Photo

What should Victoria be doing to prepare for 2010?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

EDMONTON - The Alberta government is creating an Olympic Secretariat to help the province reap the benefits from its proximity to the Vancouver Olympics, a minister said Wednesday.

Cindy Ady, associate Minister of Tourism Promotion, said the province is setting up the organization to take advantage of the fact that Alberta's world-class training facilities, a legacy of the 1988 Calgary Games, are going to be in the spotlight in the two years leading up to 2010 Winter Olympics.

http://www.canada.co...9c-efda52586514

It's an utter disgrace that Alberta is doing that & Victoria isn't. How often does something like the Olympic Games come to this region? Alberta's government understands that it's an opportunity that other cities can only dream of, but for some reason Victoria's doesn't. I can just hear people going to the Olympics & saying "What do you mean Vancouver isn't the capital of BC? Really? ... but the capital is only a 1 1/2 hr ferry ride away?!"

#2 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:02 PM

But are u surprised?

All the energy that goes into the *****ing from the NIMBYs, CAVEs and BANANAs regarding any changes to the city. I keep on hearing what they dont want, so what do they want?
The complete lack of motivation, vision and leadership from our local mlas (NDP and Liberal), mayors and council members when it comes to bring in positive change.
There are several areas in the city core that sit vacant and rotting from disuse.
Look what has happened to several events that have been cancelled.
The complete lack of coordination of region planning among the 14 districts, municipalities, towns and cities.

Until this has been dealt with, I cant see our city taking advantage of the Olympics coming in 2 years.

Hopefully I can be proven wrong.

#3 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

The complete lack of motivation, vision and leadership from our local mlas (NDP and Liberal), mayors and council members when it comes to bring in positive change.
There are several areas in the city core that sit vacant and rotting from disuse.
Look what has happened to several events that have been cancelled.
The complete lack of coordination of region planning among the 14 districts, municipalities, towns and cities.

Some sort of agreement like an MoU between the 13 municipalities, the CRD, local MLAs, local MPs & local native groups could fix that. It could say all the governments commit to preparing for Victoria's 150th, for example (whatever that means). A memorandum of understanding isn't necessarily legally binding and there's no penalty for one party unilaterally withdrawing, so it's less formal than a contract. All it does is say that everybody who signs it agrees to work towards some goal & basically not to screw over the other people who sign it. I think something like that would go a long way to getting the region to work as a unit, as least on one big issue anyway.

Until this has been dealt with, I cant see our city taking advantage of the Olympics coming in 2 years.

Hopefully I can be proven wrong.

I think it's definitely possible, even though Victoria doesn't have the resources of the Alberta government. The stuff brought up earlier for the sesquicentenary won't be done by 2010 but there's no reason Victoria can't still promote itself as the capital of the province Vancouver is in, for example. All it takes is a change of mindset. Maybe if the city decides to make something of its 150th birthday tourists who come here in 2010 will see Victoria has its own "olympics" we're prepping for. Some projects could be done in time for 2010 & others not. I can't believe Victoria hasn't been doing more though.

#4 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

If the leadership isn't coming from above maybe it needs to come from the bottom. And that said... I think I am going to make another thread for this discussion.

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:39 AM

Urbanrail's right. Our leaders would wrap the entire thing in bureaucracy and red tape before it even left the ground.

#6 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:50 PM

So who among us is running for municipal office to correct all this intransigence?

#7 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:18 PM

To age 30 years in the span of three?

No thanks ;)

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

You couldn't pay me enough. I once was asked about running and spent three sleepless nights with a black hole where my stomach used to be. Hell no!

But really, we don't need that initiative to come from the City, in fact it might be a problem if it was... which businesses, and which sectors get promoted and which don't get the same limelight. It would devolve into squabbling in no time.

We have good minds here, and more heads to put together than any committee. Let's brainstorm this. As far as the appropriate organization to carry it out, I'd suggest a coalition of Chambers of Commerce and Business Associations from all municipalities, along with Tourism Victoria.

#9 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 04:37 PM

What Mike & Caramia said. Run for office? No thanks!

On another note, and maybe off this topic, but sort of related in the sense that it's about finding money for projects, has Victoria ever done anything like the following?

Friday, January 04, 2008
Kelowna Considers Community Bonds to Support Aquatic Centre Financing

By City of Kelowna

KELOWNA - The City of Kelowna is gauging interest in a Community Bond Issue to support financing for the $46 million Mission Recreation Park Aquatic Centre. An on-line survey has been launched on www.kelowna.ca.

"We're looking at Community Bonds as a way the City can reduce its financing costs for the aquatic centre while offering residents a secure investment and an opportunity to support community recreation," says Lynn Walter, Financial Projects Manager. "If the survey results are positive, we would look at raising $2 million through a Community Bond Issue."

The Municipal Finance Authority of B.C. oversees the Community Bond Program. Open to all B.C. residents, community bonds provide a guaranteed rate of return over a five-year locked-in term. Interest is paid out twice per year. The bonds are also eligible for self-directed RRSPs.

"Rates for community bonds are similar to high interest savings accounts, GICs or Canada Savings Bonds," says Walter. "The City would set the final interest rate at the time the bonds were issued."

B.C. communities of Sointula, Warfield, New Denver and Montrose have had successful bond offers. At $2 million, Kelowna's bond offering would be the province's largest.

As an incentive to take the on-line survey, the City will make a draw for a $500 gift certificate for the new pool and water park opening in 2009.

The survey can also be accessed through castanet.net. Residents have until January 15 to let their views be heard.

http://www.civicinfo...asp?newsid=2515

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#10 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:35 PM

Victoria should do the same thing it is doing to prepare for 2009 and 2011. In other words, nothing, since I really don't think the Winter Olympics in Vancouver will make much difference to us in Victoria regardless of what we do. I also think the Edmontonians that are preparing their city for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver are optimistic to the point of being delusional. You mean, some people there actually think that people going to Vancouver will travel over 500 miles northeast to see what? A big mall and some snow? Good luck with that!

#11 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:39 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with attracting tourists in 2010, but Victoria should be getting ready for 2012 instead; that's Victoria's sesquicentenary. That's what this thread should be about.

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:00 AM

To the best of my knowledge Victoria's total contribution to anything even remotely related to it's 150th is the the "sprit poles" to be erected in Centennial Square. Even these are funded though provincial 2010 "legacy" funds. Also, let's face it, sticking a bunch of non-descript, or even beautiful artwork in CS is hardly going to make that place an attraction for anyone now or in 2012.

If anything else is in the cards, they are keeping very mum about it.

#13 UrbanRail

UrbanRail
  • 2,114 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

I think that transportation should be a big part of the 150th Anniversary in 2012.

Streetcars 1890 to 1948

Esquimalt & Nanaimo Rwy 1886 to present

CNR 1915 to 1990

CPR ships

The E&N will be 126 years old in 2012. THere is a strong historical link between Victoria and the railway, which I think should be celebrated.

A push to bring back the streetcar in modern form. Streetcars ran in the city and region for 58 years and played a major role in how the core has been shaped.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:48 PM

Sounds like a great idea UrbanRail, but with no forseable provincial or even regional funding we'll be lucky to get sesquicentennial dinky cars, painted like classic Victoria lamp posts.

#15 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

Victoria should do the same thing it is doing to prepare for 2009 and 2011. In other words, nothing, since I really don't think the Winter Olympics in Vancouver will make much difference to us in Victoria regardless of what we do. I also think the Edmontonians that are preparing their city for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver are optimistic to the point of being delusional. You mean, some people there actually think that people going to Vancouver will travel over 500 miles northeast to see what? A big mall and some snow? Good luck with that!

SURPRISE! :P

VANOC develops provincial and territorial program to deliver Canada's Games beyond BC

Ontario first to sign on with $5 million contribution

VANCOUVER, Jan. 26 /CNW/ - The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) today announced a Contributing Province/Territory Program (CPTP), which offers a structured avenue for all provinces and territories to participate in the 2010 Winter Games. This program provides the opportunity for all of Canada's provinces and territories to showcase their uniqueness to a global audience of approximately three billion. VANOC developed this new program in response to interest demonstrated by Canada's provinces and territories outside of BC to allow for greater involvement in the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.

Ontario, Canada's largest province, today took the lead in becoming the first to officially take part in the program, while at the same time signing a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with VANOC. In the MOU, the Government of Ontario identifies a number of potential areas of collaboration that will help VANOC successfully deliver on its mission to touch the soul of the nation and inspire the world. Under the CPTP, Ontario will invest $5 million to support Canadian athletes, participate in the Cultural Olympiad and help welcome the world in 2010.

*snip*

http://www.newswire....8/26/c4462.html

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

So if I understand correctly other provinces are basically paying VANOC to advertise their existence at the Winter Games. I wonder how much Victoria is going to have to pay?

#17 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:00 PM

Nova Scotia Formalizes Support for Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games

January 29, 2008

Nova Scotia is heading to Vancouver for the 2010 Winter Games. The province and the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) announced today that Nova Scotia's culture, innovation and athletes will be on display in 2010, when the eyes of the world will be on Vancouver – and Canada.

"The Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games are Canada's Games and offer an unparalleled opportunity to promote our province and our people," said Premier Rodney MacDonald. "We are proud to offer our support to the Games and look forward to welcoming the world."
etc etc

http://www.vancouver..._0801291048-884

#18 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:12 PM

"Nova Scotia: birthplace of Vancouverites"

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#19 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:57 AM

Any day now I expect the government of Zimbabwe to get in on the 2010 Olympics as well.

This is gone from slightly silly to beyond absurd.

#20 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:14 PM

the capital of Canada is doing something, maybe the capital of the province that Vancouver is in should also?

Ottawa Counting Down to the Games
February 6, 2008

Sports and timing go hand-in-hand. Today in Ottawa, the Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games (VANOC) and the Government of Canada, a major partner of the 2010 Winter Games, unveiled the Vancouver 2010 Countdown Clock in Ottawa at the Capital Infocentre, located across from Parliament Hill.

The timing for the unveiling couldn’t be better as Ottawa’s famed Winterlude, or Bal de Neige, celebrations are in full party mode.

Just prior to the clock event, James Moore, Member of Parliament for the riding of Port Moody—Westwood—Port Coquitlam, issued a statement in the House of Commons prior to Question Period declaring the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games to be Canada’s Games, and inviting all Canadians to join in welcoming the world in 2010.

“Let us all be inspired by the power of the Olympic and Paralympic Games – the power to promote friendship and respect, stir dreams and tell a story about our country and our people,” said Moore, who also serves as the Parliamentary Secretary for the Pacific Gateway and the Vancouver-Whistler Olympics.
etc

http://www.vancouver..._0802061454-484

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users