. What is this awful new trend of using so many different materials and colours? It almost always ends up looking stupid. Like Mr Potato Head.

The best looking houses I see almost always have just 2 main materials and 2 colours.

Have you ever seen a website that uses 4 different fonts in 4 different colours? Looks like crap. The same is generally true of houses.

#57 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

Three colours is often preferred in order to provide a more harmonious combination--a light main colour, a medium-value secondary colour and a darker, more intense colour for trim. You often see this on restored Victorian houses.

Compare it to two notes played simultaneously on a piano or three notes.

Of course, they can't be any three colours--they have to harmonize just like you can't hit three random keys on the piano and expect a pleasant chord.

(Yes, I am an expert! ;) )

Corazon uses many different materials and it is highly regarded for its look.

#58 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

Here's an example of too many materials and colours

#59 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:41 PM

Hmm, I don't know that it's the colours & materials that make the house look awkward, but rather the proportions (quite high off the ground, with elongated first / ground floor [which happens to include the high basement]) and weird mix of traditional references (muntins, peaked roof, "Cape Cod" elements) coupled with a stripped down modernity (stuccoed "pillar" [?], metal roofed "faux" canopies suggesting awnings, etc.).

This house -- was it lifted? Look at how far below the second storey floorline the garage roof is?

For me, it's the structure more than the colours and materials, which are just afterthoughts in the bigger scheme of things.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#60 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

Dormers, no thanks.

You don't like dormers?

Dormers, as a general concept, are fine if they have a function but what purpose would they serve here? If you're suggesting putting useless dormers on a building to tart it up, I'm not in favour.

I don't think the new pavillion reflects the character of Oak Bay much at all. The peaked roof is the only thing Oak Bay about it, and maybe the wood shingles...maybe.

Isn't that a good thing? Welcome to the new Oak Bay and the 21st century.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users