Canada Line train unveiled

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 07:42 PM

Sounds like the trains are even nicer than the ones already in the system, but it's too bad that they're not compatible with the existing tracks. So it looks like there will be two separate Skytrain systems in Vancouver. (unless I misunderstand something)

Features of the Canada Line vehicles include wide aisles between seats for smooth passenger flow; a walkway between vehicles; greater accessibility for wheelchairs, strollers and bicycles; passenger silent alarm; emergency passenger-operated intercom panels; air-conditioned interiors; high visibility electronic "Next Station" signs in each train; high visibility electronic "Destination" signs on the outside of each train; a public address system announcing next stations; modern vandal-resistant finishes; and fully automated and driverless operations.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/...07/07-h241e.htm

(I wonder why there are no pics? I looked on the Canada Line & BC Ministry of Tranpsortation sites & couldn't find any on there either. The renderings look cool.)

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 02:13 PM

There is a pic in the TC

#3 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 December 2007 - 08:44 PM

Plenty of photos here http://forum.skyscra...ad.php?t=142888

#4 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 December 2007 - 06:29 PM

Looks more like a glorified subway car. Hopefully after all this hoopla around the Canada Line is over in 2009, the government can send REAL money to help our transportation needs here on the island.

#5 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:49 PM

This media hoopla and money spent on yet another aspect of the Olympic circus, sickens me. More money was spent on simply "unveiling" a Canada line train than the province has spent on transportation in Victoria in the past 5 years. Why is the pot always full when Vancouver wants more frills and always empty when Victoria (and the rest of BC) needs anything? Quite clearly the haves continue to get while the have-nots are left to beg for scraps that may fall off the big boys table.

#6 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:00 PM

This media hoopla and money spent on yet another aspect of the Olympic circus, sickens me. More money was spent on simply "unveiling" a Canada line train than the province has spent on transportation in Victoria in the past 5 years. Why is the pot always full when Vancouver wants more frills and always empty when Victoria (and the rest of BC) needs anything? Quite clearly the haves continue to get while the have-nots are left to beg for scraps that may fall off the big boys table.

Simple, we all voted NDP on the island except for 2 ridings in the CRD (well not that really mattered in the first term of the Liberals anyway, when the island went all liberal).

#7 davek

davek
  • 670 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:26 AM

Government always acts in the fashion that best serves itself. Some feel that government could manage things fine if only the right people would get elected, but the incentives to misbehave are too strong. This is an obvious truth, yet you will see, over and over, citizens calling on government to solve all problems. We would all enjoy greater happiness and prosperity if government was reduced, and civil society restored.

#8 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 07:44 AM

I disagree because at some point governments have to look at the next election and not too many liberal hopefuls are going to able to walk around the island saying look at all we have done for you. So then the NDP wins again which is fine by me by the way.

#9 van-island

van-island
  • 92 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:42 PM

Too bad the capacity of the trains is so limited.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users