514 replies to this topic

#121 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

This goes too far.
Stew Young, you are a bully!

Langford plans to sue highway protesters
Group should be on the hook for estimated $100,000 in policing costs, says mayor

Bill Cleverley, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Langford plans to sue a group of protesters to recover the costs of their interference in construction of the new Trans-Canada Highway interchange near Spencer Road, Mayor Stew Young says.

"It's trying to get money out of people who can't rub two nickels together, but we have to go after some of them," Young said Monday.

Langford is still negotiating with the province over who will bear the cost of a massive RCMP operation about two weeks ago in which an estimated 50 to 60 officers surrounded, and then cleared away, a tree-sit protest in the woods between Leigh Road and the highway in order to make way for the interchange.

That operation alone - in which three protesters were charged - could cost the municipality more than $100,000, Young said.

Prior to that, protesters, some covering their faces with bandanas, had turned away surveyors.

Since the operation, protesters have intermittently scaled trees and interfered with heavy equipment - sending workers home early and stopping work on the interchange that will provide secondary access to the Bear Mountain development and ease congestion on the highway.

Young said there are costs associated with the protesters' actions, and believes the municipality is within its legal rights to try to recover those costs from both the protesters themselves and the protest organizers.

"You may not be criminal, but if you put masks on and you block our surveyors and impede us ... then we can sue you for our costs. They may

not be criminally charged by the RCMP, but we're going to now go after damages," Young said.

"That's hilarious," protest organizer Zoe Blunt said yesterday when told of Langford's plans.

"I don't know what they're going to recover from people that they haven't already taken away - their backpacks, their shoes, their coats, their IDs, their wallets. I think he's beating his chest and he's trying to intimidate people."

Blunt said that unlike Young's "billionaire friends" her only asset is "a five-year-old computer." She welcomed meeting Langford's lawyers in court.

"We would like to see all the evidence of all the money that was spent and all the plans that were made and everything that had to do with the transfer of land; and all of their own assets and all of their interests they have in Bear Mountain and other resorts and other land and properties. We would like to get that all on the table," she said.

Ben Isitt, a protester and former Victoria mayoral candidate, said the move was "typical of Langford's bullying tactics to try to silence legitimate dissent."

"The campaign against the Bear Mountain interchange has been picking up steam and I think vested interests are obviously alarmed by the growing opposition so they're responding in different ways," he added.

Young said he understands that people might think the municipality is trying to intimidate protesters, but that is not the case.

"I don't want it to be a threat of a lawsuit. I'm just saying if you break the law in Langford, then I'll use whatever resources are then under the law to make sure that I recover some of the costs to the residents of Langford," he said.

bcleverley@tc.canwest.com

#122 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

I wish that someone would have protested and put a stop to the overpasses on the Pat Bay highway at Royal Oak and at Quadra Street. These overpasses have contributed to urban sprawl and the cops hide behind them while doing radar patrols.

#123 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 03:40 PM

^Now you're just being ridiculous.
That kind of twisted logic is just an annoying attempt to deflect from the issues.
Besides, as I have said in the BM thread, there's no logic in justifying the imperfections of the past with new ones. There are legitimate alternatives that should have been considered before this overpass.
I really think you're insulting the intelligence of people here. I mean, do you actually think that people against this interchange, might not have seen the flaws in what had happened in the past as well?

Anyway. About this lawsuit. I really is stupid for many reasons. The silliness is highlighted by the fact that it was Stew Young and his lackeys that had decided to send 50+ police to the site to deal with 5 or 6 treehuggers. The citizens of Langford are the ones whom should be suing him for his stupidity.

#124 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

Actually the point that I was trying to make is that the overpasses on the Pat bay work extremely well at easing the flow of traffic and that looking back on them its a good thing they were built when they were and I'm sure that in future the same will hold true for the Spencer Rd. overpass too. I love being able to drive my car wherever I please and I hope that we never stop improving traffic flows but I do wish that all cars were zero emission.

#125 Ron

Ron
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:00 PM

I for one am in favour of the lawsuit. This will keep the issue alive and there will be lots of opportunities of discovery of documents which might be quite interesting on what it reveals about why the interchange was such a pressing affair. A successful lawsuit will be hard to collect on given that debtors in BC are allowed to keep old cars, personal effects, even limited home equity etc. etc.

#126 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

I for one am in favour of the lawsuit. This will keep the issue alive and there will be lots of opportunities of discovery of documents which might be quite interesting on what it reveals about why the interchange was such a pressing affair. A successful lawsuit will be hard to collect on given that debtors in BC are allowed to keep old cars, personal effects, even limited home equity etc. etc.

I seem to recall an article in the Goldstream News back in Nov 2007 with Zoe Blunt smiling away as she is hanging from a climbing harness.
The article stated that the Forest Action Network which I am assuming is Vancouver Island Community Forest Action Network [VIC FAN],who knows what they are calling themselves today!
The article stated that they have received financial support from Mountain Equipment Co-op.

Just a thought but can any compensation come from these companies or corporations that groups like this receive funding through ?
If the City of Langford would go that route to try and recover some money,that would make for some interesting times on this forum.

Just my thought for the day.:)

#127 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 06:43 PM

Yep, MEC gave a grant to Vancouver Island Community Forest Action Network of $4400 for "advocacy and education".
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#128 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:58 PM

Yep, MEC gave a grant to Vancouver Island Community Forest Action Network of $4400 for "advocacy and education".

Advocacy: 1:act of pleading for or supporting as a proposal or policy: 2:intercession: defense.

Education:??????????

Just who is getting educated here?

#129 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:48 PM

Well, I was educated to the fact that if you wear a bandanna on your face while ignoring an injunction you will be given an additional charge of wearing a disguise. I also learned the best way to bust a window in a police cruiser is to lay on your back and give 'er with both feet.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#130 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:12 PM

Well, I was educated to the fact that if you wear a bandanna on your face while ignoring an injunction you will be given an additional charge of wearing a disguise. I also learned the best way to bust a window in a police cruiser is to lay on your back and give 'er with both feet.

Never been back there myself but I`ll take yer word for it. Ha Ha

#131 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

Two protesters arrested in suburban Langford for blocking Bear Mountain interchange

Canwest News Service
Published: Wednesday, February 27, 2008

GREATER VICTORIA - The threat of criminal charges and lawsuits didn't deter at least two protesters who were arrested Tuesday after blocking work crews trying to cut trees to make way for a new interchange on the Trans-Canada Highway.

A woman was charged with mischief and a man faced a variety of charges.

West Shore RCMP Const. RCMP Const. Tasha Adams said they had been warned to leave, and Langford Mayor Stew Young has threatened to sue protesters who block the project.

etc

http://www.canada.co...29e2b1a&k=70352

#132 Jonny Quest

Jonny Quest
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 11:03 PM

From a February 18 council meeting, Langford councillor Denise Blackwell flips the bird to some interchange protesters.:D

Blackwell said she simply had had enough of rude remarks and sounds coming from a woman in the audience. She lost her cool and made the gesture.

"I knew it was going to come back to me as soon as I did it. How unparliamentary," Blackwell said. "I knew we were getting videoed. It wasn't like I didn't know they were doing that. I had just had enough."

http://www.canada.co...e64c203e&k=8640

#133 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 08:28 AM

Good for her

#134 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

Good for her?
I've been to council meetings where these sorts of chaotic scenes erupt by the crowd. While I would imagine these protesters were probably antagonizing council in the hope of getting such a response, and while I think such tactics are unfair and a form of aggression, Blackwell should have never have done this. As a politician, you have the advantage that you are in the position of power. You should therefore accept that people will not always agree with your decision and sometimes voice those opinions in unreasonable ways. Knee jerk responses such as giving people the finger when you are a member of council, is beyond inappropriate. Everything about being a politician is about how you deal with the public. You fail there, you fail, period.
It screams to the general public: "F*ck you! I'm in the driver's seat, and you're a bug on my windshield."
I'm not saying I might not have been tempted to do the same thing, but I'm not a member of council. I hope she's ashamed of what she's done.

#135 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

In this age of political correctness it's refreshing to see some human emotion.

Given the barrage of insults, ridicule and complaints the average councillor deals with on a routine basis this flip of the finger is a reminder to us all that our elected officials are no less human than you or I.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#136 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

From March's Focus Magazine.
Sorry if it's tough reading it. Just cut and paste to an image program so you can zoom the images.

#137 Maverick

Maverick
  • 129 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:53 PM

From March's Focus Magazine.
Sorry if it's tough reading it. Just cut and paste to an image program so you can zoom the images.

*Edited by moderator - removed Focus Magazine Article since it is duplicated and rather long*

Gee Gumgum you keep digging up reading material like this you are going to have to change your handle to Zoe2 or maybe Zoe1 or maybe just plain ole Zoe.!!!!!!!!!!!

#138 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:21 PM

^ Yeah not even close...

Obviously you don't read focus. But it is one of the most pro urban development magazines around. Actually it is just a great magazine and I am surprised that I don't even have to pay for it.

This is not some leftist enviro journal it is very balanced.

#139 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

That's the second person people have a accused me of being today.

#140 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

Baah, we all know gumgum is Tim van Alstine.

May I remind you that "Sam Williams" is a pseudonym for persons unknown.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users