• 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:25 PM

Coming soon to Fernwood: Boom Boom Room II :lol:

Pub's new owners plan to restore Fernwood icon
Article Tools
Printer friendly
Font: * * * * Darron Kloster, Times Colonist
Published: Saturday, August 19, 2006
The new owners of the George & Dragon in Fernwood plan to refurbish the landmark pub and apartments in the style of Swans Hotel downtown.

Jeffrey and Chris Wilson say they want to return the 1910 building to its former heritage glory and bring back its former name, the Fernwood Inn.

"We see it as very Swan-esque ... powder yellow paint and black trim, lots of flowerpots and bottom-up lighting," Jeffrey Wilson said Friday.

"It's a beautiful Tudor-style building and the centre point of a very unique neighbourhood."

The Wilsons, both long involved in the local nightclub and restaurant scene, bought the building this month for $1.4 million from Al and Dale Sproule, owners for the past 12 years.

The renovation is already underway. Wilson would not reveal construction costs, but called them "substantial."

An opening date is set for early October.

The pub will cover the entire ground floor. The corner shop at Fernwood Road and Gladstone Avenue -- most recently home to a kilt manufacturing shop and prior to that a hair salon -- will be incorporated into the pub plan as the main entrance. Large windows are being installed at street level and the patio and brick barbecue will be rebuilt as part of the pub and for Sunday brunches. All heritage qualities of the building -- which had an addition in 1982 -- will be uncovered or enhanced, from tin roofing to hardwood floors, said Wilson.

The eight apartments above the pub will be maintained and refurbished as tenants move in and out, he added.

"I've never been involved in something that's been so strongly embraced by the community and city council," said Wilson, adding he and Chris plan a block party and pig roast before the opening to show appreciation to the neighbourhood. The pub, kitty-corner from the Belfry Theatre and a stone's throw from Vic High, has been the centre of the Fernwood neighbourhood for nearly a century.

The Wilsons roll decades of experience into the project. Jeffrey has been involved in the Boom Boom Room, Diesel Cabaret, Al Capone's and Wasteland while Chris, a Real Seal chef, has worked at 6 Mile Pub, opened the Sticky Wicket, and was recently with Amelia Street Bistro.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 03:24 PM

So basically little of importance is changing except that the price will go way up?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 05:06 PM

So basically little of importance is changing except that the price will go way up?

...and every Saturday night is Ladies Night... 2 male exotic dancers

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Spurtz

Spurtz
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:24 PM

This place would be better off dead. The neighborhood cannot support that sort of business and the volumes it needs to survive. Where are patrons gonna park?

I have been in Victoria a long time now, and that location is a demographic nightmare. Either someone has a lot of money to burn, or someone didn't bother to do their homework.

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:29 AM

Don't you think there is the density in the neighbourhood to support it without driving there. When I lived at Fernwood and Bay Street I went there all the time. Now that I don't live quite as close I don't go.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 11:52 AM

Apparently the Wilson bros did quite well when they flipped this. It's always busy when ever I'm there.

I'm locking this thread, continue discussing here: http://vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=574
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users