Photo

Leigh Road Interchange and Bear Mountain Parkway

• Please log in to reply
514 replies to this topic

#101 Fergus

Fergus
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:39 AM

The road from Bare Mountain down to the overpass is mostly already there. Once completed there will be homes built all along the side of skirt mountain with views overlooking Langford lake and the West-Hills project on the other side. On the up side; the Langford trolley will be able to do a loop instead of backtracking.

Indeed, and despite all the smokescreens, it seems that increasing development at Bear Mountain is the real reason for adding this interchange, not safety or congestion relief as the proponents claim.

#102 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:06 PM

Bear Mountain isn't the only development out that way. On the other side of Hwy1 there will be 10x20-30 story towers & 20000 more people, if the Westhills thread is anything to go by.

#103 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

IF they are built.

#104 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

IF they are built.

So much for positive thinking and lets get this all built so we can all live happily ever after in our little piece of paradise we all call home!!!!

#105 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:16 PM

The road from Bare Mountain down to the overpass is mostly already there. Once completed there will be homes built all along the side of skirt mountain with views overlooking Langford lake and the West-Hills project on the other side. On the up side; the Langford trolley will be able to do a loop instead of backtracking.

This is good I like that trolley idea also,unfortunately i don`t think I could afford a lot on the side of Skirt mountain overlooking the lake.

#106 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

So much for positive thinking and lets get this all built so we can all live happily ever after in our little piece of paradise we all call home!!!!

Given recent delays or pending cancellations of large local projects, positive thinking might not help against a continuing escalation of construction costs and a decreasing demand for condos.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#107 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:51 PM

Looking north across the highway

#108 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:33 PM

where is that? doesn't look like spencer rd....

#109 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 09:39 PM

where is that? doesn't look like spencer rd....

That would be the Spencer Rd. interchange, which is north of Spencer Rd. on TC1, no? A ways south of Finlayson Arm Rd., but north of Spencer?

Edit: I put the "?" in my comment b/c the "highway" doesn't look like TransCanada 1 -- it looks so narrow. But that could be foreshortening?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#110 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:53 PM

Yup, about 100 meters north of Spencer Road. The portion of highway we're looking at would be the three-lane portion north of Spencer which is thinner than the freeway portion of the highway.

Thanks for the photos, Ressen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#111 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:45 PM

This is how close the cave is to where the road will be.

They have welded some re-bar over the hole and put a lock on the original cover.

This is what is left from one of the tree hugger dens.

#112 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 09:13 PM

^Thanks for the pics, ressen.

#113 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 10:09 PM

is that really a cave & not a mine shaft? I had no idea it was so close to the highway!

#114 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:22 AM

is that really a cave & not a mine shaft? I had no idea it was so close to the highway!

I crawled through and looked at it,my first thought was the water runoff from the hillside started to erode all the gravel from around the bit of limestone rock there and the water filtered out through the gravel and collects in the low area which is called the pond, when we get our good weather here it all dries up.
Really don`t see what all the fuss is about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

#115 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:34 AM

It must add quite an expense to move the road over to miss the cave, as the material needed to bring the road to grade will now need to be trucked in rather than simply dragging it off the hillside.

#116 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 04:57 PM

It must add quite an expense to move the road over to miss the cave, as the material needed to bring the road to grade will now need to be trucked in rather than simply dragging it off the hillside.

You don`t simply drag it off the hillside to build a road out of it,that would have to much organic soil in the material.
It must all be hauled off of the road rite of way and replaced with blasted rock for good ballast material and compacted to Ministry of Transportation specifications.
It takes a lot of engineering to get it done properly.
I believe they are moving in the right direction.
Let`s get it done.
After that we can build light rail from Langford to Downtown Victoria.

#117 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:14 AM

Once the overburden is removed the rock is blasted and put trough a mobile crushing plant and then used as close to its source as possible. If you look at the pictures (and other local road construction) you will notice that the roads don't always follow the flattest terrain as the builders factor in how much rock fill that will be needed and carve it out of the nearest rock. This would have been the case near the cave too but I suspect that they now went a little more to the West on the rock across the highway to make up the shortfall near the cave. This material will probably be trucked right across the highway by large dump trucks which adds an expense and an inconvenience both for the builder and the traveling public.

#118 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:18 AM

If everyone drove an electric car; would we still be as upset about Bare Mountain and road infrastructure in general?

#119 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:23 PM

If everyone drove an electric car; would we still be as upset about Bare Mountain and road infrastructure in general?

Yes.

#120 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:53 AM

Only the whiners, perenial complainers, and those that have penis envy!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users