• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:19 AM

What do you all think of this?

Our ever-evolving Downtown is playing host to an increasing number of dining and entertainment establishments, which naturally draw a large portion of their clientele during evening hours. Residents and visitors alike enjoy the charm of twilight hours in the Downtown when the sun goes down and lights are turned on in public spaces and on many of our buildings. We continue to work with the City in looking at ways in which to make our Downtown evenings even more appealing. To this end, we are currently exploring with City staff the opportunity of developing a strategy for creating well-illuminated pedestrian promenades ("Corridors of Light") the length of Douglas, Government, and Wharf/Store streets - from Belleville to Chatham - and along the south side of the Inner Harbour on Belleville Street.

I'm not so sure taxing a whole bunch of businesses to give the money to a few is a good way to do this kind of thing...

http://www.downtownv...f/corridors.pdf
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:22 AM

It would seem that the city is trying to pawn of some of its job onto local businesses. Shouldn't all streets downtown be well lit and inviting at night?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:44 AM

^ Well, the City is limited on how much it can do with existing poles etc... attaching lights to the side of buildings is a lot cheaper..
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:03 AM

Getting businesses involved would allow them to tailor the design of the light fixtures to their own buildings rather than use generic city lights.

I understand your criticisms. I think it's a good program, though.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:16 AM

The amount of taxes Victorian's and Victoria's businesses pay should pay for these sorts of programs if demand for them exists. Tax payers and business owners are already footing the bill for the regions social ills, major entertainment venues, downtown policing, beautification, etc, and now these same businesses and tax payers are being asked for more money?

Perhaps if the City hadn't lost millions in lawsuits over the last year thanks to renegging on development approvals or underselling the Dockside lands we wouldn't be in this position!?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:29 AM

Bring on the neon!

#7 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:46 AM

Grants of up to $5000, to a maximum of 20% of the cost of approved work, are available for the installation of lighting which enhances the appearance of a building and/or better illuminates a property to improve security.

The emphasis seems to be on lighting for security proposes (however you define that) as opposed to making an interesting architectural statement. Still, I'm a big fan of illuminating the outside of buildings to highlight the architecture. There's a lot of great detail that people never see because they never look up.

In the spring, there was talk of replacing the [url=http://islandnet.com/~ringuett/prism/report/prisms.htm:e59e3]glass prisms[/url:e59e3] in the downtown sidewalks (below, Yarrow Building at 624 Broughton Street) and lighting them from the underside. I haven't heard anything about that plan lately but it shoud dovetail into this DVBA plan.

Moving slightly off topic, I have seen architecture that runs with the illumination idea and makes a great statement. A [url=http://www.klein-dytham.com/architecture/cats_eyes.php:e59e3]Foret clothing store[/url:e59e3] in Tokyo is covered with reflective pavement markers that capture the moving light of traffic. I think its pretty amazing. Maybe Dots on Fort Street could rework their exterior treatment?

#8 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:05 AM

Some of the streets downtown are really really dark at night...as Renthefinn would say....NOT very pedestrian friendly!!!

#9 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:11 AM

In the spring, there was talk of replacing the [url=http://islandnet.com/~ringuett/prism/report/prisms.htm:d61f9]glass prisms[/url:d61f9] in the downtown sidewalks (below, Yarrow Building at 624 Broughton Street) and lighting them from the underside. I haven't heard anything about that plan lately but it shoud dovetail into this DVBA plan.

I'm pretty sure they weren't talking about replacing the glass prisms - those prism are heritage I think. They were just talking about adding lighting underneath.

#10 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 09:37 AM

they have those purple blocks on van ness in san francisco aswell. however theirs are much bigger.

#11 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:17 AM

In the spring, there was talk of replacing the [url=http://islandnet.com/~ringuett/prism/report/prisms.htm:1fbdc]glass prisms[/url:1fbdc] in the downtown sidewalks ... and lighting them from the underside.

I'm pretty sure they weren't talking about replacing the glass prisms - those prism are heritage I think. They were just talking about adding lighting underneath.

By 'replacing' I meant putting in new prisms where they're cracked and broken and taking out the asphalt that they've used over the years to patch the broken bits. And by 'heritage' I assume you mean simply 'old' and not 'revered' and 'untouchable'.

#12 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

By heritage I meant untouchable. The ones in one piece anyway.

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

True, the word "Heritage" has a specific meaning in Victoria. Generally, it means "something from our past" but here it often means "cannot be altered".

The DRA is very supportive of the sidewalk prism campaign. I have even suggested to the developers of the Sawyer's building in the 800 block Fort that they investigate the possibility of installing new prisms in the sidewalk as the basement of their 100+ year old building actually extends under the sidewalk (the front facade of the building was removed and moved back several feet many decades ago when Fort St. was widened and the basement was left.)

The only suggestion I made is that any new prisms not be coloured purple so that the original tiles can be differentiated from the modern ones. They could be blue, for example. The original ones were clear and turned purple over time. If we used the same "recipe" for the replacements that would be acceptable.

#14 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 01:34 PM

In the spring, there was talk of replacing the [url=http://islandnet.com/~ringuett/prism/report/prisms.htm:2e47e]glass prisms[/url:2e47e] in the downtown sidewalks ... and lighting them from the underside.

By 'replacing' I meant putting in new prisms where they're cracked and broken and taking out the asphalt that they've used over the years to patch the broken bits. And by 'heritage' I assume you mean simply 'old' and not 'revered' and 'untouchable'.

Funky, you may already be aware of this, but the Bay redevelopment will include the installation of purple amethyst sidewalks lit from below.

:)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#15 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 09 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

The only suggestion I made is that any new prisms not be coloured purple so that the original tiles can be differentiated from the modern ones. They could be blue, for example.

That seems like a good idea. I'd suggest clear rather than blue for the new ones since that was the starting point for the original prisms. There's a certain honesty in admitting the new material is in fact new as opposed to making it look like something old.

Trying to match old and new prism colours reminds me of the fellow I used to work with who would wear a red shirt and a burgundy sweater during the winter. I appreciate him making the effort to co-ordinate his wardrobe but it was a total miss (In his defence, he is red-green colourblind, but still...).

Funky, you may already be aware of this, but the Bay redevelopment will include the installation of purple amethyst sidewalks lit from below.

No, I did not know that. Thanks for pointing that out.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 11:32 AM

Great article in the NYTimes on how great lighting makes Paris even more exciting at night.

http://travel2.nytim... ... .html?8dpc

Good lessons for Victoria.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#17 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

is this newly installed lighting on the Yarrow building? I think they used to have some night lighting, but this looks different.

images from flickr

#18 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 11:14 PM

@Zoomer: I wondered about this myself. A couple of weeks ago, I nearly walked into a post on the street because I was so taken by the view of that crown, which I could see from blocks away. Seemed to me that was different... Whether it's new or I was just blind before, it looks really great!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#19 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

/edit oops I didnt even read the title of this thread.

http://www.downtownv...ca/lighting.php

Programs & Initiatives

Lighting

Cluster Lights

In the fall of 2005, the Downtown Victoria Business Association committed $27,138 to assist with the cost of fabricating and installing 55 new heritage cluster lights within the Downtown. This initiative, led and also funded by the City, has received Federal funding and a commitment is presently being awaited from another funding source.

As partners with the City on many other initiatives, in particular that of Clean & Safe: Block by Block, it was the feeling of the DVBA Board that the continued improvement of lighting levels on Downtown streets is a very important element of making our Downtown more welcoming to residents and visitors alike. The use of the historic cluster light design will reinforce the distinct charm of our Downtown while contributing to a greater sense of security.

Our ever-evolving Downtown is playing host to an increasing number of dining and entertainment establishments, which naturally draw a large portion of their clientele during evening hours. Residents and visitors alike enjoy the charm of twilight hours in the Downtown when the sun goes down and lights are turned on in public spaces and on many of our buildings. We continue to work with the City in looking at ways in which to make our Downtown evenings even more appealing. To this end, we are currently exploring with City staff the opportunity of developing a strategy for creating well-illuminated pedestrian promenades ("Corridors of Light") the length of Douglas, Government, and Wharf/Store streets - from Belleville to Chatham - and along the south side of the Inner Harbour on Belleville Street.

We have also started on a strategy for more distinctively illuminating our Downtown during the Christmas season. This past year, the DVBA worked with Capital Iron and the City of Victoria by investing $17,000 to refurbish and relight 200 existing artificial Christmas trees which are installed on the top of our cluster light standards. Utilizing the Cool Aid Casual Labour Pool, under direction from Capital Iron, the work was quickly and efficiently completed and we are currently assessing if more artificial trees should be fabricated.

:-D
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#20 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

Following up on a previous note about the "heritage cluster lights" and a comment that Bastion Square had a different theme..

I noticed yesterday that Courtney and Broughton sides of 910 Government have a different style again of heritage looking light...

Unlike the "heritage" style lights around St. Ann's Academy though, they have opaque tops so that they don't waste light on the sky...

But, that is another topic..

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users